Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waney edge/live edge timber

Options
  • 20-05-2019 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone would know where to source some waney edge/live edge wood around the dublin area.

Looking to make a desk with a river table in it. Just wanted to get some interesting wood to use with the epoxy.

Was looking up an advert on done deal it had macracarpa and pine that I could pic up but from my limited reading up pine is a soft wood and would scratch easily so not ideal for a desk that I'd expect to get a fair bit of use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

Honest question as devils advocate:

Is it worth the effort?

If you have something suitable to hand, grand so, but paying for something to use, buying resin and all that, are you really sure you want to do that?

Epoxy river tables are naff, IMHO, and will be unfashionable sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

JayZeus wrote: »
    Honest question as devils advocate:

Is it worth the effort?

If you have something suitable to hand, grand so, but paying for something to use, buying resin and all that, are you really sure you want to do that?

Epoxy river tables are naff, IMHO, and will be unfashionable sooner rather than later.

I agree about the fashion aspect - the YouTubers were in a river table and then epoxy river table feeding frenzy for a year or so and it feels like it has run its course (pun fully intended! ;))

However - it's a great exercise in accuracy and a good personal challenge, and can lead to further and more complex design choices; e.g grain following around corners in cabinetry. Slabs can cost a fortune, so if it's the experience and accuracy challenge you're after then there's nothing wrong with doing it at a smaller scale. E.g. a bench or stool.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mendoza

Well, I can't say I have any materials suitable to hand. About the only wood I have is some slats from making a fence and a pallet that'd need planing.

To be honest if I got a nice slab for a desk I'd probably be happy enough without the resin.

I'm just mucking around with ideas at the moment. Part of it as well is the challenge as I'll be off for July and August and would like to have some project to work on.

I'm a complete novice with woodwork so messing around with an expensive slab of wood is probably not the best place to start but I do actually want a desk. I think I could manage making a corner desk (disregarding the resin and like chillyspoon said can practice that on something smaller) but I'd like something with a wavy edge still. Don't want to make something that looks like a mass produced table.

So even without the resin any suggestions where to get the wood? I'm thinking a hard wood that'd hold up to day-in-day out use and looks well with a dark stain and finish? Whats a good depth for a desk to come out from the back wall too, 50 - 60 cm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You could try Kiln Dried Hardwoods in Greystones, they usually have Beech and other Irish grown timber and most of it is waney edged.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Kellys Barna down in Glenealy is another option - the saw mill (first of the two gates) is open to the public on Saturday mornings - a quick phone call in advance will let you know if they have suitable stock for you to check out. I've bought a small quantity of live edge beech there before but I haven't asked about full length slabs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I never thought Macrocarpa could be regarded as a decent quality timber
    with any aesthetic appeal myself. definitely better options out there.

Not to mention the expense of resin materials,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

They are all the rage on Utube - see Matt Cremona, he has a few videos.
    I think they rely on having a glorious piece of timber, preferably walnut and that won't be cheap in this country. They involve a lot of work , not to mention tools like a router sled to flatten the slab so not or the novice I'm afraid.;)

Hey,

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the epoxy on a smaller scale. Got some timber for a desk (a bit spooned) so may just scale down the size. Would really nead a planer but over a large area I doubt there'd be much left.

Mendoza wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the epoxy on a smaller scale. Got some timber for a desk (a bit spooned) so may just scale down the size. Would really nead a planer but over a large area I doubt there'd be much left.

You don't have to flatten a curved slab by planing - just cut a saw kerf on the one side and it will collapse down to a flat board on that side. Glue in a slip of wood and clamp down. Unfortunately you have to hide the kerf on the edges of the slab so use as close a match as you can.

recipio wrote: »
    You don't have to flatten a curved slab by planing - just cut a saw kerf on the one side and it will collapse down to a flat board on that side. Glue in a slip of wood and clamp down. Unfortunately you have to hide the kerf on the edges of the slab so use as close a match as you can.

Saw cerf? Is that pretty much what those wooden snakes consist of?

I'd imagine id mess that up

• Advertisement

Mendoza wrote: »
    Saw cerf? Is that pretty much what those wooden snakes consist of?

I'd imagine id mess that up

You run a sawblade across the slab leaving about 2 mm in place of the top ( display ) side of the slab, Then glue in a slip of wood and clamp to a flat surface. It must be a snug fit. Saves you planing away a lot of wood to get a flat surface.

Advertisement