Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Summer ODI Series

• 04-05-2017 7:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I didn't know this was on tomorrow until I saw a few articles on RTE today. It's been hard to be enthusiastic about Irish cricket recently, a win would be great tomorrow to get a bit of spark back but I honestly think we'll be hammered. England are at least missing a few guys thanks to the IPL but they usually don't select a full squad anyway.

Game starts at 11am, and you can watch it on Sky Sports 2 HD

Preview here on cricinfo for anyone who would like to read it. Forecast looks good, should be no rain

Probable teams
    England: (probable) 1 Jason Roy, 2 Alex Hales, 3 Joe Root, 4 Eoin Morgan (capt), 5 Jonny Bairstow, 6 Sam Billings, 7 Moeen Ali/Adil Rashid, 8 David Willey, 9 Liam Plunkett, 10 Jake Ball, 11 Mark Wood

Ireland: (probable) 1 William Porterfield (capt), 2 Paul Stirling, 3 Ed Joyce, 4 Gary Wilson, 5 Niall O'Brien (wk), 6 Kevin O'Brien, 7 Stuart Thompson, 8 George Dockrell, 9 Tim Murtagh, 10 Barry McCarthy, 11 Craig Young

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

England have a great batting line -up, they bat all the way down to no.8 based on this selection.

Ireland have a team that has been together for awhile now, Tim Murtagh is a good bowler, had some good years in County cricket, e.g. Middlesex, Paul Stirling is in and out of the Middlesex team, when he gets going, he is a fine hitter.
    Never thought much of Porterfield as a batsman or captain, Ed Joyce would have been my preference, again know him from Middlesex days.

Middlesex are my team, coming from Ealing and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Ireland batting first. Peter Chase gets the nod over Craig Young, other than that the team is as expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Started very well, but both openers gone have slowed Ireland right down.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Balbirnie got the board moving again but fell for 30, after Joyce got 23 and Stirling 20 so starts but nobody going on yet :( 84/3 off 19 with Porterfield still in but not got going yet, 7 off 32 ... Niall just in (2 from 2) with Kevin and Wilson to come before we get to Thompson, Dockrell, Murtagh and Chase so good luck predicting what we might end up with! Rashid just on to start the middle overs of spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Need a partnership to develop - plenty of overs left, but with 5 down we're struggling already.

• Advertisement

Weak end from Porterfield chipping it off the toe to mid on and Wilson out LBW sweeping seemed convinced he'd hit it but nothing on snicko and nothing clear (I'd have loved to see hot-spot on the gloves). The O'Brien brothers are probably going to have to put on 100 partnership to give us any hope of putting any sort of total on the board having come together at 93/5 ... 100 just up for 5 now off 25.2

K O'Brien gone, wheels falling off.

Edit: now Thompson gone too. Dire straits.

That familiar collapse... in to the tail now with just over 100 on the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

108/7 now

And Thompson goes dot, four, bowled ... 3 for Rashid, seems that name is all it takes to ruin us :(

• Advertisement

the team has been on the decline for the last 3 years so no surprise here really. Afghanistan well better than us now.

8 down

126 all out. Capitulation unfortunately and gives the bowlers nothing to bowl at.

All out for 126. This match won't even last 50 overs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Derco wrote: »
    All out for 126. This match won't even last 50 overs

Maybe go back to the old days?
    When Test nations dropped by for friendlies, there was no need for a toss: the visitors would always bat first, to ensure play lasted the whole day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/england-vs-ireland-70-year-ban-verge-becoming-test-nation-a-history-irish-cricket-a7718221.html

Dang it Murtagh couldn't hang onto a caught and bowled or they'd be 2 down for 1 :( Was 1/1 when I started typing this with the only run from a no-ball first ball of the innings but Hales just got off the mark with a 4, 3 balls after the drop :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I have a ticket for the NZ game next Sunday. Could be a short day out.

I wouldn't go that drastic but do think we should stop deluding ourselves thinking we can do ourselves justice against the Full Members anymore. We should go back to playing in the World Cricket League and rebuild because the thrashings that are almost expected now can't be good for morale, especially for young players coming through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Even worse than I imagined tbh :(

Messy in the field, and a bit unluckily on a couple of occasions. Thought the bowlers did OK in a lost cause but the batting was woeful.

• Advertisement

Doesn't help when Ireland's best player is captaining the other team either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Absolute rubbish folks.

Out of respect for the patrons and the fans that show up to Lords on Sunday, if Ireland win the Toss they should allow England to bat first. Let them put up their 400+ and give the fans something to enjoy.

This mini series was folly from the start

Absolute rubbish folks.

Out of respect for the patrons and the fans that show up to Lords on Sunday, if Ireland win the Toss they should allow England to bat first. Let them put up their 400+ and give the fans something to enjoy.

This mini series was folly from the start

I think it's great, sell out Lords and very good crowd today. Irish cricket can't just hide because it's going through a lean period.

The biggest problem is that the team that played today will probably be playing on Sunday. I think one of the commentators said today that 7 of the 11 played against England in Bangalore. If Boyd Rankin wasn't injured it would have been 8.

The players missing are Trent Johnston (retired), John Mooney (retired) and Alex Cusack (who wasn't great).

So basically in the last 6 years, 1 player has played his way in/out the team through performance. That's shocking on any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Why are Ireland being given test status when clearly they don't deserve it.

I'm only a casual follower of the game but when the same players have been there for the last 7 or 8 years and no youngsters are replacing them surely it's a sign the game has completely stalled and we don't actual deserve the chance to play test match cricket.Have the world cup of 2007 and 2011 not had any effect on increasing participation and helping bring through better players

Surely playing 5 days test matches and getting pasted will actually have a negative affect on the sports popularity in Ireland and not a positive effect.

Surely playing 5 days test matches and getting pasted will actually have a negative affect on the sports popularity in Ireland and not a positive effect.

Not just the popularity in Ireland but the global interest. Nobody wants to watch one sided tests and test venues or tv companies don't want 2-3 day test matches. It will be a disaster all round. And this isn't just talking about against the likes of England, South Africa, India and Australia. They will be taking smashings off Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the West Indies too.

they are going through a lean patch, but the support from icc is also pretty bad. from the article 90/0 posted above:

'When Ireland reached the Super Eights in 2007, knocking out Zimbabwe along the way, they received $56,000 in prize money for their performance in the Caribbean; Zimbabwe received $11 million, simply by dint of being a Full Member.'

thats petty ****ing disgraceful, and makes it much harder for cricket ireland to develop the game at all levels.

on a broader note, it would be interesting how sport in ireland would be (think soccer, rugby, cricket, hockey, etc) if there was no GAA. similar population to NZ. could we be challenging for international honors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland won toss and are bowling

First wicket. Hales gone. England 49-1

• Advertisement

Both England openers gone. 60 - 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭blackcard

Roy gone. 2 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭kksaints

73-2 after 15 overs. Playing well enough so far.

Morgan and root doing some damage here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I just feel mischievous....

"Alan Lewis
    Ex-Ireland batsman and chairman of selectors on BBC Test Match Special
    There is a bit more energy about Ireland in the field today, which is pleasing to see. There have been some clean stops. But these two English batsmen seem set now"

morgan gone for 76. 231/4 after 38. not a bad position

• Advertisement

Billings gone. 229/5

So difficult at the closing overs for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ireland 68-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

68-1, good stand, pity

Becomes 77-2 with Joyce falling to the 4th ball of spin (and from Root not Rashid). Balbirnie and Porterfield out there now to try and rebuild

• Advertisement

Thought thats one might have been missing. Do Ireland have an appeal left?

Edit: ooh, quite hard done by even though it was technically right not to review.

Fine innings porter field. Pity he couldnt get the ton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Ah that's incredibly frustrating, seemed to be kicking himself on his way off. Well played, he was really going for it.

Yep KOB first and then Porterfield were both still looking to win it, not just settling for getting onto the honours board or trying to get to a "respectable" score. I'm fine with them going down swinging and today's performance overall, the result will look a bit bad but we just let them sneak too many, a very marginal decision (Balbirnie) and perhaps a sensible batsman short (sorry NOB) :(

Pity they couldn't break 250, it always seems the point to me at which a score starts to approach something respectable (although not particularly competitive). Better than last time out anyway, looking forward to the next few games a little more now.

They could have broken 250 but doing so would have meant giving up on the outside chance of a win (which wasn't completely outlandish until Porterfield fell, they'd just taken 8,15,13 off the prior 3 overs to leave themselves needing 108 off the last 10) but as I said KOB and then Porterfield dared to dream and backed themselves instead of settling for just trying to make it appear a little better to those who just looked at the score afterwards.

Or they could have just squeezed another 7 runs out of the last wicket...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Just saw the highlights. Was surprised to see the stands so full. Am I wrong in thinking that implies a very sizeable Irish contingent - travelling and London-based? I know Lord's is a nice place simply to be (!) so tickets sell whatever the opposition, but would a non-test side opposition normally have so high an attendance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Just saw the highlights. Was surprised to see the stands so full. Am I wrong in thinking that implies a very sizeable Irish contingent - travelling and London-based? I know Lord's is a nice place simply to be (!) so tickets sell whatever the opposition, but would a non-test side opposition normally have so high an attendance?

A big Irish contingent apparently, but England matches at Lord's are hard to come by, so a lot of people would go regardless of the opposition.

It was a great excuse for any England fans to drag Irish mates to Lords and to prove that cricket isn't actually boring after all :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

A big Irish contingent apparently, but England matches at Lord's are hard to come by, so a lot of people would go regardless of the opposition.

It was a great excuse for any England fans to drag Irish mates to Lords and to prove that cricket isn't actually boring after all :D.

Thanks. I sure wish I had such English mates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement