Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for leaking sink

Options
  • 29-03-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi, I can’t get a plumber for obvious reasons and there’s a few things around the house that need to be fixed, I’ll start with the kitchen sink. Where the tap is, at the base, water gathers and it can be caught under the sink where it drips down slowly. I’m thinking it’s the tap that is the problem. Is replacing a tap straight forward and what are the steps I should take and are there different kitchen tap sizes? Thanks everyone for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

It depends on your general handiness/DIY ability and plumbing knowledge. It’s very doable but if you’re not great at this stuff, plumbers are still allowed to work. If you’ve a few jobs you could always leave a plumber at it and disinfect afterwards but I think most will probably be dealing with emergency stuff unless they need the cash badly.

Lots of videos on YouTube if you google your problem that’ll give you an idea of what’s involved. You might struggle to get the parts at the moment too if you do need a new tap or some washers as most places are only serving trade or making limited items available for delivery/click and collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BaronyOfIda

Probably needs a new spindle on the hot or cold side, possibly both. If you can source the correct replacement spindle/valve, you should be able to replace it yourself with an adjustable spanner and a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

Identifying the tap manufacturer and model;

Solution: If theres no logo/name anywhere, can you ask where it was bought or the kitchen co. that fitted the kitchen.
    If you draw a blank on all that, remove the headworks with a screwdriver or allen key and there may be a stamp or initials on the leaky valve. If you find something, do an online search and you might find an online spare parts seller doing it, you will need to photo the tap and the exposed valve.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement