Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from old oil boiler to combi gas

Options
  • 23-06-2019 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi
    We have recently moved into a 85sq metre semi d house in Dublin. We have one bathroom, and the shower is non electric- we don’t have a pressure pump either.

The outside central heating oil boiler is a bit old (15+yrs) , plus the tank takes up a lot of space in the back garden. We spent almost €1k in oil this winter - and need to get our boiler serviced soon.

We have been quoted €3.8k (less €750 grant) to get a pump and gas combi boiler installed, and also trv valves on radiators.

Pros:
    On demand hot water
    Cheaper to run than gas
    Free space in garden and removal of hot press water tank
    More pressure in taps / shower
    2 zones plus hot water setup

Cons:
    Cost
    Noise (we have two young children in a small house-)

Just wondering if anyone has any advise they could offer to help us make a decision?

We’ve been told we would need to get the shower in bath re sealed as extra water pressure may cause leakage.

Thanks!

Comments

emclau wrote: »
    Hi
    We have recently moved into a 85sq metre semi d house in Dublin. We have one bathroom, and the shower is non electric- we don’t have a pressure pump either.

The outside central heating oil boiler is a bit old (15+yrs) , plus the tank takes up a lot of space in the back garden. We spent almost €1k in oil this winter - and need to get our boiler serviced soon.

We have been quoted €3.8k (less €750 grant) to get a pump and gas combi boiler installed, and also trv valves on radiators.

Pros:
    On demand hot water
    Cheaper to run than gas
    Free space in garden and removal of hot press water tank
    More pressure in taps / shower
    2 zones plus hot water setup

Cons:
    Cost
    Noise (we have two young children in a small house-)

Just wondering if anyone has any advise they could offer to help us make a decision?

We’ve been told we would need to get the shower in bath re sealed as extra water pressure may cause leakage.

Thanks!

With a combi you have no secondary source of hot water if the boiler breaks :eek: there can be a delay between the adjustment at the hot tap and the boiler if the boiler is far away, there is water wastage while waiting for the water to flow hot, again depending on the taps distance to the boiler, your hot water only lasts as long as you have stored cold water which means if you leave the tap on at some stage no water will flow.

Combis are a very good solution but sometimes they don’t suit either the home or the homeowner expectations as long as your happy with what your getting then there is no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mfrutos

Hi,

You mentioned "noise" as a drawback. Are you expecting any noise from the boiler? I think they are very silent.

Have you taken a decision? I am in the same position as you now. Can you PM me the contact of the plumber, I would like to get a quote, too.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mfrutos wrote:
    You mentioned "noise" as a drawback. Are you expecting any noise from the boiler? I think they are very silent.

I assume the noise is from a pump that pumps the water from the cold water tank to the boiler. This is only an issue with cheaper pumps. Good quality pumps make very little noise

Advertisement