Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most tax efficient way to get healthcare

• 26-06-2019 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to help a friend work out the most tax efficient way to get healthcare.

Their employer has offered to pay it, but the amount will come off their salary.

If they pay it themselves, they are paying it from net salary, and all the tax relief discounts are already applied, but if the employer pays it, there's BIK to think of and there is tax relief available. Does the employer have to pay tax on the insurance cost itself?

Is there an easy way to calculate the cost difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Get the employer to pay it.

Let's say the healthcare costs 1,000, 800 after the relief. Pay it yourself and you pay 800. Get them to pay it and you pay BIK on the 1,000, let's say 500 euro. You can then claim relief on this 1,000, you'll get back 200. This way you've paid a net amount of 300. A lot better than 800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭sonyvision

mystic86 wrote: »
    Get the employer to pay it.

Let's say the healthcare costs 1,000, 800 after the relief. Pay it yourself and you pay 800. Get them to pay it and you pay BIK on the 1,000, let's say 500 euro. You can then claim relief on this 1,000, you'll get back 200. This way you've paid a net amount of 300. A lot better than 800.

The above is correct. Get your employeer to pay it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Healthcare, or health insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If the amount comes off the salary then I think the only difference would be in what the schemes offer. Group schemes often offer waiving wait periods for pre-existing conditions. Individual schemes rarely do [not unheard of but not even worth asking unless you're buying a premium package].

A benefit is just like additional gross pay. If your gross pay is reduced to cover it then I don't think there's a net difference in terms of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Healthcare, or health insurance?

Heath insurance

• Advertisement

If the amount comes off the salary then I think the only difference would be in what the schemes offer. Group schemes often offer waiving wait periods for pre-existing conditions. Individual schemes rarely do [not unheard of but not even worth asking unless you're buying a premium package].

A benefit is just like additional gross pay. If your gross pay is reduced to cover it then I don't think there's a net difference in terms of tax.

That's where I'm confused.

Going to ask one of the insurers for costs and then see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭wally1990

sonyvision wrote: »
    The above is correct. Get your employeer to pay it

Bear in mind, if this person is paying 800 from their net , in theory they must earn up to 1600( assuming higher tax) to afford the 800 as it's coming from their net pay

So yes... Get the employer to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Are we all sure about the math here, as the OP says the amount will come off his salary, as opposed to an additional payment.

So he will be 500 less in take home pay if the gross is 1000 as per the example
    colm_c wrote: »
    I'm trying to help a friend work out the most tax efficient way to get healthcare.

Their employer has offered to pay it, but the amount will come off their salary.

If they pay it themselves, they are paying it from net salary, and all the tax relief discounts are already applied, but if the employer pays it, there's BIK to think of and there is tax relief available. Does the employer have to pay tax on the insurance cost itself?

Is there an easy way to calculate the cost difference?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Are we all sure about the math here, as the OP says the amount will come off his salary, as opposed to an additional payment.

So he will be 500 less in take home pay if the gross is 1000 as per the example

Exactly, going to call one of the insurers and see if they can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,643 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Think of it this way (am using a premium of €1000 gross for example):

Option 1: You pay the net premium yourself. The cost will be €800 to you out of your bank account after deducting the tax relief at source of €200.

Option 2: Your employer pays it, treating the gross amount as BIK. You pay extra PAYE, PRSI and USC on the BIK which (depending on your total income) could be as high as 40% + 4% + either 8% (if earning above €70044) or 4.5% (if below) of the gross premium. So, in return for getting the health insurance, you are paying a max of 52% of the gross premium. You can also claim the €200 tax credit back if it's not reflected in your tax credits so that further reduces the overall cost.

Option 2 is definitely a lower cost approach.

• Advertisement

Think of it this way (am using a premium of €1000 gross for example):

Option 1: You pay the net premium yourself. The cost will be €800 to you out of your bank account after deducting the tax relief at source of €200.

Option 2: Your employer pays it, treating the gross amount as BIK. You pay extra PAYE, PRSI and USC on the BIK which (depending on your total income) could be as high as 40% + 4% + either 8% (if earning above €70044) or 4.5% (if below) of the gross premium. So, in return for getting the health insurance, you are paying a max of 52% of the gross premium. You can also claim the €200 tax credit back if it's not reflected in your tax credits so that further reduces the overall cost.

Option 2 is definitely a lower cost approach.

Option 2 is fine assuming ing it is an extra perk
    the OP was clear in his post that

So the OP is 500 lids short in his after tax income on the reduced salary, or am I missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,643 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

That's the way BIK works though, isn't it, in that the value is treated as income, tax etc calculated on the entire gross' and then the same BIK amount is deducted (since it isn't an actual element of the net payment)?
    I'm assuming that that was what was meant by the OP saying "Their employer has offered to pay it, but the amount will come off their salary."

Certainly, if it ISN'T being treated as a BIK, it makes no sense to 'double deduct' the amount.

I would check if the employer just meant that there would be a salary deduction of the tax on the BIK (as assumed in most replies).

Here's my understanding of what it will cost according to revenue.

Using simple figures for illustration.

Original salary: 50k
    Cost of health policy: 3k

Paying it my yourself, after tax cost 3k

Employer paying it:
    New salary 47k
    BIK on 3k, 1.5k

So from what I can tell it works out the same.

Less salary, and bik add up to the same cost.

The only options for saving from what I can see are on the tax relief and there maybe different plans and lower costs for companies who have a lot of employees.

Next step, chat to one of the insurance companies.

the other thing to watch for is if you have a pension plan based on a % of salary

the other thing to watch for is if you have a pension plan based on a % of salary
    good point. also affects max tax free contributions. Also stock options or other benefits can be % of salary. even raises can be in terms of % of salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

colm_c wrote: »
    Here's my understanding of what it will cost according to revenue.

Using simple figures for illustration.

Original salary: 50k
    Cost of health policy: 3k

Paying it my yourself, after tax cost 3k

Employer paying it:
    New salary 47k
    BIK on 3k, 1.5k

So from what I can tell it works out the same.

Less salary, and bik add up to the same cost.

The only options for saving from what I can see are on the tax relief and there maybe different plans and lower costs for companies who have a lot of employees.

Next step, chat to one of the insurance companies.

Well in that case pay it yourself, the employer paying it and reducing your salary by that amount is kinda silly no? Usually a company who offers it is offering it on top of whatever your pay is.

Advertisement