Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Flush Toilet

Options
  • 26-06-2019 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Have a dual flush type cistern and lately there's a constant stream of water running into the bowl. Not sure how to take lid off, does the flush button lift straight off or is it threaded ? If I manage to take lid off what should I look out for to repair. It's easier, at present, to get a plumber to plumb a house than to call out for minor/nuisance jobs like this.

Thanks in advance.
    M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

usually easy, they are threaded, then look out for the float that stops the flow easy to adjust it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

The flush button might be connected with a wire from the flush mechanism which just clips in and out of the button, then the wire end comes away easy. Note before removing, then easy to reposition afterwards.

As regards repair I have had this issue recently and found that there is a rubber plunger on the bottom of the flush mechanism which had gotten dirty with scale. Cleaned it off and now it's working fine.

If it's the same make/model/principle as mine, the flush mechanism/siphon should just turn a little, clockwise (from inside the cistern) then lift off. You might find that there's just some gunk which needs to be cleaned off of the rubber at the bottom of the stopper.

Turn off the cold water supply at the valve first, or prop up the fill float valve (might be an orange baloon!) to stop water running through while you work on it.

Take your own precautions but it's a fairly straightforward fix. Be careful to not turn the plastic nut on the outside bottom of the cistern as this will disturb the cistern seal and probably make your problem worse.

This vid might help you figure it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDgSSFBt3I But you won't need to remove the cistern or fill valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

monseiur wrote: »
    Have a dual flush type cistern and lately there's a constant stream of water running into the bowl. Not sure how to take lid off, does the flush button lift straight off or is it threaded ? If I manage to take lid off what should I look out for to repair. It's easier, at present, to get a plumber to plumb a house than to call out for minor/nuisance jobs like this.

Thanks in advance.
    M.

If its like mine (+10 years) and has two 1/2 moon shaped buttons on the lid then just remove the lid,(lift it straight up) and you should see 2 plastic type push buttons in the cistern itself, you can push these down individually with your finger, in my case (I used to get a occasional constant stream) I just sprayed some WD40 onto the top of these plastic pieces and problem hasn't returned in over 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Blue loo or bleach blocks cause these type of problems aa well.
    Lift out the flush valve and check where the seal sits into the receiver for any crud or bits of stray silicone etc keeping the seal from fully closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

Thanks all for your advise, greatly appreciated. I'll have a go at repairing it at the weekend.
    M.

• Advertisement
Advertisement