Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things I don't get about Irish weddings MOD WARNING POST #322

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Feel free there why don't you to jump straight in and scoff scorn and mock Catholics doing their Catholic thing in a Catholic building.
    I mean its not as if we have any rights or feelings or anything..

I'm actually mocking non Catholics doing a Catholic thing. The Catholics can do whatever they like as far as I'm concerned, they're not the ones perpetuating something they don't believe in for the sake of a nice building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Meanwhile the priest delightedly goes into the private rooms at the back and winks up at the almighty, 'we got another couple God, don't worry if they're not believers, they promised to raise the kids catholic, so we got the numbers which is what counts!'

The whole purpose of marriage, according to the Catholics, is to produce children (that's why gay marriage is such a horror to them, no kiddies!), and you gotta raise those kids to go to a church to take marriage vows and agree to raise their kids catholic etc.... It's a great way of perpetuating the nonsense.

I feel sorry for all the gay people who won't be able to get married in Catholic Churches - they are such nice venues, doncha know?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think there has been a huge move away from church weddings since other venues became approved for civil ceremonies.

When the HSE agree to allow registrars marry people on Saturdays and Sundays there will be further movement. And when gay marriage becomes legal there will be further movement again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I feel sorry for all the gay people who won't be able to get married in Catholic Churches - they are such nice venues, doncha know?! ;)

These guys are try this.
    [url]Http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2383686/Millionaire-gay-fathers-sue-Church-England-allowing-married-church.html[/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I think there has been a huge move away from church weddings since other venues became approved for civil ceremonies.

When the HSE agree to allow registrars marry people on Saturdays and Sundays there will be further movement. And when gay marriage becomes legal there will be further movement again.

And I was hoping that with the advent of civil ceremonies and lay celebrants etc that nonreligious couples would move away from the traditional church wedding and organise a lovely do in a hotel or something instead.
    The church should be reserved for those who respect and appreciate the rules.
    Unfortunately the 4 wedding invites (all lapsed catholics) on my mantelpiece for this year all are sticking with church dos.
    The sooner the better priests start gently refusing these people.
    Why don't they try wandering into a synagogue/temple/mosque and ask to hire the venue and the celebrant, oh and don't forget to mention how your guests will spend the ceremony wandering around wily nilly and then litter the yard with fag buts for someone else to sweep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Feel free there why don't you to jump straight in and scoff scorn and mock Catholics doing their Catholic thing in a Catholic building.

Are there any Catholic teachings you don't follow? Sex before marriage? Mass on holy days of obligation? No contraception apart from natural family planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

eviltwin wrote: »
    I really hate the inevitable "any news" you get after you get married ( although I'm sure all couples get it, not just Irish ones ).

One of my major pet peeves. It is such an extremely inappropriate question to ask anybody :mad:

My list of pet hates:
    Long distance between church and venue. Not only do you usually have to travel some distance to get to church, then you have to drive a further hour to get to the venue.

No food on arrival. Put something on for your guests - sandwiches, chips, sausages, scones, something - it doesn't have to be canapés. And biscuits don't count as something substantial.

No food on arrival is preferable to my next pet hate. Food on arrival that is only for the bridal party. Yes I've been at a wedding where we were all very hungry (after this episode I always eat now before the church), we were told we wouldn't be called for the meal til later than normal and that speeches would be on first. So we were all hanging with the hunger. A waitress walks by with the only food we could see at the drinks reception and we asked her for some only to be told "sorry the food is for the bridal party only" :eek: WTF.

Having the ceremony at 12 noon and then not having the meal til 6 - ridiculous. Get married at 2 and then have the meal around 5 or 6.

Kids at wedding receptions - it's not an appropriate place for them, leave your children at home.

People expecting or presuming that their precious kids will be invited to your wedding and some who expect said kid to be in the bridal party and then refuse to attend when you say no.

Brides who go nutso on the fake tan when they never wear it normally or else wear really dark fake tan for the day. No you don't look like you have a healthy glow, you look ridiculous. Same applies to makeup - dark heavy makeup that doesn't suit.

Brides who expect their bridesmaids to drop everything in the months running up to the wedding, go dress shopping, do wedding jobs, etc and then b!tch and moan when the bridesmaids don't share the same enthusiasm as the bride about her "big day". Do your jobs yourself, pick out your dress yourself and for goodness sake don't pick some minging disgusting dress for your bridesmaids and expect them not to moan about it. What is up with some brides where they expect that the bridesmaid should be happy wearing something that is disgustingly unflattering just because it's the bride's "big day"?

Hen parties that involve overnight stays. What's wrong with dinner and a few drinks?

Weddings abroad. Went to one once and never again unless it was for an immediate family member, ie a sibling of me or my husband's. For anybody else - no way.

Couples who after the wedding can't even be bothered to send you a thank you card for the very generous gift you gave them and who have told you on a few occasions that your thank you card is in their house but they haven't gotten around to it yet. Two years on and still no thank you card. I ensured we sent all out cards out within a couple of months. It's basic manners :mad:

That's all for now, I'll think of lots more later!

As an aside on the whole religious debate - just because you don't go to mass doesn't mean you can't consider yourself a Catholic. Mass is not a requirement to be a Catholic. Plenty of people don't attend for a variety of reasons - be they too ill to attend or just don't like the particular priest on their local church. It doesn't mean you're any less Catholic than a regular mass goer.

In the UK the C of E has a complicated relationship with the state.
    But the C C basically is a completely independent organisation and cannot be compelled too change its rules.
    Priests are not state employees and can accept or decline a request to act as a marriage celebrant.
    In fact they frequently do if they think one or both of the couple are not mentally competent to be married.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

lazygal wrote: »
    Are there any Catholic teachings you don't follow? Sex before marriage? Mass on holy days of obligation? No contraception apart from natural family planning?

Why are you asking? So you can tell her she's not a proper Catholic if she answers 'Yes' to any of those?

Mmmmm. No. Why do you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

tinkerbell wrote: »

Hen parties that involve overnight stays. What's wrong with dinner and a few drinks?

This is one that drives me nuts. No, I DON'T want to go to Carlow, or wherever, for your hen night. I want to go out in town and be back in my own bed by 12pm!!

Mmmmm. No. Why do you ask?

I've yet to meet a self described Catholic who follows all the rules. If the club members don't respect the rules why should anyone else? I know people who got ivf, contrary to Catholic rules, who don't think that applies to them. And most couples I know who had church weddings lived together before marriage, used contraception and rarely attended services.

Why are you asking? So you can tell her she's not a proper Catholic if she answers 'Yes' to any of those?

I can't think of any other reason. I think I'm supposed to be ashamed to say I'm a practising Catholic . But I'm not.

I don't get those silly hen party sashes!

And I feel embarrassed when I see mother of the brides drinking from a straw with a plastic willy on it.

Hen parties are something I don't get, stag parties too. You're already asking people to a full day wedding, why expect them to attend another knees up. And asking people to them and not inviting them to the wedding itself is something I don't get.

Hen parties are something I don't get, stag parties too. You're already asking people to a full day wedding, why expect them to attend another knees up. And asking people to them and not inviting them to the wedding itself is something I don't get.

That happens???!!!:eek:

This is one that drives me nuts. No, I DON'T want to go to Carlow, or wherever, for your hen night. I want to go out in town and be back in my own bed by 12pm!!
    Or this place
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-warning-hens-and-stags-to-take-care-in-irish-town-at-weekend-30089796.html

Jesus, did this happen to you oh that's so rude. Bloody cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Something that really annoys me, not specifically Irish, but when you see pictures of brides who look NOTHING like themselves on their wedding day. Whether it's cos they've gone overboard on the weight loss or the fake tan or cos they insist on doing Victoria Beckham/Zoolander style posing in every picture, it always just makes me sad. Like it's your wedding day..crack a smile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

One thing I do NOT get: Lack of Perspective...

Brides who will book a 5 star venue, spend thousands on a dress, 6 months of pre-wedding facials, candy carts, chocolate fountains etc etc... But want bands for 800/900 euro and ceremony music for €80/90 per person...

A little perspective ladies and gentlemen :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

AoifeCork wrote: »
    One thing I do NOT get: Lack of Perspective...

Brides who will book a 5 star venue, spend thousands on a dress, 6 months of pre-wedding facials, candy carts, chocolate fountains etc etc... But want bands for 800/900 euro and ceremony music for €80/90 per person...

A little perspective ladies and gentlemen :)

Amen to that. Another thing that gets me is this: Couples will spend 000's on the dress, flowers, favours and venue. But when asked to make a contribution to the church and priest start kicking off. Seriously - did they expect the priest to marry them for free? And how on earth did they expect the church to be heated and cleaned with electric and running water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

You must be checking out the talent and not paying attention - it is included in every single catholic ceremony.

In fact if you asked for it to be taken out I would imagine the priest has been instructed to tell you the ceremony is off!!!

It's a biggie for the RCC

It can be removed for a few reasons. If a couple is older and unlikely to have children is a common reason. Also it is reworded if they already have children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

What about if you, as a Catholic, thought that a mosque or synagogue was a beautiful building? Would you agree to get married in a traditional ceremony there even though you didn't follow that religion? Or would you agree that that's quite dismissive and disrespectful to that religion?

Sure; but the building wouldn't have the same memories as my local church would, which was the other major reason I gave for choosing a church wedding.

As for it being disrespectful, why would it be disrespectful when the priest/church was very happy for me to use the church (or synagogue if relevant) as was I, my oh, and our families? Who is being disrespected in this scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

OK so......? Do you want to answer my point about the church not being a venue?

You haven't really made the point yet. You have just said 'it's not a venue' without explaining why not? Or more accurately, why I should not consider it just a venue when the priest/church is prepared to treat it as such.

Amen to that. Another thing that gets me is this: Couples will spend 000's on the dress, flowers, favours and venue. But when asked to make a contribution to the church and priest start kicking off. Seriously - did they expect the priest to marry them for free? And how on earth did they expect the church to be heated and cleaned with electric and running water.

I had a bride spitting nails telling me how her "taxes" already paid the priest!?I had another bride who thought that the priest would design compose and print her mass booklet for her. I had a bide dump out the flowers that were in the church (and it was Easter Tuesday, the flowers were beautiful and very expensive) and then take her own flowers away with her leaving the church flowerless. Bitches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

For years the RCC refused to allow Catholics to marry Protestants unless they both promised to raise the kids as Catholics. Decimated the Protestant population in Ireland.

The RCC has plenty to be mocked about

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I knew I'd regret leaving this open.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement