Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft 2020 - Current Premier League - Signup Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

My name was on the list but now it's gone? I didn't receive any PM or anything

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

My name was on the list but now it's gone? I didn't receive any PM or anything

I think this is the order atm

Martyos
    Brianregan
    Shanotheslayer
    Glados

then rd2

edit: checked the other thread and you're name is there Shano

It'll be based off their entire time in the Premier League, so his peak.

So David Silva will be based off his entire career in the Premier League. His Valencia or Spain performances won't count.

Going by this on Pg1, Silva being just taken is great Value in this draft and very deserving of being a Rd1 pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Pick Made and PM sent :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Balls was hoping Auba might slip through

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Very happy with Sterling and Son as my first 2 picks. Was debating whether to put both my picks into attacking options but this gives me a very flexible attacking base to work with.

I'm not sure who is next but I've made my next pick :)

Martyos is next, order is in the op of the selection thread

Surprised my next choice is still on the board with one person left but I guess I wasn't expecting Bruno/Milner already. So many Premiership teams play only 1 star striker these days (although great AM/WFs) so I thought people would focus there to start with. tbh if someone like Auba was still available I'd probably have taken him cos very few teams would have the same firepower as a Kane/Auba double act at the end

• Advertisement

and the same minute I post that ^ Marty posts (cheers for the pm), I'll have mine up soon.

I'll update the selections in the OP of Selection Thread at some stage today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I know Round 6 is the special round, but what players do we get to choose from in that round? Is it players from outside the PL, current players who have played PL before, all time PL players, has it been decided yet?

My understanding was any current player outside the PL.

Good to clarify it beforehand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Might be good to have it as any player currently playing that used to play in the Prem or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I was under the impression that it was current premier league player however there form outside of the premier league counted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I thought it was current players who have played in the premier league at some stage as well. Is it a random draw for that round or following the same pattern?

Might be good to have it as any player currently playing that used to play in the Prem or something along those lines.

Yeah I would think that would be best too. I know Ronaldo would probably be the obvious pick there and give someone a huge advantage but I feel that if it is any currently playing player the top 5 or 6 picks will get a huge advantage rather.

I think a new draw for the order of pick in this round would be best (although I would love to have 2nd pick for this round :D)

It was changed to round 6 so people with last pick in round 1 get first pick in the special round. Doing a new draw just hands the advantage back to those who got to choose first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think there's enough quality around to make a 'must have played in the PL' round for current players a fair stip. There's going to be a very big drop off in available talent after the first handful of names.

My suggestion would be making it 'must have played in the PL in the past 10 years'. I think that would guarantee all players getting a top level talent.

I don't think there's enough quality around to make a 'must have played in the PL' round for current players a fair stip. There's going to be a very big drop off in available talent after the first handful of names.

My suggestion would be making it 'must have played in the PL in the past 10 years'. I think that would guarantee all players getting a top level talent.

Would we be basing it off their ability when they were in the league? I think there are enough players still playing but I would do either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

Would we be basing it off their ability when they were in the league? I think there are enough players still playing but I would do either.

I think we would have to base it off PL performance to keep it in line with the overall draft premise.

I think there are enough players too but good to clarify it now, so people can, for example leave a midfield spot etc. specifically for that round.

I agree on both points. Last ten years gives a greater pool and is more of a special round I think. For the sake of convenience it'll be 'a game from 1/Jan/2010 onward'.
    Would we be basing it off their ability when they were in the league?

Yes, it would be based on their entire performances in the Premier League only.

I'll wait and see if there are any major objections before a final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Really like the Azpi pick, was tempted to pick him myself as he gives great flexibility

As things stand:

Redzerdrog - Mo Salah, Gini Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson
    Ferris_Bueller - Sergio Aguero, Jan Vertonghen, Dele Alli
    IncognitoMan - van Dijk, Bernado Silva, Wilfred Ndidi
    Dr. Kenneth - De Bruyne, Fabinho, Toby Alderweireld
    Liam O - Sadio Mane, Firminio, Harry Maguire
    Hello 2D - Andy Robertson, Leroy Sane, Ruben Neves
    Mr Nice Guy - N'Golo Kante, Raul Jiminez, Cesar Azpilicueta
    Wrestlemaniac - Sanchez, Jamie Vardy, Gary Cahill
    Daithi1989 Trent Alexander Arnold, Marcus Rashford, Alisson
    Bounty Hunter - Harry Kane, Aymeric Laporte, Mesut Ozil
    Martyos - David Silva, Fernandinho
    Brianregan - Aubameyang, Bruno Fernandes
    Shanotheslayer - Milner, Mahrez
    Glados - Sterling, Son

Just to clarify: The must have played in the PL since Jan 1st 2010 (and will be judged on their Premiership peak) round... that player does not need to be currently active do they?

I'm assuming not and in favor of that being the stip for whatever thats worth. Looking at what's left on the table I also would not be surprised if a few people saved that round for their CF pick and went one up front

Also doubt I could start picking favorite lineups from the above table until after that round as obviously you'd be inclined to lean towards the top few names given their early picks and the presence of the likes of Aguero and De Bruyne or Van Dijk. I liked the recent Ndidi pick myself and had him earmarked if he dropped much further although tbh I'd say a few probably did.

So... Redzerdrog is clearly a Man Utd fan then...

As things stand:

Redzerdrog - Mo Salah, Gini Wijnaldum, Jordan Henderson
    Ferris_Bueller - Sergio Aguero, Jan Vertonghen, Dele Alli
    IncognitoMan - van Dijk, Bernado Silva, Wilfred Ndidi
    Dr. Kenneth - De Bruyne, Fabinho, Toby Alderweireld
    Liam O - Sadio Mane, Firminio, Harry Maguire
    Hello 2D - Andy Robertson, Leroy Sane, Ruben Neves
    Mr Nice Guy - N'Golo Kante, Raul Jiminez, Cesar Azpilicueta
    Wrestlemaniac - Sanchez, Jamie Vardy, Gary Cahill
    Daithi1989 Trent Alexander Arnold, Marcus Rashford
    Bounty Hunter - Harry Kane, Aymeric Laporte
    Martyos - David Silva, Fernandinho
    Brianregan - Aubameyang, Bruno Fernandes
    Shanotheslayer - Milner, Mahrez
    Glados - Sterling, Son

Just to clarify: The must have played in the PL since Jan 1st 2010 (and will be judged on their Premiership peak) round... that player does not need to be currently active do they?

I'm assuming not and in favor of that being the stip for whatever thats worth. Looking at what's left on the table I also would not be surprised if a few people saved that round for their CF pick and went one up front

Also doubt I could start picking favorite lineups from the above table until after that round as obviously you'd be inclined to lean towards the top few names given their early picks and the presence of the likes of Aguero and De Bruyne or Van Dijk. I liked the recent Ndidi pick myself and had him earmarked if he dropped much further although tbh I'd say a few probably did.

So... Redzerdrog is clearly a Man Utd fan then...

Jaysus, thanks for keeping track of things Bounty. I've been meaning to do it but haven't had the time.

As for the bit in bold, yes, they just need to have played a game since the 1st Jan 2010. They do not need to be active now, they can be completely retired from football.

Eg. Player makes debut in 1998, plays on the 1st Jan 2010 and retires after the game - they are included.

Jaysus, thanks for keeping track of things Bounty. I've been meaning to do it but haven't had the time.

As for the bit in bold, yes, they just need to have played a game since the 1st Jan 2010. They do not need to be active now, they can be completely retired from football.

Eg. Player makes debut in 1998, plays on the 1st Jan 2010 and retires after the game - they are included.

No worries dude. It's a pity we don't have a mod playing in this draft as you will be unable to update the OP of the other thread like I could in the PW draft.

Just added Ozil to my lineup there, wasn't sure about the pick at first but Prime Ozil was a whole other type of beast than current Ozil picking up his mega check to do feck all. 16 assists before New Years day that season, thank you very much says Harry Kane up front :D

I like Ozil but I was put off picking him as people might hold his inconsistency or recent form against him. On his day one of the best playmakers in my lifetime, will be interesting to see how everyone rates him when it comes to voting time. He was one I was weighing up when I chose Dele Alli.

I like Ozil but I was put off picking him as people might hold his inconsistency or recent form against him. On his day one of the best playmakers in my lifetime, will be interesting to see how everyone rates him when it comes to voting time. He was one I was weighing up when I chose Dele Alli.

100% honest, it did make me question if it's the right move but as it was decided on page 1 before any picks were made that this is based off their Premiership peak
    It'll be based off their entire time in the Premier League, so his peak.

Then I would hope people involved would all judge teams with that in mind. For me peak Ozil is better than almost anyone else who can fill that role in a team.

Ozil's a super pick in the right system. Wouldn't suit what I'm planning on, but with someone like Kane ahead of him it's perfect.

No worries dude. It's a pity we don't have a mod playing in this draft as you will be unable to update the OP of the other thread like I could in the PW draft.

Just added Ozil to my lineup there, wasn't sure about the pick at first but Prime Ozil was a whole other type of beast than current Ozil picking up his mega check to do feck all. 16 assists before New Years day that season, thank you very much says Harry Kane up front :D

Yeah, I'd forgotten I wouldn't be able to edit the OP, bit of a nuisance (not that I've done much so far anyway) haha.

I had Ozil marked high on the shortlist but given I haven't sorted my striker yet, I couldn't pick him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'd forgotten I wouldn't be able to edit the OP, bit of a nuisance (not that I've done much so far anyway) haha.

I had Ozil marked high on the shortlist but given I haven't sorted my striker yet, I couldn't pick him.

Could we ask a mod to update, every second round for example, if we just sent them on the list of picks?

Could we ask a mod to update, every second round for example, if we just sent them on the list of picks?

That should be no issue for a mod especially atm when the board is not as busy. I'll try to keep a fairly up to date list and post it in here sporadically anyway.

Made my pick lads, can someone point me in the direction of who's next

Made my pick lads, can someone point me in the direction of who's next

Shanotheslayer. I just sent the PM.

I picked Ozil in the last draft and almost everyone who voted against me picked him out if I remember correctly.

He's the best 10 in the league at his peak but can understand when it's fine margins why people would pull up the consistency problem.

His time at Real showed with a decent striker though he's unreal

Balls GlaDos, I was going to pick Matic in the last round but took the risk that he would slip back to me, a seriously good holding midfielder at his peak and aside from Kante I would have him as the next best available in the draft. Great pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am confused.

I thought the draft was for current premier league players but would be judged on their total premier league form

Then the special round was for current players that are no longer in the premier league however their premier league form from 2010 onward would count

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I am confused.

I thought the draft was for current premier league players but would be judged on their total premier league form

Then the special round was for current players that are no longer in the premier league however their premier league form from 2010 onward would count

First part is correct yeah, then was it decided that the special round will be any player who has played in the PL in the last 10 years regardless of if they are still playing or not?

First part is correct yeah, then was it decided that the special round will be any player who has played in the PL in the last 10 years regardless of if they are still playing or not?

Yeah, that's my understanding of it. Have someone lined up based off this anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

My understanding was still playing, i.e. current, fitting in with the draft theme and played in the PL in last 10 years. Otherwise it's just a historical PL round?

I am easy either way but it says below that they do not still need to be active but must have played a game after 1st Jan 2010 (eliminates Ronaldo which can only be a good thing).

I am easy either way but it says below that they do not still need to be active but must have played a game after 1st Jan 2010 (eliminates Ronaldo which can only be a good thing).

Ah I missed that post, tough keeping up while banned haha.

