Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Votex Air Oil Hybrid

Options
  • 06-09-2018 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Considering getting this for an old 2 story stone 1000sqft house I’m currently renovating, pointing stone and applying lime plaster.etc
    The house currently has an oil system and thought this could be a good addition for the house.Floors will be lifted soon so adding UFH to ground floor and keeping rads up stairs could be done.Before I saw this I was just going to keep oil/rads all over and put in a multi fuel boiler stove .Can you have 3 sources of heating...oil,air,stove?
    Would like to hear your thoughts on the Grant Hybrid or other suggested heating options?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

Hi

Did you proceed with installing the VortexAir Hybrid Range boiler from grant?
    Im in the same situation as you as restoring an old stone house,
    We have alot of insulation gone in and was looking at UFH too.

Donie

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If you speak directly with Grant, they will help you determine if the hybrid unit is suitable for your home.

Yes, I have contacted Grant and sent them the xml file for the house.
    I was just wondering if Howzit17 installed the system in he's house and how it was working out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Doniekp wrote: »
    Hi

Did you proceed with installing the VortexAir Hybrid Range boiler from grant?
    Im in the same situation as you as restoring an old stone house,
    We have alot of insulation gone in and was looking at UFH too.

Donie

Do you mind me asking what the above unit costs.....I need to change my 20 year old oil boiler for something newer soon.....gas is close but for a quote of €8000 for a connection. I’ve conventional radiators and no under floor heating. House is two story about 2,100 sq ft with a BER of D2

got a quote from FireBird for their hybrid system

16kw heatpump with c26kw oil boilerand all that is needed to run the system
    €6857.12+vat
    commissioning €150+ vat

House is 4500sq ft ber B1

• Advertisement

@Rod-Hog.......with a BER D2 and a heat pump, would be like trying to keep your fridge cold with the door open (in reverse) so would not be suitable.

You would need to consider deep retrofit insulation first

Doniekp wrote: »
    got a quote from FireBird for their hybrid system

16kw heatpump with c26kw oil boilerand all that is needed to run the system
    €6857.12+vat
    commissioning €150+ vat

House is 4500sq ft ber B1

One more question do you know If there Are any grants available for this type of boiler foehn that it has a heat pump.

DGOBS wrote: »
    @Rod-Hog.......with a BER D2 and a heat pump, would be like trying to keep your fridge cold with the door open (in reverse) so would not be suitable.

You would need to consider deep retrofit insulation first

It’s a hybrid system so would you not be only using the heat pump when the temp differential is low....?

It’s a hybrid system so would you not be only using the heat pump when the temp differential is low....?

Yes it is a hybrid 9I am familiar with the product) and it still requires a sufficient BER rating to work well, if not the benefits of having a heat-pump as part of the system is considerably diminished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Road-Hog wrote: »
    One more question do you know If there Are any grants available for this type of boiler foehn that it has a heat pump.

Can I ask the same question lads? Is the grant applicable with the hybrid boilers be it heat pump with oil or gas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 larrymc123

I am wondering if anyone has the answer to this question from Road-Hog / tinofapples? Is the grant applicable with hybrid boilers?

In my case I am looking at Heat pump with Oil Boiler combination.

Currently considering Firebird Enviroair Hybrid Heat Pump or Grant VortexAir Hybrid. Anyone installed either of these systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arw45

Would really appreciate any feedback on these. Particularly in a retrofit. Oil gunbarrel and 1970s huge radiators. We want to find a reasonable solution so any help so appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I wouldn’t. There will be no appreciable benefit over a standard oil boiler (which is still probably the most cost effective central heating system at present)

Advertisement