Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DM_7 wrote: »

He was the fastest player in the PL during both his loan spells iirc.

Very nice to see injuries didnt make him loose his pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM_7 wrote: »
    It influenced his wage request just like it did De Gea's.

Nope the club waiting until he had already received a ridiculous offer from PSG before attempting to negotiate influenced his wage demands.

Sanchez can't be blamed contract renewal/non renewal going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Pukki out for Norwich. Should be 3 points in the bag. Let's hope he rests Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Without wanting to defend Phil Jones I think the thread is again going overboard on its scapegoating.

No, we don't need to play Matic or Carrick in central defence, no we don't need to play AWB there. Phil Jones is not the anti-christ, he is a perfectly capable defender and it shouldn't even be a debate that he comes into the side this weekend rather than risking Maguire at home to Norwich.

Since you responded to me directly while addressing "the thread"

Is Phil Jones not injured no?

Edit: just to make this clear, my point was in relation to not playing a player who is clearly carrying a knock at the very least. I don't care who comes in for him, it wasn't a slight against Phil Jones ,it's an emphasis that I don't care who plays there as long as we maybe use some squad management and don't play the injured guy

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

xtal191 wrote: »
    Bruno should've been brought in last summer and maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

When you've got a midfield of Fred, Pereira and Lingard.....You haven't got a midfield.

You're not wrong about last summer.

But good God can we just get a real No.10 in now please!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Neil Ashton, who presented The Sunday Supplement on Sky, has been hired by United as a PR consultant. He will provide advice to the vice-chairman Ed Woodward and co-owner Joel Glazer on dealing with the British media.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    When you've got a midfield of Fred, Pereira and Lingard.....You haven't got a midfield.

You're not wrong about last summer.

But good God can we just get a real No.10 in now please!

If everyone was fit, a midfield of Pogba, Bruno, Fred (in current form) and McT would be a super solid base. Still would like one more, mind. Someone a bit more box-to-box-y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why didn't we sign Fernandes in the summer then? Not believing these rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RasTa wrote: »

Tbf it took us 12 months to actually sign Herrera and Maguire from when we were first linked to signing them so I find the 6 month delay the most believable part, although still too optimistic a timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Liam O wrote: »
    If he's joining to play the same role that Lingard/Pereira/Mata have been playing this season without a change of tactics then I'm not sure if it's going to change much. They get very few touches a game despite being in a position that should be the fulcrum of the attack. Maybe he can demand the ball more but the position in the tactical setup is clearly more of a problem than the players there (who have also been admittedly shíte)

Curious as to what tactics are being employed that make those 3 below par? For me, they're just not up to the standards required for a number 10. A better player will influence the game more..

I do think Ole has disappointed in these games against deep lying defenses. But for me, he should have realised that he didn't have a capable 10 and changed formation for these games... taking the 10 out of the equation with a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. We would have still struggled from a lack of creativity but at least we would have caused defenses a bit more trouble with 2 strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

beno619 wrote: »
    Nope the club waiting until he had already received a ridiculous offer from PSG before attempting to negotiate influenced his wage demands.

Sanchez can't be blamed contract renewal/non renewal going forward.

That’s not correct

Sanchez’ contract influenced a ton of contracts at the club and will have a lasting effect.

De Gea for one, no club in the world would pay Rashford and Martial north of 200k a week either. To be fair to Rashford, he has done something in the last 2/3 months to earn his pay cheque but it’s not enough unless he continues that form from now on.

Any player we sign is going to base their expectations on those figures, we’ve set the bar way too high with contracts. Dybala was looking for 350k a week to play for us ffs.

It’s just another in a long line of fúck ups from Ed Woodward. Look at clubs that are ran well, Spurs, Liverpool even Chelsea, none of those clubs are desperate though which is part of the problem.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Because he couldn’t pass the ball well

But we’re ignoring that now because 8 wins in 21 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

PARlance wrote: »
    Curious as to what tactics are being employed that make those 3 below par? For me, they're just not up to the standards required for a number 10. A better player will influence the game more..

I do think Ole has disappointed in these games against deep lying defenses. But for me, he should have realised that he didn't have a capable 10 and changed formation for these games... taking the 10 out of the equation with a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. We would have still struggled from a lack of creativity but at least we would have caused defenses a bit more trouble with 2 strikers.

It's quite simple really. They try to get the ball to the wide players or quickly to the striker from midfield. This leaves the no.10 to be marked by at least 2, potentially 3 players if the other team has 2 DMs and a spare CB. Now a lot of players in that position will come deep looking for the ball and try to make things happen from there, see Özil against United, but that doesn't seem to be part of the instruction at United. Lingard has done it a few times this season and looked miles better than when he pushes up to the striker but the next game it's back to standing up there and the ball flying past him 20 times a game. Seen the same from Mata and Pereira so it's not limited to him.

I don't believe any of them are good enough to be starters for United but they're better players than we've seen this season. If it was one or even 2 of them looking completely blunt in the position I could believe it's the players, but the fact it's all 3 is making me believe that the tactics are to blame and the position is poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Liam O wrote: »
    Now a lot of players in that position will come deep looking for the ball and try to make things happen from there, see Özil against United, but that doesn't seem to be part of the instruction at United. Lingard has done it a few times this season and looked miles better than when he pushes up to the striker but the next game it's back to standing up there and the ball flying past him 20 times a game.

Pogba does it regularly and does so effectively. But he's started something like 5 league games all season.
    The others like Lingard and Perreira are simply not good enough to do this effectively on a regular basis.

And of course the Pogba/Riaola situation has turned into a circus....

The squad is so thin on good creative midfield players, and the tactics have to suit the players a manager has.
    This essentially is what imo drives the approach whereby forward thinking (but average) midfielders get bypassed in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Any sign of Bruno lads?

Maybe its Frank Bruno we are signing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Pogba does it regularly and does so effectively. But he's started something like 5 league games all season.
    The others like Lingard and Perreira are simply not good enough to do this effectively on a regular basis.

And of course the Pogba/Riaola situation has turned into a circus....

The squad is so thin on good creative midfield players, and the tactics have to suit the players a manager has.
    This essentially is what imo drives the approach whereby forward thinking (but average) midfielders get bypassed in games.

Admittedly I’m not tactical genius, But how is united the only club it seems in the top half that is really missing this kind of player (Pogba aside)? Like Is there absolutely no way of the squad compensating for this deficiency? Does every team in the EPL have these sort of players?

Liverpool’s central midfield is often three lads that are not known for their attack minded play like a Pogba. What is it , fabhino, Henderson, Wijnaldum, llalana
    and Milner? Are these not just well coached and setup as opposed to being great at unlocking defences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any word on Fernandez yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That’s not correct

Sanchez’ contract influenced a ton of contracts at the club and will have a lasting effect.

De Gea for one, no club in the world would pay Rashford and Martial north of 200k a week either. To be fair to Rashford, he has done something in the last 2/3 months to earn his pay cheque but it’s not enough unless he continues that form from now on.

Any player we sign is going to base their expectations on those figures, we’ve set the bar way too high with contracts. Dybala was looking for 350k a week to play for us ffs.

It’s just another in a long line of fúck ups from Ed Woodward. Look at clubs that are ran well, Spurs, Liverpool even Chelsea, none of those clubs are desperate though which is part of the problem.

I disagree and don't think there's much point going back and forward on this. As you said yourself poor decision making and desperation would be a bigger cause.

Dybala would have been making his biggest move and about to hit his prime of course he'd be looking for top money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It’ll be Monday before we hear any more about this Fernandes deal. I think we need another midfielder in too, a proper midfielder who can compete or be better than Fred who has become a very good part of our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Emre Can has supposedly turned down a move to United out of respect for Liverpool according to Tuttosport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,632 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

8-10 wrote: »
    Emre Can has supposedly turned down a move to United out of respect for Liverpool according to Tuttosport

Thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Would of been just another McT/Fred type of player not what was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,192 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just offer Pogba for CR7 and let the good times begin again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Probably the easiest game of the season and he start Maguire who is supposed to be not full fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Probably the easiest game of the season and he start Maguire who is supposed to be not full fit

I really wish you hadn’t said that:D

Buy ye, I think 4-1 Utd. Just the way this seasons been. Idah with the consolation be nice.

• What a terrible decision to start him

• Advertisement

What a terrible decision to start him

1+

This is a perfect game for Jones, surely he couldn't even **** up against a depleted Norwich team

Nice to see the game on Premier Sports where Ole's colleagues wont beable to back him up and the panel are already ripping Ole apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Badly need 3 points today. Maybe this can be the day we have an easy win against an *easy* team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Headshot wrote: »
    Nice to see the game on Premier Sports where Ole's colleagues wont beable to back him up and the panel are already ripping Ole apart

Ya they werent holding back, and rightly so

Emre Can has supposedly turned down a move to United out of respect for his sanity according to Tuttosport

Fixed your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Should be a handy win today tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Am i missing somethin lads theres no sign of the utd game on premier sports1 or 2, ive got iptv, can prob find it elsewhere but just wonderin why ive got cyclin and ice hockey on my premier sports and others have the football???

Ya they werent holding back, and rightly so

Bang on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Should be a handy win today tbh

You would imagine so alright.

I threw a fiver on the draw at 4-1 though, been hurt too many times and need a safety net to cover the price of my beers.

If we lose I'll then hopefully hell get sacked.

Win win win

Sort of

I’m annoyed at the setup of this team already and it’s Juan Mata again doing something that infuriates me by abandoning the right wing and crowding the middle of the pitch. The right wing is empty cause every player is dragged to the left to suffocate Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Am i missing somethin lads theres no sign of the utd game on premier sports1 or 2, ive got iptv, can prob find it elsewhere but just wonderin why ive got cyclin and ice hockey on my premier sports and others have the football???

That's the UK version. It's on Bein 11 anyway.

That looked like a stonewall peno to me but my stream is very ****?

Was there contact?

You gotta love Williams. Such a breath of fresh air. Can we make him captain?

Only half messin.

• No pattern of play
    It's so predictable

• Advertisement

Shot-on-target has been quiet thus far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No pattern of play
    It's so predictable

Thinking we are playing very well tbh.

That looked like a stonewall peno to me but my stream is very ****?

Was there contact?

Not really sure. Not all contact is a foul anyway. Nobody claimed for it really so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

That's the UK version. It's on Bein 11 anyway.

Was just thinkin that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fred again incapable of playing a forward pass through the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

They will score on the break. We have yet to take a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ankles wrote: »

Williams took a shot but it was miles over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

ankles wrote: »

BY which I mean we will score, they have yet to shoot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Rashford !!! Great ball from Mata.