Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

View threadbans

Options
  • 05-04-2021 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭

If you have a threadban on a thread how do you know? Is it possible to view this without searching through hundreds of pages and risking getting forum banned?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

smurgen wrote: »
    If you have a threadban on a thread how do you know? Is it possible to view this without searching through hundreds of pages and risking getting forum banned?

Agreed, threadbans are not ideal in terms of visibility, and the obvious solution here is not to post to the degree that you would be threadbanned.

Generally speaking, the mods will post in the thread with respect to your threadban, and if it's accompanied by a card, it will be mentioned in the attached notification too. And we've had posters who have posted, then realized they were threadbanned and dropped a PM to the mods to clear things up, so there is latitude.

My own preference would be to have a standardized approach where a list of threadbanned posters is maintained in the first post, and is worth discussion intoe mods forum. The ideal of course would be for threadbans to have a software solution in that if you are banned then you simply can't post. That may be something for the future though.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know not everyone does this, but I always PM the user informing them of their threadban. I've also been trying to update OPs when we start a new thread on some of the Coronavirus topics, but some certainly slip through that net. When |I get a chance I will have a look at some of those longer running threads and list threadbans in the OPs where we don't already do so.

I agree though that it's good practice to do this regardless. I think the Coronavirus forum has created many more long-running threads where posters may not recall they are threadbanned.

One further thing I will do is issue a 1 week ban for breach of threadban, but will usually lift that once the poster provides assurance they will not post in the thread again (unless they are a "serial offender").

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

No problem at all. I just thought there was a button or feature I was missing. Only getting to grips with the settings on boards so thought I'd ask. Thanks and have a good weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement