Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All electric heaters

• 25-04-2019 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m moving into a new apartment tomorrow. Everything is electric from heating around the house go water via the immersion. The immersion and each heater has a timer
    I’ve never lived in a house without a boiler so I’m wondering what is the most efficient way to ensure I don’t hit crazy sky rocket bills each month.
    There’s 2 of us and we work regular hours 9-5 but we will need hot water for things like dish washing, use of the sink etc
    Any ideas ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Read and record the electric meter daily for a while to get an idea of your usage. As a rough estimate, allow about 20c per unit.
    That changes if you also have a night meter?

After that; an insulated cylinder, good space insulation and good controls.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

Wearb wrote: »
    Read and record the electric meter daily for a while to get an idea of your usage. As a rough estimate, allow about 20c per unit.
    That changes if you also have a night meter?

After that; an insulated cylinder, good space insulation and good controls.

Hey, thanks for that. Sorry for the question but what’s a night meter? How do I know if I have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

skinny90 wrote: »
    way to ensure I don’t hit crazy sky rocket bills each month.

Unless you've only one small wall on the outside of the building plan to be crucified next winter. All electric heating is 100% efficient and expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Hey, thanks for that. Sorry for the question but what’s a night meter? How do I know if I have one.
    It's a supply that works outside peak usage times at a reduced rate. You will have 2 meters, or 2 separate readings on a digital meter. Phone your supplier and ask if there isn't anything obvious.

btw, my first piece of advice about keeping records, still holds good, until you find out more.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Hi all,
    Sorry for bumping this up, we have yet to have properly read the meter. If I do this do I need to just calculate what was read between 1st and 2nd reading?
    Since moving in we have turned the heating down to a minimum. The house seems well insulated and we are quite pleased on the temperature.
    The water is a bit tricky. Our options are to have it on a set timer at night, off or boost.
    Currently it’s off and hot water seems to last 2/3 days
    From my understanding it’s in at night for 6 hours on a set timer which to me seems wasteful, especially if it’s jjst morning and evening routines we need it for.

Should I just leave it on the timer?

It holds quite well it’s just I don’t know what to do

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Hi all,
    Sorry for bumping this up, we have yet to have properly read the meter. If I do this do I need to just calculate what was read between 1st and 2nd reading?
    Since moving in we have turned the heating down to a minimum. The house seems well insulated and we are quite pleased on the temperature.
    The water is a bit tricky. Our options are to have it on a set timer at night, off or boost.
    Currently it’s off and hot water seems to last 2/3 days
    From my understanding it’s in at night for 6 hours on a set timer which to me seems wasteful, especially if it’s jjst morning and evening routines we need it for.

Should I just leave it on the timer?

It holds quite well it’s just I don’t know what to do

Need to ask a few questions first..

1)Have you received a letter from your energy supplier saying you are on night saver?
    2)Have you two clocks on your meter outside?
    3) Also the fuse board in the house does it have a large fuse which lights up after 12 at night and off at 7 am?

If so you have night saver so things like washing drying clothes charging electrical items should be done in the early hours of the morning. This is cheaper than during the day. This will save you loads.

By the plug in timers you can set to put appliances on while you are asleep.
    Set your washing machine to go on after midnight or to finish before 8am in the morning.

Winter cheap rate hours is 12pm to 9am summer hours 11pm to 8am. During the other hours the rate is double so washing drying charging appliances with high energy use should not be done during these hours.

As you use all your hot water over 3 days then switch off your water timer and when you need to heat the water put on timer in the early hours. In the winter you may be better to heat the water on timer less than 2days so the water is not completely cold and you are just topping up the heat. You may only need it to be on for 1hour or less to heat the water tank. Timer is handy for these.

The heaters on the wall are there two switches next to the heater in the sitting room hall or kitchen?
    I will explain later how to use if you have these storage heaters.
    Sometimes it is handy to have plug in panel heaters as a back up.

Advertisement