Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats it worth??

Options
  • 20-08-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm new to archery and I'm looking at a second hand bow for sale that's been recommended to me. I've tried it and it feels good but was hoping to find out what its worth before I do a deal.
    Its in mint condition - like brand new.
    Hoyt Elan Riser and Hoyt Synthetic Carbon Plus Limbs 32-34lb. Google says these could be 18 years old but the one I'm looking at would pass for brand new. There's a lot of other kit with the sale that I have a good idea how much its worth but the bow itself has me stumped.
    Any help / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

How new to archery, have you done an archery beginners course yet?

Who are you trying to impress with it passing as next to brand new? Most people in any given club would know it for what it is!!

TBH without knowing what they are asking for it its impossible to know if its a good deal.

google would tell me those risers would be $300 dollars secondhand and the limbs $250, but those posts are years old. Id say €300 for the bow all in. A decent sight could be worth the same again as could a decent set of bars, so, without details of the accessories its impossible to tell.

I'd expect a bag, stringer, some arrows, string, plunger,clicker and possibly a stand to be included in the bow price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The Elan was a top riser in it's day. It's quite a find especially if it's mint. I've no idea what it's worth. It's not a collectors item and it's value has to be set against 'what would I get new today for that same asking price'. Same with the limbs. If you are a complete beginner those limbs are a little heavy for starting off. You would probably grow into them quite soon though. You might get a value by seeing what similar items have made on Ebay if that's possible. I'd be thinking along the same lines as Wabbit above. If you do buy it the riser will not limit you until after your first Olympics.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

Thanks for replies.

I'm a complete novice to archery but 2 rifle ranges where I shoot also have archery twice a week so I decided to give it a go, that's where the kit is for sale. I really enjoyed both sessions I've attended so I'm going to invest in my own kit. I'm told the package is a great deal and I'm sure nobody is out to catch me but I'd still like to research what exactly I'm buying and what kind of deal I'm getting.
    Also included is a Sure Loc Sight, T-Bar, Extender, Stabilizers, Alloy box with foam cut-outs, 10 or 12 carbon arrows, Plunger, Clicker, Quiver, Tab, Stand and some other bits and pieces - string and stringer too.
    I have a good idea how much the rest of the kit cost / worth and was trying to put a price on the bow to see if its the bargain it seems.
    I've found an almost identical sight new for €300 and the one included in the deal looks new also.
    How does €800 for the lot sound?

IMHO spending 800 quid on an second hand archery kit for a beginner is madness. The guy looking for 800 quid is chancing his arm IMHO.

Any archery shop would do you a great deal on brand new, warrantied, kit for that money.

They would also make sure you got the correct poundage, Rise and limb size, arrow length etc etc etc.

This all sounds like some lad with a sports car trying to off load it on a young fella who hasn't got his drivers licence yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

IMHO spending 800 quid on an second hand archery kit for a beginner is madness. The guy looking for 800 quid is chancing his arm IMHO.

Any archery shop would do you a great deal on brand new, warrantied, kit for that money.

They would also make sure you got the correct poundage, Rise and limb size, arrow length etc etc etc.

This all sounds like some lad with a sports car trying to off load it on a young fella who hasn't got his drivers licence yet...

I agree its a lot to spend for a beginner but I was thinking buy once cry once and buy quality kit that will last. The lad selling me the kit is a coach and wouldn't entertain the thought of me handing over the cash until he spent some time with me shooting the bow even then he told me to have a think about it. He wouldn't sell it to another lad because it wasn't the right setup for him. Hes 100% genuine - its me that was just trying to reassure myself I was getting a good deal.
    Do you think the gear is priced to high and not a good deal?

• Advertisement

It's your money. I'm not at competition level so don't know the value of that level of kit, which this is.

The vast majority of new archers do not even use bars or clickers.

Before you buy just go along to an archery club one night and talk to a few people and see what they are shooting with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SmilerORocker

The thing is, after 6 months to a year you'd probably have to replace your limbs to up your poundage as you improve and you gain strength. I'm quite surprised it's the coach trying to sell you this stuff,.. especially as you haven't got your beginners certificate, membership number or insurance.

I'm with Wabbit Ears on this one.

Advertisement