Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Turkey

Options
  • 11-12-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Right, about 3 weeks ago (well, 3 weeks ago tomorrow), I had my last rollie, and quit. My reason: my legs feeling like jelly when I ran for the train, and I still missed it. Now, if I run for the train, I'm still out of breath, but legs are less jelly like. Also started to got the gym.

REALLY FÚCKING miss the rollie's, tho :( But I take each day as it comes, and so far, so good.

So to anyone thinking of quitting, finish the packet, and stop. Don't buy any more. After a few days, you'll think of having one lessens, but 3 weeks later, I still crave a Drum rollie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Cold Turkey is definitely the quickest way to quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

48 hours and counting
    jesus its hard, but i am chain chewing lidl sugar free gum

Even some of my posts are narky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Even some of my posts are narky!

Lol. Best of luck all.

5 days and still ok.

Watch out for coffee... it is kicking in the cravings.

I can actually feel the cravings get worse when i am leaving work and off the train heading into the car (i would smoke on my way home).. that has got to be a habit thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've never managed cold turkey. I've always needed something to take the edge off it, either gum or the patch.

5 days with patch and gum and I'm feeling fine actually. Haven't craved a cigarette since Tuesday. Wacky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

I don't know why but I found giving up smoking easy, I was on the Mar reds and I just stoped smoking them, good luck guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The best way I found was to stop saying 'Give up" because you really are on the wrong track if you think you are losing something because you are actually gaining so much and just losing something that was controling your life. Instead of looking at someone and envying them because they were smoking you should look at them with pity because you have stopped and are no longer a slave to nicotine. Don't count the days that you have not smoked just get on with your life grateful that your days of spending a fortune on those disgusting tasting cigarettes are over. Some people might say that they like the taste of them but that is only because you have forced your body to get used to it because we all remember the first cigarette and how horrible it tasted.
    It's a wonderful feeling waking up in the morning not thinking about when I will have my first fag and that happened straight away because I just got on with it and let myself be happy about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I gave up on sunday spur of the moment was going to wait until Jan 1st but thought what the hell i'll stop now. I was doing ok till last night. I really, really want a cigarette. The only thing stopping me from going out to buy a pack right now is that I know I'll be back to square one again. I cant even have 1 or i'll be back on them. I'm trying to keep myself occupied to stop thinking about them. I really look forward to this feeling passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Cant say I agree with the cold turkey method

I quit 3 years ago using the nicotene patches and wouldnt have succeeded without them. I still had cravings (and still have some now and again) but the patch took the edge off them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 savob

What's the best thing to replace the whole 'cigarette buzz' without hitting the chocolate etc...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

I went off them cold turkey last year, stayed off them for 3 months, went back on them becuasde I broke up with my ex and I knew it would annoy him (childish I know) I was fine after about a week. Im off them 2 days now, finding it hard to occupy myself, went for a 2 hour walk last night, I say if you need to eat, eat. Just walk it off. A couple of pounds is worth being cancer free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

savob wrote:
    What's the best thing to replace the whole 'cigarette buzz' without hitting the chocolate etc...?

I found closing my eyes and taking a big deep breath, and really focusing on it for about 10-15 seconds helped me get over the initial pangs. A glass of water is also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I went cold turkey on the 1st of Jan last year and haven't had one since. It was tough for the first month and even after 3 months I was still thinking about having a cig when out for the night.

Now I can even go out with my smoking mates and I don't even think about having one and I even let them smoke in my kitchen or if its a girl in my bed! :D

I'm FREE at last!!!

My trick was cups of coffee and good luck to anyone who's trying to quit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

there is a little dip in the middle of your collar bone just under your neck and APPARENTLY pressing on theis firmly with your thumb can help ease a craving.
    Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dlane99

I read allen carrs book.
    It worked a treat,
    am off them 6 months and havnt wanted to smoke since
    i finished the book.
    at the start i still had cravings but the book puts you in a frame of mind to
    understand whats actually going on.
    I always said id never read a "self-help" book,
    i always thought they were a bit of a joke.
    to be honest i feel a little bit brain washed but i dont really mind.
    i would defo recomend it to anyone after giving up or thinking about giving up,
    he encourages you to smoke while reading the book (if your not already off em!)
    DO IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Good luck with it Syco, I intend to be quitting soon, have tried in the past so I know what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭maggz

Day 4 for me!!! I was dreaming that I was smoking last nite and woke up thinking - oh no i had a cigarette. But i didnt :D
    Anyway, my cravings are so bad in the morning. Ive had my coffee though now so im feeling a bit better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I tried cold turkey but that made me wanna smoke even more, so I tried cold ham, not much better. Back to my 10 a day habit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

homeOwner wrote:
    I gave up on sunday spur of the moment was going to wait until Jan 1st but thought what the hell i'll stop now. I was doing ok till last night. I really, really want a cigarette. The only thing stopping me from going out to buy a pack right now is that I know I'll be back to square one again. I cant even have 1 or i'll be back on them. I'm trying to keep myself occupied to stop thinking about them. I really look forward to this feeling passing.
    I think that is the most important thing you need to remember when quitting.
    Easier said than done, but important nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Well done to all !!

