Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suit jacket with pointed/padded shoulders

Options
  • 04-06-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Have a wedding coming up and bought a suit online in a sale. The jacket of it has padded shoulders that come to a point when on and I'm not the biggest fan of that look. I'm just wondering would it be possible to get the padding removed and have it look good or will removing it ruin the structure of the jacket?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Duff wrote: »
    Hey,
    The jacket of it has padded shoulders that come to a point when on

What do you mean by this? It honestly sounds a bit more that the jacket is the wrong size. A good way to check your shoulder sizings is correct is put the jacket on and lean up against a wall. If the padding hits before the rest of your arm the jacket is too big.

You can get shoulders taken in by a skilled tailor (not someone who does basic alterations from a dry cleaners etc) but they're costly and don't always work. Just taking out the padding - if the jacket is too big- won't work as it'll cause the shoulder seam to drop which will look really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Bring the jacket back. Altering shoulders is very tricky and most tailors won't recommend doing it. If the shoulders point it means the jacket is too big; it'll probably be too big on other parts of your body at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Altering shoulders is very tricky and most tailors won't recommend doing it.

I have thankfully found someone that will and who does it well - which is a godsend for me with smallish shoulders but a big chest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the tips, guys. It fits me well, I think it's just the style of the jacket. I still have 2 weeks to return it so I'll try it on again with the shirt/tie I'll be wearing to the wedding, and if I don't like the look of it then I'll return it.

Advertisement