Yeah fair enough really. Is it their peak in the 10s we should be aiming for or overall in the league, even if it's before then?

Not sure but we should decide soon, for example if someone picked Giggs would he be judged on his 2010 until retirement form or when he was a nippy winger earlier in his career? I would say their form in the 2010's would make the most sense.

Not sure but we should decide soon, for example if someone picked Giggs would he be judged on his 2010 until retirement form or when he was a nippy winger earlier in his career? I would say their form in the 2010's would make the most sense.

I would be happier with form in 2010s I think looking through the options as I could see a huge drop after first 3 or so names going off the other system. Like there's PL GOATs in there who would be as unfair as Ronaldo.

Yeah form in the 2010s for me as well. Otherwise the rule makes no sense other than to block Ronaldo and it actually opens up a way to let probably the first pick in the all time drafts back in.

• Advertisement

Seems pretty clear to me

How exactly would the example player be judged on the 2010s?

according to the bellow quote they wouldn't be.
    I agree on both points. Last ten years gives a greater pool and is more of a special round I think. For the sake of convenience it'll be 'a game from 1/Jan/2010 onward'.

Yes, it would be based on their entire performances in the Premier League only.

I'll wait and see if there are any major objections before a final decision.

Seems to be a bit of a legends round but with a cut off date so that some like Ronaldo / Keane are not included which is fair enough by me as excluding those players makes it more in line with the advantage players gained by being at the top of the draw early on.

I have no problem with the round either way

If you are worried that people at the top of the draw in this round will take the top names remember many of them might have already picked players in the positions you want a legend in and you might still get one of the real elite by sheer luck even though you got a great first rd draw.

Another scenario could be that players could be forced to pick a certain position as the standard left from non legend picks in that round might have fallen a lot. For instance I think most of the really good CFs are already gone so even if there are argueably better legends in other positions some may let them slip by so as to fulfill their need.

Seems pretty clear to me

How exactly would the example player be judged on the 2010s?

according to the bellow quote they wouldn't be.

Seems to be a bit of a legends round but with a cut off date so that some like Ronaldo / Keane are not included which is fair enough by me as excluding those players makes it more in line with the advantage players gained by being at the top of the draw early on.

I have no problem with the round either way

If you are worried that people at the top of the draw in this round will take the top names remember many of them might have already picked players in the positions you want a legend in and you might still get one of the real elite by sheer luck even though you got a great first rd draw.

Another scenario could be that players could be forced to pick a certain position as the standard left from non legend picks in that round might have fallen a lot. For instance I think most of the really good CFs are already gone so even if there are argueably better legends in other positions some may let them slip by so as to fulfill their need.

I think form from their overall time spent in Premier league should be the way we go.

I think it's only fair the reverse order get some bit of advantage. Also its a special round for a reason, leave it open ended, it's far more interesting.

This from someone smack bang in the middle of the order.

I think form from their overall time spent in Premier league should be the way we go.

I think it's only fair the reverse order get some bit of advantage. Also its a special round for a reason, leave it open ended, it's far more interesting.

This from someone smack bang in the middle of the order.

Number 1 in the draft got the best player in the league in their opinion right now whereas number 1 in the special round is going to get the best PL player ever. Might as well open it up further if going that route as the rule was only changed to accommodate Ronaldo?

Liam O wrote: »
    Number 1 in the draft got the best player in the league in their opinion right now whereas number 1 in the special round is going to get the best PL player ever. Might as well open it up further if going that route as the rule was only changed to accommodate Ronaldo?

But Ronaldo can't be included because he didn't play in the 10's in the premier league.

Im talking about players who played in the 10's but to include their form overall before the 10's not just the 10's onwards.

Here's one at random, Carlos Tevez. Played in Premier league in the 10's but I would argue his form before the 10's should be included as well ie. his time at West Ham and Man Utd.

Zabaleta is a great pick, was going to go for him this round but Walker fits the system I'm going for slightly better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement