Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower tray filling with water

Options
  • 29-03-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

My upstairs shower tray is filling up with water and overflowing. When too much water overflows it goes through the bathroom floor and leaks downstairs. I've checked the pipes and there not blocked, the water is slow in going down for some reason. What can I do to make the water go down faster???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The tray should have a removable drain grill, the circular part you can see, that can be cleaned when removed, they often clog with hair etc.

Assuming it was draining fine previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭poppers

My upstairs shower tray is filling up with water and overflowing. When too much water overflows it goes through the bathroom floor and leaks downstairs. I've checked the pipes and there not blocked, the water is slow in going down for some reason. What can I do to make the water go down faster???

Try mister muscle drain blocker pour it down drain and leave for a while. If thag doesnt work its time for a plumber.

Two different types of drains, showing what often causes this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Is it a rental property?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭con747

Have a look at where the pipe empties into your drain, had a similar problem and there was a build up of hard soapy gunge at the bend of the pipe near the end. Use something flexible with a small hook on the end to see if that's the issue.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have that problem every 8 or 8 months and buy the caustic soda drain unblocker from Woodies - you have to leave it 3 hours ( or overnight) and flush it through before use with a few kettles of water - does the trick every time. Stuff costs about e12 - well worth trying it before a plumber or home DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭wildwillow

If you use a liquid cleaner check that the gunge removed doesn’t lodge at the end of the pipe. Happened our kitchen sink and is easily removed with a bottle brush

Better to remove the drain grill and check first imo. Easy check. Just about every time I see this happen, it is hair and gunk clogging the removable trap or vent.

Advertisement