Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TESCO SURVEY SCAM....BEWARE !!!!!!!

Options
  • 16-10-2013 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Received an email with TESCO logo on top as follows :

"You have been selected to access the TESCO Survey and win 60EURO gift certificate.
    Please click here and complete the form to receive your reward. Thank you."

At first glance the email looks similar enough to questionnaires Tesco.ie send out occasionally about online shopping. The link takes you to a questionnaire about your shopping experiences etc.

TWO BIG DIFFERENCES:
    You are asked for ALL your credit card details :eek:
    The site you're directed to by the link is in CHINA :D
    Okay okay it IS pretty obvious it's a scam, but just wanted to post this here anyway...would hate to see these CRIMINALS conning anyone who may be tempted to fill it in.

Have sent a copy to Tesco.They have put up alert online. ( Probably alerted to this by others before me)

http://www.tesco.ie/fraudulent-alert/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Got one of them myself this evening, clicked on it ( recently signed up to tesco clubcard), the second i clicked on the mail, my anti virus warned me straight away.Deleted immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

It begs the question, Andrew, just how exactly these scammers get hold of our email addresses in the first place.

:rolleyes: Tesco sharing info ....naaaaaw ?

( I know Vodafone certainly do)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ElizaT33

Yeah I got one too this morn - got one before a few months ago aswell! Very annoying - Tesco should be doing something about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

It begs the question, Andrew, just how exactly these scammers get hold of our email addresses in the first place.

:rolleyes: Tesco sharing info ....naaaaaw ?

( I know Vodafone certainly do)

How many websites do you put your email into per month? How many people do you email?

Scammers have a multitude of ways to get someones email. They scrape websites for email addresses posted on it, they hack/crack others accounts and steal their contact list and ofcourse websites sell information. Over the life of my account with just one provider I would say I have gotten about 100,000 spam emails very easily in my spam box. (gmail, with them since the beginning)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭PennyWise11

Limericks wrote: »
    How many websites do you put your email into per month? How many people do you email?

Scammers have a multitude of ways to get someones email. They scrape websites for email addresses posted on it, they hack/crack others accounts and steal their contact list and ofcourse websites sell information. Over the life of my account with just one provider I would say I have gotten about 100,000 spam emails very easily in my spam box. (gmail, with them since the beginning)

I, for one, am probably a little too trigger-happy about clicking the "yes, I agree with t&c's " without reading through the deliberately convoluted mumbo-jumbo!

• Advertisement

A good way to find out who the people selling your information is when they ask for your name put in the name of the website. Then when you get scam emails that include your name you can tell who sold your information as the will start with Hello "Insert website name here".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Brilliant idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrBizzles

You already know a lot of people have and will fall for this scam. Im stunned at how people freely give bank details over the phone, email etc. These scams are not new and this stage people should be wise to it. Thanks OP for informing us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not necessarily anyone selling your info, tinfoil hats away. It's the electronic version of cold calling. I've received, and continue to receive, mails purporting to be from all sorts of companies, I've had them from all the banks this year, designer hand bag companies, all sorts. The spammers just spoof who the mails is from and take a guess of what companies people would expect to hear from.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not necessarily anyone selling your info, tinfoil hats away. It's the electronic version of cold calling. I've received, and continue to receive, mails purporting to be from all sorts of companies, I've had them from all the banks this year, designer hand bag companies, all sorts. The spammers just spoof who the mails is from and take a guess of what companies people would expect to hear from.

I have caught out a good few different websites selling or trading my info using my methods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 AmandaJh

I inadvertently entered a Facebook competition last night,promising to be offering €750 Tesco vouchers.
    I quickly realized this was a scam,so I texted "STOP" TO THE NUMBER GIVEN..57976.
    I was ignored,and was bombarded all through the night with texts telling me that "I am subscribed to win 750 EUR Tesco voucher..This morning I discovered that €40 worth of credit has been taken from my phone.
    I called the number 1800901656 and they unsubscribed me but told me I had to e-mail you in order to get a refund,which they said I would definitely get.
    I want a full refund on this, as I did try hard to opt out yet,my credit was still taken.
    I was harassed all through the night with texts!!
    Has anybody else experience with Global Text UK?

Advertisement