Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Switzerland missing Shakiri. I can see the Georgians nicking a point here.

Georgia 0-2 Switzerland....it's nearly over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

U19s qualify for this summer's Euros with a game to spare after Russia and Romania finished 0-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭pgj2015

keogh shouldn't be playing with a broken wrist. its only gibraltar we are playing, my mother could fill in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tom Mohan doing a great job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Lots to be excited about at 17s, 19s and 21s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭eire4

sugarman wrote: »
    Of the last squad that qualified for the finals in 2011, we had Doherty, Egan, Hendrick and Williams all go on to earn senior caps and McCarey and McDermott have also been in senior squads.

I'd be hopeful for the same if not more from this group of players.

Also, I noticed this could be the first time we've qualified for the u17s and u19s finals since '98 incidentally ..when we won both.

To be fair now that is stretching thins a bit. We are in the U17 finals because we are hosts. But nonetheless it is encouraging to see the quality and depth we do have at U19. At least it gives some hope for the future given how poor we are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Is Alsemo Garcia McNulty any good
    Should we fast track him to tie him down ?

He is Spanish isnt he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hearing Delaney is gone....

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Seen a few tweets alright. He'd hardly have went out there if he was standing down though I'd reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Pudsy33 wrote: »

I'll believe it when I hear it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eod100 wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I hear it..

That is generally how things work,.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sunday Business Post looks like it’ll be interesting reading tomorrow if the rumours are to be believed.
    That €100k loan may just have been the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The loan paid back the day after they received funding from Sport Ireland. Delaney then requested even more of the drawdown funding.

Delaney going seems to be building momentum in the whispers online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That is generally how things work,.................

Yes it is. Not like the first time there's been speculation tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭eire4

Lets hope it becomes reality soon. That would be great news if Delaney was finally gone.

Hendrick just scores to finally give us the lead in Gibraltar. Surprised to see that is only his second ever international goal.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yes it is. Not like the first time there's been speculation tbf

I can't recall any speculation that he was stepping down before. The rumours are emanating from our main soccer journalists tweeting within yards of all the FAI delegates. There has to be more than an ounce of strength in this one.

We wait and see and hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭Guffy

I wonder how Delaney going, if true, will affect the Stephan Kenny situation

• Advertisement

Guffy wrote: »

Contract is probably with the FAI as an organisation rather than just with Delaney.

Guffy wrote: »

None at all. It just means JD won't have to respond to any more questions how bizarre of an arrangement it was.

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/1109498880385781763

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

So seems to be confirmed anyway!

Delaney stepping down.....to a new role.

Stephen Kenny's first game in charge of Ireland's u-21s against Luxembourg is being shown on Eir Sport 1 tomorrow. 5pm kick-off.

Troy Parrott misses out through injury which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wonder did he buy one more round for the lads before stepping down

slov.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

So for the Georgia game... what changes would you like to see in the line up?

Where do you buy U21 tickets?

Edit - scratch that, found them. Didn't realise Ticketmaster did sport events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Where do you buy U21 tickets?

For the U21 game vs Luxembourg ->

https://www.ticketmaster.ie/euro-under-21-qualifier-republic-of-ireland-u21-v-luxembourg-u21-dublin-24-03-2019/event/1800563CCFEC5FFB

You'll see ticket options show on the match fixture page as they are available as well: https://www.fai.ie/ireland/tickets-membership/upcoming-fixtures

Cheers. Couldn't see them at all on FAI site and never realised Ticketmaster did sport. Got a couple in the new stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Personally, I'd like to see McClean out and Brady in, even if only for an hour. I'm not sure a midfield two will work against Georgia, so I'd be tempted to bring in Arter.

As for Mick, I wouldn't expect he'll make wholesale changes. Maybe two at most.

Have a feeling he'll start Arter as part of a 3 man CM, at the expense of Maguire. Doherty might miss out on the right, based on Mick's comments after the game. Although he also said Brady isn't for enough for 90 minutes, so it's hard to envisage what happens there.

• Advertisement

He still needs to find a place for Doherty. You can't leave out your best player even if right midfield didn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd say we will definitely need to go three in the middle so would see either Whelan or Arter coming in to start alongside Hourihane and Hendrick. Maguire wil probably be the one to miss out as McGoldrick had the better game yesterday. Other than that I can see the team more or less staying the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭pgj2015

its a pity he made coleman captain as i would drop him for doherty.

i would have darl horgan or micheal duffy in ahead of mcclean as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wales just beat Slovakia.

My god they were impressive.

Wilted a bit the last 15 but should have won by more.

James looks a player.

Stephen Kenny's first u-21 XI for the game against Luxembourg has been named. (5pm k.o. on Eir Sport)

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1109843569383079937

Liverpool's Kelleher and Masterson and Man United's O'Connor also involved.

I'd say we will definitely need to go three in the middle so would see either Whelan or Arter coming in to start alongside Hourihane and Hendrick. Maguire wil probably be the one to miss out as McGoldrick had the better game yesterday. Other than that I can see the team more or less staying the same.

I'd say Doherty will drop out and we'll see something like this:

......................Randolph

Coleman - Keogh - Duffy - Stevens

........................Whelan

Hendrick - Arter - Hourihane - McClean

.....................McGoldrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'd say Doherty will drop out and we'll see something like this:

......................Randolph

Coleman - Keogh - Duffy - Stevens

........................Whelan

Hendrick - Arter - Hourihane - McClean

.....................McGoldrick

What's the craic with Hendrick on the right?

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    What's the craic with Hendrick on the right?

I wouldn't play him there but given Doherty was taken off early in the second half and Micks comments after the match I doubt Doherty will be starting. He'll want to fit Hendrick in somewhere so have a feeling he might move to the right seeing as he's filled in there before for Ireland and this season at Burnley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I wouldn't play him there but given Doherty was taken off early in the second half and Micks comments after the match I doubt Doherty will be starting. He'll want to fit Hendrick in somewhere so have a feeling he might move to the right seeing as he's filled in there before for Ireland and this season at Burnley.

That's my issue. Another version of shoe horning a different player into the team.

Also, I'd quicker drop McClean than Doherty for Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

The U21 Modbro stream down for anyone else?

Adam Idah scores a header at the near post just after the half hour mark. 1-0 Ireland.

Farrugia makes it 2-0 with a lovely dink over the keeper! He's had a good half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah, try Freeflix app ;)

Can't find it in the Google Store:rolleyes:

2-0 to Ireland at Half-Time. Don't think that could have gone much better. Kelleher in goal was largely a spectator and we're putting together some nice stuff. Been impressed with Ronan, Farrugia and Elbouzedi in attack. Idah looks a strong presence up top. Coventry and Molumby are winning the midfield battle. O'Connor getting some joy down the right flank. This is a breath of fresh air compared to yesterday.

Here are the goals:

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1109871888875118594

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1109873187289006080

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Matt Doherty has been the best right back in the Premier League this season.

We have no other player even remotely close to his level of performance this season.

He should be starting, and if he isn't working out up the field - he should be played in his correct role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Mokuba wrote: »
    Matt Doherty has been the best right back in the Premier League this season.

We have no other player even remotely close to his level of performance this season.

He should be starting, and if he isn't working out up the field - he should be played in his correct role.

Coleman has done nothing to warrant being dropped and he’s our captain. Doherty will have to adapt to right midfield or left back if he wants to get into the side.

What an effort from Molumby off the crossbar. He looks a good player.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1109882238269837313

IDAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Lovely break from Ireland for 3-0.

Nice link-up with him and Ronan. Masterson had tidied up well in defence prior to it as well.

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/1109884401343705091

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The talks of Irish football being in the doldrums for the next 20 years is thankfully seemingly nonsense. All of our underage teams are performing fantastically well, probably the best we’ve had since the Brian Kerr years with Duff, Keane, O’Shea etc.

The future is bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

The talks of Irish football being in the doldrums for the next 20 years is thankfully seemingly nonsense. All of our underage teams are performing fantastically well, probably the best we’ve had since the Brian Kerr years with Duff, Keane, O’Shea etc.

The future is bright.

Add the possibility of JD been given the heave ho and things will really look rosey.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement