Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I don't get about Irish weddings MOD WARNING POST #322

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't get why the top table includes the priest.

I don't get top tables, especially the row ones on a mini stage. We had a round table beside everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Why is the hotel thanked during the speeches, it's not as if the meal and service was free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Again coming back to my original post about 9/10 b&g not seeing the inside of a church since god knows when. They've probably not talked to the priest since god knows when and suddenly he's a guest of honour.

The whole obsession with a "church wedding" when you're not religious/practicing before or after the wedding smacks of hypocrisy to me.

I just don't get it. Why bother with a church wedding if you're not into the church/religion the rest of your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

amdublin wrote: »
    For sure.

Add that to the list of things I don't get.

We had a quiet wedding 35 people. Wedding cermony started at 3pm and meal at 5.30 in a restaurant that gave us a full menu.

My mother manipulator-in-law was not happy about this and got the priest to have a word with me, when this did not work she went to the doctor to complain (we have the same doctor).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

lazygal wrote: »
    I don't get top tables, especially the row ones on a mini stage. We had a round table beside everyone else.

I really hate these top tables. Sitting a straight line leering down at your subjects, only able to talk to/see the two people directly either side of you.

I had three non negotiables about the wedding, everything else was up for discussion. They were 1. No way was I getting married in a church 2. No gaggle of bridesmaids (only having one) and 3. No straight top table! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

cofy wrote: »

My mother manipulator-in-law was not happy about this and got the priest to have a word with me, when this did not work she went to the doctor to complain (we have the same doctor).

I love to be able to say i'm shocked cofy, but unfortunately i'm not as i know i'll get the same manipulative behavior, unfortunately it won't be from my mother in law to be, it will be from my mother. Myself and my OH have already decided if she causes too much trouble during the planning and booking stages etc she will be told that she has to shut up and respect what we want, and if after that there's even a hint of manipulation (she tries to use my poor dad to get me to do what she wants) of criticism she will NOT be coming to the wedding. Simple as. I know that may seem a bit harsh but i'm of the opinion that if someone is determined to make your experiences of planning the wedding miserable and your worried about them doing something to mess up your actual day that you just don't invite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Huge drives between a church and a venue because the couple fell in love with it or got a cheap deal. Not providing food on arrival at a venue after said long drive.

Also people who don't understand how it costs money to get married. It doesn't need to cost more than €200. People complaining about how expensive the day is are choosing to spend.that money.

You're giving out that if you dont have food when you arrive at a venue but your also giving out when people say its expensive.
    You haven't got a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Weddings abroad....
    100 people x €600 (min) = €60k... but as long as the bride and groom save themselves ten grand then they think that's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Thumby wrote: »
    I love to be able to say i'm shocked cofy, but unfortunately i'm not as i know i'll get the same manipulative behavior, unfortunately it won't be from my mother in law to be, it will be from my mother. Myself and my OH have already decided if she causes too much trouble during the planning and booking stages etc she will be told that she has to shut up and respect what we want, and if after that there's even a hint of manipulation (she tries to use my poor dad to get me to do what she wants) of criticism she will NOT be coming to the wedding. Simple as. I know that may seem a bit harsh but i'm of the opinion that if someone is determined to make your experiences of planning the wedding miserable and your worried about them doing something to mess up your actual day that you just don't invite them.

Best of luck with your wedding:)

Which is another thing I don't get is the trouble caused by inlaws, "OOhhhh, the stress of it will kill me" atittude on the lead up and then turn up on the day all smiles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

doolox wrote: »
    I made the mistake of not getting food between the ceremony and the dinner for the first 2 times but ever afterwards I would go off to a local sandwich shop, cafe or take away to fill up on some food

How many times have you been married?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Best of luck with your wedding:)

Which is another thing I don't get is the trouble caused by inlaws, "OOhhhh, the stress of it will kill me" attitude on the lead up and then turn up on the day all smiles.

lmao, I know right? I mean they aren't paying for it, they aren't organizing it and they don't have to listen to themselves so where their stress is coming from I just don't know. :)

Oh and the thing that gets me the most is why people (who aren't the bride or groom) make it all about them. It's not their wedding or their day so why in the name of christ is anything about them? Right fair enough when it comes to the wedding party certain things are going to be focused on them alright, but after that people outside of those have absolutely no reason to going all " me me me" on it.

davo2001 wrote: »
    You're giving out that if you dont have food when you arrive at a venue but your also giving out when people say its expensive.
    You haven't got a clue!

If you're making people drive an hour because of your choices it'd only be right to feed them. If you're choosing to have long drives because of venue and churches budget for food, don't be giving out that the costs are mounting if you haven't budgeted properly. We purposely chose to have a small bridal party and minimum decor because we wanted to feed and waterour guests properly. But equally if we couldn't afford to treat guests properly we'd only have spent the €150 it actually cost to get married, the fee has increased since. Don't expect. people to be delighted because you fell in love.with a remote venue and can't be arsed providing a few sangers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mulamike

9. Weddings abroad
    Bride - "we're getting married abroad. We're going to basically transpose a carbon copy of every irish wedding you've been at and do everything exactly the same but in another country. It'll be way cheaper for us, and you still have to give us the exact same wedding present money (even though we have everything we need) aaand you get a holiday to a country you haven't chosen to go to! (which you pay for)"
    You - eh sounds great

Lol!
    That's a really good idea.

This is the worst. It's cheaper out whereever for us. But everyone else attending will have to take holidays from work, you'll need to pay a few hundred for flights, you'll need to spend an extra few hundred on multiple nights accommodation versus one nights, you'll need to pay for transport to and from the airport on either side. Oh and we still expect the same present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 mulamike

Why is the hotel thanked during the speeches, it's not as if the meal and service was free.

Same reason you say thanks when someone serves you in a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kontrapasa

As a foreigner living in Ireland and having attended few Irish weddings:
    2. The obsession with church weddings for non practicing/non religious people.
    I'd wager 9/10 b&g's don't see the inside of a church from one year to the next but they must have a church wedding. Doubt they see the inside of the church again for a long time after.
    I just don't get it.

Also in confidence they tell you how annoying/rip off the premarital course is and that they have asked the priest to keep it short. I thought getting married in front of God was the highlight and the whole point of your bid day? :rolleyes: Sure we'll come back when the baby needs to be christened ;) then again this is not exclusive to Irish people but it happens in so much higher percentage than where I come from.
    Huge drives between a church and a venue because the couple fell in love with it or got a cheap deal. Not providing food on arrival at a venue after said long drive.
    +1
    6. Start time and dinner time
    Early ceremony (12.30/1pm etc) and then dinner not until 5.30 with no food in between.
    Why not just married at 3.30/4pm and go straight into dinner?
    OR (please!) provide food in between - and not cupcakes, cocktail sausages or something!

7. Speeches before dinner.
    See above, we are starving. If you want people to pay attention to your speeches do them during dessert. Or at a push during soup.

8. Long speeches
    Imo only really close family find the speeches interesting/entertaining.
    Imo everyone finds them tedious and boring but we are all too polite to say this so we labour under the pretence that we enjoyed sitting there for 45 minutes while we'd rather be at the bar.

+1 Where I come from there is no more than 2 hours between mass/civil ceremony and sit down for food. Also when you arrive at the venue (while bride and groom are taking pictures) there's extensive selection of canapes and drink for guest as soon as you walk through the door.

We don't have speeches at all. Bride and groom say few words and thank everyone and that's it. Somebody may grab the micro and say few words, but usually something unplanned and funny and less than 5 mins. Find speeches long, boring and too formal.

+1 Bride and groom sit with their friends in a round table just like everyone else, and get to enjoy their day, relax and have fun. I find top table very "royal wedding" like...:D
    +1
    +1

Also:
    - Bridesmaid and groomsmen: We don't have such an entourage. You have your witnesses, usually mother or father and that's it. Your siblings/close friends may help you preparing the wedding but doesn't mean they need to be "highlighted" or given an special place in your wedding day, and certainly no need to dress them up in matching outfits.

- Only drink offered for free being wine throughout the meal and few beer bottles in the reception while waiting for bride and groom: You can have any drink you like before the meal, throughout the meal and then there is open bar until 8-9pm at least. Bride and groom pay for it. For us it'd be rude to ask your guest to pay for their own drink on a party you've organized and specially knowing that they have probably "overpaid" for their own cost with the gift they gave you.

- The too "formal" feeling throughout the day until the band starts playing (only then starts the fun IMO). For me everything feels like it has to be perfect and following the script of a royal wedding, red carpet, speeches, top table, OTT table decorations, the priest saying prayer and blessing, fancy cars, reading out the congrats calls and text, bridesmaid/grooms men, flower girl and page boy....; to me it just reminds me of a royal wedding in a smaller scale...
    Where I come from everything is more familiar and relaxed; Rice is thrown at the couple as soon as they walk out from ceremony (to wish them prosperity) and everyone approaches them to give them hugs and kisses, there is no lining up to shake their hand and move on as in Irish weddings. Throughout the meal, the younger generation (mostly friends of b&g) will sing songs making puns and requesting the bride and groom to kiss, making them stand up and kiss each other several times. There will be cheers and big applauses. There will be more songs. There is always some kinda surprise from the closest friends too and everyone is chatting and having a laugh, there is no need to keep quiet (as like in speeches or anything like that), and bride and groom are more accessible sitting among their friends and no at the top table. I think this allows for a better "celebration" of the day, where there is true joy and craic in the atmosphere and it can be felt by everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

I think a lot of these "don't gets" are to do with our tradition and culture, and while a lot is changing and people are now doing things that make more logical sense, it is nice to keep a bit of tradition and culture in there....otherwise why not have an English or American wedding with completely different cultures (that may or may not make more sense).

Also, a wedding is one of the most emotional "purchases" you are ever going to make, so the same rational thinking doesn't go into it as it would for a car, for example. People go with tradition to keep people happy, or gut feel (far away venue) over practicalities because to be fair, it's a day about love and emotion and should feel right!

That said, here's my addition to list:
    totally agree on the lack of food between ceremony and meal. We've an hour long drive from church to venue, so to combat that, we're putting on food in the pub next door to the church (people will go in anyway) and on arrival at the venue, and crisp stands all around....hopefully people won't be too stuffed though!

Long engagements - you get engaged to get married, not to be engaged or to have a wedding! Anything more than a year I just don't get! Definitely more of an Irish thing.

Hotel packages - when did this become the standard? And why are so few people reluctant to look outside the norm?

Parents friends/ neighbours - country thing, where you have to be seen to invite everyone in the area or its an embarrassment on your family. We're not doing this and it's already being talked about in the local pub (even though I haven't lived in the area for 15 years!).

Moany guests and begrudgers - a lot of the people in here sound like the moany guests :rolleyes:. Moaning about being hungry, how loud the band are, the seating arrangments.....just get over it, and try your best to enjoy the day and smile for the photos!
    And the begrudgers - definitely a part of our culture....dying to hear how much people spent on this and that, and rolling their eyes or begrudging if it's any way expensive. You see an awful lot of that on here!! If people have the money and want to spend it on a big party to treat their friends and family, let them!! We've had to lie about how much certain aspects of our wedding are costing (yes, people ask!!) just cos we know the negative reaction we'll get!

To counteract some of the other "don't gets"
    Church weddings - hands up, I'm one of those. Go to mass when I'm down home, but never outside of that. Totally disagree with non church goers going to a church they've never been in to get married, cos it looks pretty. For me, it was local church, which I have a strong sentimental attachment to (rather than religious) or civil ceremony. For a lot of people, the local church symbolises more than God!

Cash as presents - totally agree that's rude to ask, but as a people, Irish people are extremely generous. Generosity is part of our culture (ask anyone who has married a British person!!), and even though it can be tough on people, I think our generosity is a nice thing! These days, as people have almost everything they need, cash makes most sense. I do know though that a lot of couples add the cash they expect into the pricing of their wedding, which I don't get!

Interfering parents/ in-laws - it's all starting to kick off for me, and it's wrecking my head a bit, but again it's something that's part of irish culture, and dates back to when parents used to pay for the weddings. Kinda counteracts my above point though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Kontrapasa wrote: »

Also in confidence they tell you how annoying/rip off the premarital course is and that they have asked the priest to keep it short. I thought getting married in front of God was the highlight and the whole point of your bid day? :rolleyes: Sure we'll come back when the baby needs to be christened ;) then again this is not exclusive to Irish people but it happens in so much higher percentage than where I come from.

+1

+1 Where I come from there is no more than 2 hours between mass/civil ceremony and sit down for food. Also when you arrive at the venue (while bride and groom are taking pictures) there's extensive selection of canapes and drink for guest as soon as you walk through the door.

We don't have speeches at all. Bride and groom say few words and thank everyone and that's it. Somebody may grab the micro and say few words, but usually something unplanned and funny and less than 5 mins. Find speeches long, boring and too formal.

+1 Bride and groom sit with their friends in a round table just like everyone else, and get to enjoy their day, relax and have fun. I find top table very "royal wedding" like...:D

+1

+1

Also:
    - Bridesmaid and groomsmen: We don't have such an entourage. You have your witnesses, usually mother or father and that's it. Your siblings/close friends may help you preparing the wedding but doesn't mean they need to be "highlighted" or given an special place in your wedding day, and certainly no need to dress them up in matching outfits.

- Only drink offered for free being wine throughout the meal and few beer bottles in the reception while waiting for bride and groom: You can have any drink you like before the meal, throughout the meal and then there is open bar until 8-9pm at least. Bride and groom pay for it. For us it'd be rude to ask your guest to pay for their own drink on a party you've organized and specially knowing that they have probably "overpaid" for their own cost with the gift they gave you.

- The too "formal" feeling throughout the day until the band starts playing (only then starts the fun IMO). For me everything feels like it has to be perfect and following the script of a royal wedding, red carpet, speeches, top table, OTT table decorations, the priest saying prayer and blessing, fancy cars, reading out the congrats calls and text, bridesmaid/grooms men, flower girl and page boy....; to me it just reminds me of a royal wedding in a smaller scale...
    Where I come from everything is more familiar and relaxed; Rice is thrown at the couple as soon as they walk out from ceremony (to wish them prosperity) and everyone approaches them to give them hugs and kisses, there is no lining up to shake their hand and move on as in Irish weddings. Throughout the meal, the younger generation (mostly friends of b&g) will sing songs making puns and requesting the bride and groom to kiss, making them stand up and kiss each other several times. There will be cheers and big applauses. There will be more songs. There is always some kinda surprise from the closest friends too and everyone is chatting and having a laugh, there is no need to keep quiet (as like in speeches or anything like that), and bride and groom are more accessible sitting among their friends and no at the top table. I think this allows for a better "celebration" of the day, where there is true joy and craic in the atmosphere and it can be felt by everyone. :)

Where are you from!!?? I want to move there! Also... Free bar till 8-9pm!!.... Yaaaas!

kkcatlou wrote: »
    I think a lot of these "don't gets" are to do with our tradition and culture, and while a lot is changing and people are now doing things that make more logical sense, it is nice to keep a bit of tradition and culture in there....otherwise why not have an English or American wedding with completely different cultures (that may or may not make more sense).

Also, a wedding is one of the most emotional "purchases" you are ever going to make, so the same rational thinking doesn't go into it as it would for a car, for example. People go with tradition to keep people happy, or gut feel (far away venue) over practicalities because to be fair, it's a day about love and emotion and should feel right!

That said, here's my addition to list:
    totally agree on the lack of food between ceremony and meal. We've an hour long drive from church to venue, so to combat that, we're putting on food in the pub next door to the church (people will go in anyway) and on arrival at the venue, and crisp stands all around....hopefully people won't be too stuffed though!

Long engagements - you get engaged to get married, not to be engaged or to have a wedding! Anything more than a year I just don't get! Definitely more of an Irish thing.

Hotel packages - when did this become the standard? And why are so few people reluctant to look outside the norm?

Parents friends/ neighbours - country thing, where you have to be seen to invite everyone in the area or its an embarrassment on your family. We're not doing this and it's already being talked about in the local pub (even though I haven't lived in the area for 15 years!).

Moany guests and begrudgers - a lot of the people in here sound like the moany guests :rolleyes:. Moaning about being hungry, how loud the band are, the seating arrangments.....just get over it, and try your best to enjoy the day and smile for the photos!
    And the begrudgers - definitely a part of our culture....dying to hear how much people spent on this and that, and rolling their eyes or begrudging if it's any way expensive. You see an awful lot of that on here!! If people have the money and want to spend it on a big party to treat their friends and family, let them!! We've had to lie about how much certain aspects of our wedding are costing (yes, people ask!!) just cos we know the negative reaction we'll get!

To counteract some of the other "don't gets"
    Church weddings - hands up, I'm one of those. Go to mass when I'm down home, but never outside of that. Totally disagree with non church goers going to a church they've never been in to get married, cos it looks pretty. For me, it was local church, which I have a strong sentimental attachment to (rather than religious) or civil ceremony. For a lot of people, the local church symbolises more than God!

Cash as presents - totally agree that's rude to ask, but as a people, Irish people are extremely generous. Generosity is part of our culture (ask anyone who has married a British person!!), and even though it can be tough on people, I think our generosity is a nice thing! These days, as people have almost everything they need, cash makes most sense. I do know though that a lot of couples add the cash they expect into the pricing of their wedding, which I don't get!

Interfering parents/ in-laws - it's all starting to kick off for me, and it's wrecking my head a bit, but again it's something that's part of irish culture, and dates back to when parents used to pay for the weddings. Kinda counteracts my above point though!

+1 to nearly everything you have said. Great points.

However, the moaner in me hates long long speeches. It's the only thing I have literally ever moaned about at a wedding and prob only happened once. Father of a groom talked for about 30minutes before the meal. Oooooo gawd.... Everybody had completely switched off....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Kontrapasa wrote: »

+1

+1

+1

Also:

Sounds like a Spanish wedding to me! Been to one, and while it was great, I still do like our traditions and culture more (cos i'm Irish I suppose).

I didn't like the late wedding - waiting around all day for the wedding to start. i didn't like the short wait between church and ceremony - this is a great time to catch up with people and enjoy some hopefully complimentary food and drinks.

I really felt uncomfortable with a lot of that camaradarie that goes on during the meal. Most of us Irish didn't get it, and it was messy. And I also didn't like that the meal took about 4 hours to get through!

And the lack of speeches was weird. Like that somebody got up and made some jokes, but there was none of the sentimentality you get at an irish wedding - which granted, usually is OTT, but a small bit is nice...when else are you going to get praise like that from your nearest and dearest?

But that's cos I'm Irish and I'm conditioned to like what we do.

To be honest, most things people do, they do because they work and are tried and tested. And slowly but surely, the things that don't work are being filtered out and replaced by those that do make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Where are you from!!?? I want to move there! Also... Free bar till 8-9pm!!.... Yaaaas!

I think a free bar at an Irish wedding would bankrupt most couples :D

My friend married a man from Africa with very wealthy parents. They insisted on paying for the bar even when told it wasn't the norm. After 45 minutes the bill was at 8 grand and they pulled the plug!

• Advertisement

We had a free bar and it didn't break the bank. Most people didn't take advantage and it was one of the best things we did. Didn't cost near eight grand either.

We had a free bar and it didn't break the bank. Most people didn't take advantage and it was one of the best things we did. Didn't cost near eight grand either.

Your friends and family have a lot more restraint than mine (or at least my OHs). Lol. It's a nice gesture if you have guests who don't drink too much. If we did that I would've been bankrupt. People would've totalled pulled the p*ss.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Your friends and family have a lot more restraint than mine (or at least my OHs). Lol. It's a nice gesture if you have guests who don't drink too much. If we did that I would've been bankrupt. People would've totalled pulled the p*ss.

Well we knew our crowd. We also had some rules like no.doubles or cocktails or premium spirits. If we were hosting any other event we'd provide all food and drink so it made sense to do it for a wedding we.hosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kontrapasa

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Sounds like a Spanish wedding to me! Been to one, and while it was great, I still do like our traditions and culture more (cos i'm Irish I suppose).

I didn't like the late wedding - waiting around all day for the wedding to start. i didn't like the short wait between church and ceremony - this is a great time to catch up with people and enjoy some hopefully complimentary food and drinks.

I really felt uncomfortable with a lot of that camaradarie that goes on during the meal. Most of us Irish didn't get it, and it was messy. And I also didn't like that the meal took about 4 hours to get through!

And the lack of speeches was weird. Like that somebody got up and made some jokes, but there was none of the sentimentality you get at an irish wedding - which granted, usually is OTT, but a small bit is nice...when else are you going to get praise like that from your nearest and dearest?

But that's cos I'm Irish and I'm conditioned to like what we do.

To be honest, most things people do, they do because they work and are tried and tested. And slowly but surely, the things that don't work are being filtered out and replaced by those that do make sense.

Spot on! :D I realize we're different culturally and we're way more touchy and on top of each other kinda, which sometimes clashes with other cultures were they're "colder" or like to keep their distances, but I personally prefer this rather than having to be quiet for an hour listening to the father's speech then the other father then the groomsmen and so on. And I find it silly looking when they're reading it straight from a paper (I have been to a couple of those!), I get having cue cards, like you're nervous and want to make sure you remember everything but reading straight from paper....lost my attention in 3, 2, 1... :P
    Yeah, like although cost adds up people don't go crazy and they only drink as much as if they were paying for it. It doesn't become a drink as much as you can while is free game.

One thing I really like about Irish wedding tho I have to say is having a good band. We used to have bands but once DJs started showing up, they have almost vanished and it's really hard to come across one. DJ's do great jobs usually and interact with the people and bring in as much fun as band would, but I really like the Irish culture of live music in bar/pubs and weddings. You can't beat a great live band playing covers and being entertaining :)

Well we knew our crowd. We also had some rules like no.doubles or cocktails or premium spirits. If we were hosting any other event we'd provide all food and drink so it made sense to do it for a wedding we.hosted.

Lol... We knew our crowd aswell... All of them... Which is why we wouldn't have provided all drinks. Lol
    Ah ok fair enough... I though you meant ALL drink and all types of drink. We had about 150 at ours and provided pretty much unlimited (good) wine and champers. It just wouldn't have been possible to allow for cocktails and spirits etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

What I really hate about other people's weddings is *insert list of criticisms and things I didn't do*

It's not like my wedding, where we *insert pointless bragging about how my wedding was brilliant and everyone else's is crap*

*repeat ad nauseum until thread goes down toilet and is inevitably locked*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

We had a quiet wedding 35 people. Wedding cermony started at 3pm and meal at 5.30 in a restaurant that gave us a full menu.

cofy, I have to ask, what did she want the doctor to do...prescribe a bigger wedding! :D

LynnGrace wrote: »
    cofy, I have to ask, what did she want the doctor to do...prescribe a bigger wedding! :D

Prescription for a bottle of cop on I'd say, take three times daily until you cop on to.yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I actually think Irish weddins are great.

I like the way they are a day-long event, really marks the occasion.
    Also speeches personalise it a lot, even if you don't really know the b+g you get an idea of their story. Best man speeches are generally hilarious.

I don't get why so many people complain about them
    - you don't have to attend
    - you don't have to give a gift

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I actually think Irish weddins are great.

I like the way they are a day-long event, really marks the occasion.
    Also speeches personalise it a lot, even if you don't really know the b+g you get an idea of their story. Best man speeches are generally hilarious.

Lol! You joking! I tend to know the story of the b&g before I go to their wedding!

Best men speeches IMO are generally rubbish, cringe and boring (in no particular order).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement