Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2019 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    hmm missed a few stages so far.. any really exciting ones anyone would recommend me catch up with?

Mondays stage into Albi, for starters

Coverage of the womens race due to start around now on Eurosport and ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Coverage of the womens race due to start around now on Eurosport and ITV

Its ok TG4 too if anyone needs it.

Whats the chances of Chad Haga repeating his giro tt stage victory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Does anyone have a link to start times in today's stages

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BuffaloTengo

What's up with Simon Yates this year? Last year he really came of age, almost winning the Giro and then winning the Vuelta
    This year he underperforms in the Giro and is riding the Tour for stage wins.
    I thought this would be a guy who would be able to go up against Sky/Ineos, but he has gone backwards.
    I almost consider the way he is now riding this Tour as cheating a bit, using his GC ability to pick off stages while relaxing for most other stages. Sure if Froome did that during his career he would have 20 plus TDF stages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What's up with Simon Yates this year? Last year he really came of age, almost winning the Giro and then winning the Vuelta
    I thought this would be a guy who would be able to go up against Sky/Ineos, but he has gone backwards.
    I almost consider the way he is now riding this Tour as cheating a bit, using his GC ability to pick off stages while relaxing for most other stages. Sure if Froome did that during his career he would have 20 plus TDF stages.

In the Giro, all was going very well for him up until the ITT on Stage 9 when he under performed. He then lost a bucket of time in Stage 13. He gained some time back on his rivals during Stages 14 and 15 except for Carapaz. He finished 8th overall. If he didn't have that nightmare of a performance on Stage 13 he would have finished a lot higher.

In the TdF the GC focus for the team is on Adam Yates. Simon has to ride for Adam in the big mountains. The other day was probably the only stage that the team allowed him to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From cyclingmemes

485668.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Simon Yates is unbelievable on those 8 - 12 km climbs...so fast
    Remember at the Giro 2018 and neither Froome nor Dumoulin could get near him

However his stamina in GTs like the Giro and Tour are still questionable..the Vuelta seems to be a myriad of 8-12 km climbs which suit and the competetio is less
    Lets see how Adam gets on ..if he can sustain his form on the long climbs

Great great riders but GT credentials are yet to be validated for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Simon Yates is unbelievable on those 8 - 12 km climbs...so fast
    Remember at the Giro 2018 and neither Froome nor Dumoulin could get near him

However his stamina in GTs like the Giro and Tour are still questionable..the Vuelta seems to be a myriad of 8-12 km climbs which suit and the competetio is less
    Lets see how Adam gets on ..if he can sustain his form on the long climbs

Great great riders but GT credentials are yet to be validated for me

I think he has the GT credentials and they've tried to design a parcours this year that suits the likes of him more than the likes of Froome with much less multi HC stages with Mountain Top finishes. I think its been conclusively proven that you cannot complete in the Giro and then be in contention for the Tour, so his stage hunting philosophy for the Tour seems to be a common sense call to me.

Cant see how Simon Giro credentials are there as he bonked at the Giro 2 years in a row
    Didn't say he should be in contention at the Tour ....

I said lets see with Adam and the Tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

https://i.imgur.com/qWYXLf5.mp4

Think this was 3/4 days ago, MTB Over the peleton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Angliru wrote: »
    I originally said for him not to podium, but **** it, I'm in. 20 quid it is.

@Angliru.
    Name your charity, and I'll pay the 20 yoyo as agreed.

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This is cool... Jose Joaquin Rojas came out to support his Movistar team mates today

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/1153196595158102016

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

This is cool... Jose Joaquin Rojas came out to support his Movistar team mates today

https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/1153196595158102016

Full Kit Wa#*er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @Angliru.
    Name your charity, and I'll pay the 20 yoyo as agreed.

E.

Not over yet! Dan could well pull a Froomedis :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Does anyone know what's up with Dan? He seems way off his usual level. I wonder if he's ill, or maybe just doesn't have the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

happytramp wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's up with Dan? He seems way off his usual level. I wonder if he's ill, or maybe just doesn't have the form.

Not sure, he seems to have had carte blanche from the team to train the best way he thinks works for him for this race, but I would agree his form does not seem up there with where it has been in the past. Given its a back loaded parcours, maybe he'll come good after the 2nd rest day, we'll soon find out! Fingers crossed for Dan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Can anyone explain why Alaphilippe is bookies third favorite at as much as 5/1.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not sure, he seems to have had carte blanche from the team to train the best way he thinks works for him for this race, but I would agree his form does not seem up there with where it has been in the past. Given its a back loaded parcours, maybe he'll come good after the 2nd rest day, we'll soon find out! Fingers crossed for Dan!

Maybe it's less sleep and more work with being a dad. Maybe more reluctant to take chances etc. We might never know the psychology around it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Maybe it's less sleep and more work with being a dad. Maybe more reluctant to take chances etc. We might never know the psychology around it

That had crossed my mind too. If he's living at home with two new babies that's got to have a fairly significant impact on your training schedule. Anyway he seems hopeful enough that he'll come good in the alps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

shutup wrote: »
    Can anyone explain why Alaphilippe is bookies third favorite at as much as 5/1.

He cracked on final climb of the last stage, looks totally knackered and in pain, he isn't expected to survive the three mountain stages in a row (stage 18 - 20)
    But he is still the leader and maybe he got some recovery toady nd can recover some more on the flat stage tomorrow.

Temps over the next few days are expected to be in high 30s touching 40. That could have a serious effect on any or all the riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Temps over the next few days are expected to be in high 30s touching 40. That could have a serious effect on any or all the riders.

Would Bernal be best suited for those conditions, from Columbia, hot and at altitude

Whats been going on with Kwiatkowski ? He's nowhere to be seen this tour, must be illness.

Just saw the profile for stage 20

It is possible that if you were fairly fresh and not too far down on GC ie Mikkel Landa you could win the Tour on that stage alone

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Just saw the profile for stage 20

It is possible that if you were fairly fresh and not too far down on GC ie Mikkel Landa you could win the Tour on that stage alone

2017 Landa could, not so sure about 2019 Landa.

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Would Bernal be best suited for those conditions, from Columbia, hot and at altitude

Hard to know. I've had money on bernal to win since December but looking at the way Pinot could ride the other day makes me think If he can do the same it's his to gain and win this tour.

Advertisement