Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When did you realize how hard life can be?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Losing our first pregnancy. Got to 12 weeks, blissful in our ignorance, had 12 week scan, doctor said there was a problem, missus had tests done, confirmed the worst, waited for it to happen. Horrendous few weeks, I have never cried as much before or since and genuinely feel a part of me died during that time. Thankfully we now have two wonderful, beautiful, children but I still think about their big brother by times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

My father died suddenly,I was an adult. Then my mother took a bad stroke which left her in a hospice eventually. While sitting with her a few days before she passed she was distressed, asking me if I definitely loved her, then saying that she was sure I did, but did I really. I comforted her, my youngest daughter and my one and only sister were there too. Just after the funeral my sister told me she had made sure our mother died knowing I didn't love her. My sister (single, 5 years older than me)had moved back home with my mother after dad died, I lived the other side of the country with my family. Later on I thought back on the things my sister had said and done over the years and I realised our connection was fake. Had been nothing all along. I don't mind that I will never forgive her for what she obviously put into my mother's head, I just find it sick that there are people like this in the world. And I was down on myself for so long that I hadn't seen it all before. I just hope my mother believed me as she passed. That's when I realised people really and truly can be twisted and sick even though others do not see it.

We never know what happens behind closed doors. Every family has their grubby little secret

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My father died suddenly,I was an adult. Then my mother took a bad stroke which left her in a hospice eventually. While sitting with her a few days before she passed she was distressed, asking me if I definitely loved her, then saying that she was sure I did, but did I really. I comforted her, my youngest daughter and my one and only sister were there too. Just after the funeral my sister told me she had made sure our mother died knowing I didn't love her. My sister (single, 5 years older than me)had moved back home with my mother after dad died, I lived the other side of the country with my family. Later on I thought back on the things my sister had said and done over the years and I realised our connection was fake. Had been nothing all along. I don't mind that I will never forgive her for what she obviously put into my mother's head, I just find it sick that there are people like this in the world. And I was down on myself for so long that I hadn't seen it all before. I just hope my mother believed me as she passed. That's when I realised people really and truly can be twisted and sick even though others do not see it.

I'm certain she knew you did. You made the effort to be there by her side. I'm not a parent but you are yourself and they say parents have a certain instinct for knowing these things. You have nothing to be guilty about and other people are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

We never know what happens behind closed doors. Every family has their grubby little secret

Very true and I know my sister believed I didn't pull my weight some times when my mother was unwell. As I said I lived right across the country, I also had a young family, was working full time and was in college. I know now I did my best, I didn't believe in myself for so long. I can sleep easy knowing deep down that I did my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A couple of other defining moments spring to mind.

Coming from a loving home and a very happy childhood, the realisation of how prevalent child abuse within families was, and likely still is. I know a large number of people (adults) now who were seriously abused as children - some of them by the same people, and it's mind boggling how the perpetrators got away with it, even though as children they told their parents or other family members. People who would otherwise vocally be of the "hanging's too good for them" persuasion actually protecting serial abusers. I once had someone tell me that I was wrong to have phoned an abuser and tell him to stay away from one of his victims at family events (at the explicit request of one of the victims), because "you can't tell someone to stay away from a birthday party". The amount of covering up, turning a blind eye and "leave bygones be bygones" that goes on in some families in relation to serious crimes was a shocking eyeopener.

Another time I had a conversation with a friend of a friend who told me about how she discovered her husband was a paedophile shortly after they were married in the 70s. He hadn't abused his own children (and was abhorred that the suggestion that he might), but had done so to a neighbour's child. The police were called, but they didn't even talk to him - they came to his wife and simply told her to keep an eye on him. When she confronted him about it, he admitted his attraction to young children. Being the 70s, she went to a priest for advice - who told her that she had made a promise to God to stick with him in marrying him, and all she could do was pray for him and make sure that his "needs were properly catered for". She eventually got the courage and means to leave him, and even 40 years later, the whole thing haunted her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

When you realise that you have failed in your duty as a father to your son......I hope he will forgive me in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was homeless for a while in London.
    That wasn't a nice experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This will pale in significance to a lot of what was said already but there's something about losing a parent early in your life that comes back, repeatedly and bites you in the árse repeatedly. I lost my Mam as a teenager, everything changes, it never really gets better but it does get easier. The older you get and the more life events you have the more it comes back up. Graduating? She's not there. First big job? She's not there. Engaged? Married? Becoming a parent for the first time? Same.

Miscarriage too. I've never known anything like the highs of finding out your pregnant to being told it's gone/not going to happen. As a the Father too you really can't do anything. In a way, it's a relief its become more talked about now, there's great support available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

A couple of other defining moments spring to mind.

Coming from a loving home and a very happy childhood, the realisation of how prevalent child abuse within families was, and likely still is. I know a large number of people (adults) now who were seriously abused as children - some of them by the same people, and it's mind boggling how the perpetrators got away with it, even though as children they told their parents or other family members. People who would otherwise vocally be of the "hanging's too good for them" persuasion actually protecting serial abusers. I once had someone tell me that I was wrong to have phoned an abuser and tell him to stay away from one of his victims at family events (at the explicit request of one of the victims), because "you can't tell someone to stay away from a birthday party". The amount of covering up, turning a blind eye and "leave bygones be bygones" that goes on in some families in relation to serious crimes was a shocking eyeopener.

Another time I had a conversation with a friend of a friend who told me about how she discovered her husband was a paedophile shortly after they were married in the 70s. He hadn't abused his own children (and was abhorred that the suggestion that he might), but had done so to a neighbour's child. The police were called, but they didn't even talk to him - they came to his wife and simply told her to keep an eye on him. When she confronted him about it, he admitted his attraction to young children. Being the 70s, she went to a priest for advice - who told her that she had made a promise to God to stick with him in marrying him, and all she could do was pray for him and make sure that his "needs were properly catered for". She eventually got the courage and means to leave him, and even 40 years later, the whole thing haunted her.

This makes me so angry. When I finally told my family about being abused (by another family member) they went to every length possible to villify me. I was accused of being an alcoholic and an elder abuser. Even though other women came forward and said this person had attempted to assault them in the recent past, the family have been in complete denial about, and he is still invited to family functions etc. They have zero regard for my welfare or feelings and would expect me to sit and play happy family at someone's birthday. It's all very "nothing to see here now, it was just a misdemeanor".

I've my own family now thankfully, and I've literally cut out everyone from my parents family except my parents, and I only stay on good terms with them in case they die - I want my own conscience to be clear. They see my child but only supervised and on my terms. I will never leave her alone with them.

I've been in touch with the guards about him and will likely progress this to see if I can build a case against him. But, it has been made very clear to me that I will be doing it alone, and I won't be thanked for it. Oh well, f*ck them.

Sorry rant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

Being thrown out of my houseshare and my friends and a lot of my extended family all disowning me, due to nothing I had done, but something my on/off boyfriend did (and it wasn't a crime or drugs or anything like that, and i didn't know about it until afterwards, and had decided to leave him over it..)

The thing is they pushed me even closer to him by doing this as he was about all i had left.

Now - i always understood their reasoning, but never their timing, i could have done with a bit of support from them for at least a few days before dropping their decision on me that they wanted me to leave the house.

It was a difficult time, and still hurts now even over 15 years later as basically i realised how little i meant to the people i thought i mattered too. It made me guarded around people for years later, and i found it difficult to let people in.

But it was also good for me, i became very independent, and at least i found out then who my real friends were, and have such a close relationship with them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

biko wrote: »
    I was homeless for a while in London.
    That wasn't a nice experience.

Can you elaborate about the experience how it came about and what it was like?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

My wife and I unexpectedly losing a baby 16 weeks into pregnancy. To make matters worse, I wasn’t at the appointment at which she found this out, at the same time I was getting an MRI to determine how far the cancer that I had been diagnosed with just the day before had spread.

I don't know this for sure but I imagine that most people will have had at least one experience of unrequited love.

I was in my mid twenties when it happened and it nearly drove me mad.

I had this. The thing that got me through it was the words of Phil Lynott - "if that chick don't wanna know forget her...." So simple but always helped me snap out of whatever funk I was in. There is always more fish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What was the hardest experience you've had to go through?

A lifetime of struggling with mental health issues, and id class mine as relatively mild, compared to others. Happy Saturday!

Life was fine and out of nowhere, my ex and I were sharing appointments with a nephrologist in our 20s. She got lupus nephritis and I have extreme proteinuria that's so bad, she was hospitalised for less. No doctor I've seen can work out why I have it, so I just ignore it. It's such an anomaly, they all say they've never seen anything like it.

It was a really bad year and I lost my job due to the stress of it. Took a year off and lived off savings while I worked it out mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Being self employed and knocked out of work through injury. No income, big spends on physiotherapy and drugs, a lot of pain and worry. Watching savings dwindle away hoping something starts to come in before it's all gone.
    It did,thankfully.

At the time the state were no help but thankfully things are better for self employed people, now.

Advertisement