Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the N20 Cork-Mallow road

Options
  • 20-07-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Has anyone cycled on the N20 road connecting Cork and mallow? It's a dual carriageway for parts so questioning it's safety. I will be renting a road bike from a bike rental place that's in the business Park on that road. If it is too dangerous I could always go on the Old Mallow road into the city to get out towards Kinsale, but the Mallow road would be quicker

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've done it several times. The odd close pass,but there's enough just about decent hard shoulder for most of it.

There are a few points where there is traffic calming and vehicles are a bit close. Watchout for trucks too.

It's rolling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Have never cycled it but driven it many times. Lots of drivers breaking the speed limit. If it was me I would take the other option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

hesker wrote: »
    Have never cycled it but driven it many times. Lots of drivers breaking the speed limit. If it was me I would take the other option

Second this. Extremely fast and busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

I used to cycle this road regularly over thirty years ago and never had an issue with it.... Since they put in the central division and traffic calming, this road is now HIGHLY DANGEROUS FOR CYCLISTS... no longer suitable for cycling..

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Agreed. That section with the 2+1 lane thing north of Rathduff is definitely not cycle friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

There's a much quieter road that runs almost parallel all the way to Mallow from Blarney just to west of the N20, far nicer road to travel on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Has anyone cycled on the N20 road connecting Cork and mallow? It's a dual carriageway for parts so questioning it's safety. I will be renting a road bike from a bike rental place that's in the business Park on that road. If it is too dangerous I could always go on the Old Mallow road into the city to get out towards Kinsale, but the Mallow road would be quicker

Thanks in advance

Not sure how familiar with Cork you are but in any direction north or south of Lee it is as lumpy as fcuk.

The N20 anywhere between Cork and Limerick is not very cycle friendly and the road to Kinsale isn't much better.

If you are out to enjoy a cycle and are going from Mallow to Kinsale there is no good reason to go through city. Pick bridges upstream of Sunday's Well and Fivemilebridge and get a much nicer if really lumpy route.

Something like this(I edited route as you are not heading to Crosshaven), although there is an infinite number of options. The areas all around the city are brilliant places to ride a bike, but rarely an easy place to ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30620506

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

The R619/579 to the west is a lovely route

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

It's the main artery from Cork to Limerick and over congested. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

Very similar, but there's an easier and quieter road between your route and the main road. Tracks along the bank of a river all the way to Blarney - not that you see much of the river mind.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30628230

• Advertisement
Advertisement