Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year today! \o/

Options
  • 12-02-2007 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

This is mostly a little pat on the back for myself for a year of not smoking (quit after 12 years using a little chewing gum and a lot of willpower). Apologies for the self-indulgent post, but I'm feeling very pleased with myself today! Also want to say to all those planning to quit or in the early stages of quitting, stick with it and good luck! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tazdustdevil

Hi there, just to say congrats on such great success!! I am in awe

I too am celebrating- reaching 21 days off the smokes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Well done Kolodny....huge credit due...entitled to feel proud....you should be! Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Kolodny wrote:
    This is mostly a little pat on the back for myself for a year of not smoking (quit after 12 years using a little chewing gum and a lot of willpower). Apologies for the self-indulgent post, but I'm feeling very pleased with myself today! Also want to say to all those planning to quit or in the early stages of quitting, stick with it and good luck! :)
    This type of thread is encouraged.

Congratulations on 1 year, Kolodny and well done on 21 days, tazdustdevil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Archeron

Woo agus Hoo! Well done. Isnt it great not hearing those awful wobbly noises when you breathe in now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Well done Kolodny,i dont want to steal your thread or to start another one,
    but i was 13 years smoking but never heavy,not more than 10 a day,i have been off them now 10 weeks and got the mother of all coughs from it.(out of work too)
    Gave them up because i got pissed off with them and thats the truth.I got sick and tired from coughing the gunk off my chest in the mornings and having my children asking me "why are you getting sick again in the bathroom daddy".
    Well the gunk has gone,i can breath,taste,sleep again with no pain in the lungs and feel absolutely brillo healthwise and have extra mun in the phoca.

When i smoked i enjoyed them stating the obvious but enjoying it more now i quit and guilt ridden on smoking the length i did.I am probably one of the fortunate ones that i found it easier to quit than some(having tried only once).She smokes and doesnt bother me but is tryin to quit too,drink has no impact as i smoked less when i drank anyway:confused: and have never used any patches gum etc.
    The first week was hard aswell as having the cough and my lungs felt so clear from the second week on.I only hope i can stay off them but i cant find any excuse to have a drag again.

Best of luck anyone trying to quit or has quit.It feels much better knowing that if your playing footie with the kids out in the field or whatever other activity you do that you dont have to colapse on a bench/seat or ground and catch your breath.I always knew it was never worth smoking but it is only hitting home now.What a waste of money imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well done OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Snowbie wrote:
    Well done Kolodny,i dont want to steal your thread or to start another one,
    but i was 13 years smoking but never heavy,not more than 10 a day,i have been off them now 10 weeks and got the mother of all coughs from it.(out of work too)
    Gave them up because i got pissed off with them and thats the truth.I got sick and tired from coughing the gunk off my chest in the mornings and having my children asking me "why are you getting sick again in the bathroom daddy".
    Well the gunk has gone,i can breath,taste,sleep again with no pain in the lungs and feel absolutely brillo healthwise and have extra mun in the phoca.

When i smoked i enjoyed them stating the obvious but enjoying it more now i quit and guilt ridden on smoking the length i did.I am probably one of the fortunate ones that i found it easier to quit than some(having tried only once).She smokes and doesnt bother me but is tryin to quit too,drink has no impact as i smoked less when i drank anyway:confused: and have never used any patches gum etc.
    The first week was hard aswell as having the cough and my lungs felt so clear from the second week on.I only hope i can stay off them but i cant find any excuse to have a drag again.

Best of luck anyone trying to quit or has quit.It feels much better knowing that if your playing footie with the kids out in the field or whatever other activity you do that you dont have to colapse on a bench/seat or ground and catch your breath.I always knew it was never worth smoking but it is only hitting home now.What a waste of money imho.
    Snowbie banned for being able to quit so easily. :)

Apparently the coughing after giving up is quite common. Word is (and i'm not 100% on this) that it's your lungs getting rid of all the toxins and repairing themselves.
    A cough for a week or two is worth it though.
    Well doné, Snowbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Terry wrote:
    Snowbie banned for being able to quit so easily. :)

Apparently the coughing after giving up is quite common. Word is (and i'm not 100% on this) that it's your lungs getting rid of all the toxins and repairing themselves.
    A cough for a week or two is worth it though.
    Well doné, Snowbie.
    Thanks Terry,yeah i remember visiting the Doctor and him telling me that the gunk or mucous was losening on my chest and toxins leaving the body causing the coughing,sometimes it was hard to catch my breath and was painful at stages.Exputex the cough medicine i was taking helped alot in clearing my chest.
    Looking back it was easy in quitting but what a week i endured indoing so.
    Hope this is of hope for the next person though for quitting.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I also got very sick when I quit as my high level of smoking had masked an underlying condition.

Nonetheless, delighted to be over seven years off them now. Well done to all whether it be a few days, a year or the rest of your (hopefully longer) life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well done Kolodny.

(On August 31st, I'll be 10 years free :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement