Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why BCCI doesn't use DRS?

Options
  • 02-09-2015 7:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

We have seen lots of wrong decisions in the recently concluded India-Sri Lanka series. If DRS was there, result could be different.

So my question is why BCCI doesn't favor DRS?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You'd probably need to ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

TrueDub wrote: »
    You'd probably need to ask them...

Thats fairly unhelpful.

OP, they have variously cited the following reasons, take your pick as to which if any you agree with.

The system is not 100% accurate. In particular for lbw Hawkeye (or similar systems) are attempting to predict the flight of the ball and is basically just the opinion of a computer program and not necessarily any better than the umpires original decision.
    Even those countries who do embrace DRS seem to be continually tweaking it, signalling that no-one is happy with the way it operates.
    Top Indian players like Sachin believe the game is better without it.
    There are still various issues with the accuracy of snickometers.
    Cost : About $50K per game which would be better spent elsewhere.
    The old argument that everyone should have the same playing rules whether its a test match in Eden Gardens or Division Z match on a village green.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's an article here

I think the origins came down to a mistrust of the system after a few close decisions went against them. Even if the system has since improved I suspect it's quite difficult for them to change that view without suggestions of them backing down.

Problem is no system can ever be completely foolproof, although on many LBW and thin edge decisions I think the it is pretty impressive. However LBW decisions involve predicting the way a ball will move which is always going to require an element of "judgment" within the system. In addition there are still quite a lot of catches near the ground where video evidence is simply inconclusive. There is also, I guess, a temptation for umpires not to be decisive on the basis one side or other can seek a review. The problem then is it often reverts to "umpires call" which may well have been "influenced" precisely because the system is there as a back-up

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add, and I certainly don't think this in any way influenced the BCCI decision, it was interesting to see some of the recent commentary on no-balls. It was being suggested that some umpires were not properly checking, as if there was a wicket decision the DRS system could be called on to check, meaning a lot of no-balls were being missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 shivesh73

Guys the DRS incident in New Zealand and Australia test match also raises the question over technology. What do you say about that incident when Lyon got the wicket at crucial time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

shivesh73 wrote: »
    Guys the DRS incident in New Zealand and Australia test match also raises the question over technology. What do you say about that incident when Lyon got the wicket at crucial time.

Nothing to say except that it was the difference between a 2-0 Australian win and a 1-1 tied series

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Advertisement