Have nt had a cig since Wednesday the 3rd Jan 8.30am - have used 4 pieces of nicorette gum since and today is Sunday- the Carr tells you not to use them though so im keeping them to a minimun...8 years of 20 a day and now this.........:D I dunno whether to laugh or cry !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

3 weeks off them at this point. Have been cold turkey the past week after doing the first two with the help of patches/gum. Sleeping pattern has been a bit weird and my eating habits have changed but overall things are going fine. Am past the 'cravings stage' and into the concious decision to go back again stage if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

New years resolution still in tact. It's surprisingly easier than I thought, although I haven't been through any major tests yet like stress or a night out with smoker friends. Food is tasting better as well. Hope I can keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

I smoked for 15 years, the last 10 of which, i was a very heavy smoker. I read the allen carr book and haven't smoked since. Also, the difference between this and any other time I've tried to quit was i don't look at smokers, wishing i could have a blast or any of that b0llox. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm 17 months off them now.

Best of luck to anyone trying to quit at the moment. If i can do it, anyone can. And remember, if you cave in and have one, it doesn't mean you should go back on to 20 sweet afton a day. It means you should try harder tomorrow.

Again, best of luck guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Native Tongue

maggz wrote:
    Day 4 for me!!! I was dreaming that I was smoking last nite and woke up thinking - oh no i had a cigarette. But i didnt :D
    Anyway, my cravings are so bad in the morning. Ive had my coffee though now so im feeling a bit better

I had that dream on around the 4th or 5th day too. Was so relieved to find out it was a dream when I woke up.

I think of it like this. If I get a craving, by the time I get to the shop to buy a packet, the craving will have passed. I have told all my smoker friends not to give me a cigarette no matter what I say. The less access you have to cigarettes the better (yes it's stating the obvious but many don't restrict their access to them enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I'm on my 8th day, and it's so so hard. It's going to get worse next week when I'm back in college and back into my old routine. I managed to give up last January for five months, and it's only the thought that I did it before which is keeping me going.

had one yesterday after 4 weeks i think...
    the roads were so icy and the car sliding around (was driving on teh m7), i just cracked when someone said i could do with one.

am a bit pissed off but, at the time i thought it was necessary

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Tried cold turkey before and it was absolute torture for the whole 6 hours or so that I lasted. I felt dizzy, sick, seriously bad form...just had to go buy a pack then.

I am planning to stop soon (I have about 400 duty free to get through first :) ) and I really am dreading it. I have tried several times before, the longest I lasted was about 8 months with one or two drink related slip ups along the way - this was about 6 years ago and life is a tad more difficut these days (I know, excuses are like a*sholes, everyone has one). A stressful house sale in the end gave me the excuse to go back on them.

Each time I have tried has been with Nicorette Gum which I do find helps (but obviously not enough). As there have been several attempts that have failed, I reckon I need to try an alternative method...as mentioned already, cold turkey really won't work for me, even if I'm stuck in a meeting for more than an hour my head starts seriously thinking that I need a smoke!

I also tried accupuncture which I didn't think worked but did actually stay off them for a week before finally convincing myself that it hadn't worked :rolleyes: Maybe I need to try this again, maybe I didn't even need to type this post, I just answered my own question :D Part of my problem is the large split in terms of wanting to and not wanting to give up, the devil on my shoulder is much more vocal in telling me to stay a smoker, but there is a little angel dude trying to get his voice aired too.

Finally, what about hypnosis? Pricey twould seem but anyone know of success stories?

Sheesh that was a long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Archeron

Felixdhc wrote:

Finally, what about hypnosis? Pricey twould seem but anyone know of success stories?

Hey there Felixdhc,
    I done the hypnosis, and it worked a treat for me. I'm off them about 15 months now and not a craving in sight. It cost me €200 (at the time, I think its much dearer now though, app 300 to 400). I wouldnt originally have put much credence to it, but I cant argue with results. I do think though that you have to truly want to give up. When I stopped I hated smoking more than anything, and I think this was at least half of what helped me stop. Good luck when you try again.

Advertisement