Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rambunctious1

Couldn't believe the state of Dunnes today.

Was in on Sunday and it was the same. We walked up and down the aisles playing "guess what used to be there". I nearly don't want to say that other local supermarkets are absolutely fine, in case these ****wits descend there too. People are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

People are so stupid it's actually unreal. The Taoiseach tells people to avoid crowded places and what do they do? Get in their cars and pile into the shops. Why??? Deliveries will continue as normal. Stock will be normal next week. Honestly maybe we need an extinction event.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tesco headford road is a sight to behold today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The unpopular unspoken reality is people don't want to have to go to the shops next week in case the catch it there. Today was the trigger "before it gets too bad" so maybe their thought is to self isolate and avoid going back until it blows over. Personally I was very comforted that in China and other afflicted countries never had serious problems other than short-term runs on goods. I'm hoping when I go back Monday for milk and bread things will start to normalise by then.

But yes, sheeple are idiots. I'm seeing on twitter it's much much worse than it was when I snapped those pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MadYaker wrote: »
    People are so stupid it's actually unreal. The Taoiseach tells people to avoid crowded places and what do they do? Get in their cars and pile into the shops. Why??? Deliveries will continue as normal. Stock will be normal next week. Honestly maybe we need an extinction event.

I'm rather glad they are there today while I'm at work. Will go in next Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I'm rather glad they are there today while I'm at work. Will go in next Monday.

Much safer to do it then when it is nice and quiet rather than packed like it is now.

Got an email from Leisureland to say they are closed for two weeks.

As for stocking up, definitely doing a beer run this evening to stock up not too bothered about stocking up on anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Got an email from Leisureland to say they are closed for two weeks.

As for stocking up, definitely doing a beer run this evening to stock up not too bothered about stocking up on anything else.

Get something stronger than beer - better internal disinfection ;)

Get something stronger than beer - better internal disinfection ;)

I’ve a large selection of spirits (incl proper poitin) at home already so I’m safe enough on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

MadYaker wrote: »

Why you ask?? Maybe because schools and crèches are now closed for the next 2 weeks...so rather than drag 3 kids 11yrs and younger tomorrow or on Monday to do our weekly shop(can't leave them home alone can I?) I went in today just before lunch. It was a bit hectic, but was in and out in under 25mins. Stop.. think for a minute. Different people are in different circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Kingfisher NUI closed effective 21:00 tonight until 30/03/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Roisin have cancelled all gigs and club nights while Monroe's have closed their live venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Just back from Dunnes in Briarhill. It wasn’t too bad considering the fruit and veg aisles are often low at this time of the evening. The newsagent in the shopping centre is selling 4 packs of bog roll for a fiver.

Edit:
    4-pack for 2.5 I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I have to go into town to meet a recruiter in the morning and I'm not sure whats now seen as the "correct" thing to do. Is going to to somewhere like McCambridges to buy a few things good or bad as they are non-essential items but I'd be supporting local business? So many conflicting messages.

I am running low on good coffee though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭tphase

grbear wrote: »

no brainer, I reckon. coffee is an essential, 2nd only to the water required to brew it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

There were a few good tips on Prime Time tonight.

Use your knuckles to press ATM and elevator buttons and doorbells.
    If someone hands you cash take it between your knuckles.

It's better to expose your knuckles because your unlikely to rub them in your eye, mouth or nose.

Ask visitors to wash their hands once they enter your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why you ask?? Maybe because schools and crèches are now closed for the next 2 weeks...so rather than drag 3 kids 11yrs and younger tomorrow or on Monday to do our weekly shop(can't leave them home alone can I?) I went in today just before lunch. It was a bit hectic, but was in and out in under 25mins. Stop.. think for a minute. Different people are in different circumstances

And I wonder how many hunderds of you picked up or spread the virus to others. We have to start limiting our movement so less people die in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭thesandeman

There were a few good tips on Prime Time tonight.

Use your knuckles to press ATM and elevator buttons and doorbells.
    If someone hands you cash take it between your knuckles.

Then punch somebody you don't like.
    Double Whammy!!!

My local Lidl (50 miles from town) was out of nearly everything by closing time last night.
    The locals were just doing their normal shop but hoards arrived from Galway to stock up on stuff they couldn't get in the city.
    Total madness.

............. there will be thousands in pearse stadium on Sunday for example.............

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Augeo wrote: »
    Nope
    Explain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

biko wrote: »
    Explain

All gaa and indeed all sporting events have been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks ^^^

More from https://twitter.com/GalwayCityCo
    All performances at the Town Hall and Black Box Theatres from today until 29th March are cancelled.

Galway City Museum will be closed as of 5pm this evening, the 12th March until 29th of March. Please keep an eye on the Galway City Museum website for updates.
    All Galway public libraries will close for the next two weeks from today. You can log on to http://galwaylibrary.ie to use online services completely free. inc. ebooks, audiobooks, newspapers.

Leisureland will also be closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭thesandeman

MADRA are closing their kennels and shops for the moment. They request that people don't leave donations outside the doors of the shops.
    Anybody wanting to adopt/foster can be arranged by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

GoBus services suspended from Monday onwards, according to their Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/GobusGalway/posts/3006625276099072

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Washing your hands is more effective and more environmentally friendly than constantly changing gloves. Gloves wont protect any better than your skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Reminder that children are not meant to be out and about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Seen so many young lads out today in tracksuits up to no good thinking their gangsters.

Why do the parents think this is a 2 week holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

grbear wrote: »
    I have to go into town to meet a recruiter in the morning and I'm not sure whats now seen as the "correct" thing to do. Is going to to somewhere like McCambridges to buy a few things good or bad as they are non-essential items but I'd be supporting local business? So many conflicting messages.

They arent telling people to stay in their homes at all times. Just avoid crowds, stay a couple of metres from people as much as you can.

Though for my coffee recommendation I would say Urban Grind sell 3fe coffee. Its hard to beat. (3fe also sell online. They roast the beans on the day you place the order and send them down from Dublin - and you get to keep your social distancing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To play devil's advocate here, but maybe they were teens who were entrusted to stay at home while their parents had to go to work. The schools were closed on short notice and it's a Friday so childcare / supervision hard to come by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

From the kid's point of view this is a larf. Without broader restrictions they won't take it seriously... and how far should we freak them out? One child in KNS came home with a proper schedule of course work while the other st St Marys was sent home with little to do so only down to mrsbeard did he have assignments to do while we both worked from home. I was on the phone nonstop from 9-1pm which was a bit of a shock to our new arrangement.

Advertisement