Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attending an Allotment during lockdown?

Options
  • 28-03-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi

I am wondering does anyone know whether attending an allotment is permitted during the new lockdown period?

The UK have stated that it is permitted, but restrictions in place around distancing (not normally an issue).

https://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/covid19-information/

I am wondering does this fall within food production (which it is), or within exercise within the 2km restriction?

I know there are bigger issues at stake here, but it is a good form of escape for many (including myself)

Any opinions much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wear a hi vis jacket make sure the back of the car is full of horticultural effects and tell the gardai should they flag you down that you are in food production, its the case. You just need to look like you are a grower and not a chancer

and take the back roads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

You can travel within two kilometers of your home for the purpose of exercise, bending, stretching, walking, weight lifting.....all gardening activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My garden is out the back of my house. Don't need to leave the house till next Saturday for shopping.

I spent the morning working on my new chicken run.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

... take the back roads ;)

All great advice bar this bit. I am in the middle of Dublin, so no real back road option !!

My garden is out the back of my house. Don't need to leave the house till next Saturday for shopping.

I spent the morning working on my new chicken run.

You are lucky to have the space around you. This time is a fantastic opportunity to get stuff like that done around the place, if you have both the materials and space. Good luck with it all

• Advertisement

As an FYI, I contacted the council but don't expect to hear anything back until some time later in the week.

I also contacted one of my Councillors, and in his defense he got back to me within the hour. He confirmed the allotments were still open, and expected them to be open as long as the parks remain open. I had raised the question of food production and health benefits of gardening to him, and he said he would raise it with the council and ensure they remain open as long as possible - but obviously adhere to the general social distancing principles !

I popped up yesterday to collect something from there, and the Gardai were driving behind me when I parked and did not stop me so assume all relatively good

As an FYI, I contacted the council but don't expect to hear anything back until some time later in the week.

I also contacted one of my Councillors, and in his defense he got back to me within the hour. He confirmed the allotments were still open, and expected them to be open as long as the parks remain open. I had raised the question of food production and health benefits of gardening to him, and he said he would raise it with the council and ensure they remain open as long as possible - but obviously adhere to the general social distancing principles !

I popped up yesterday to collect something from there, and the Gardai were driving behind me when I parked and did not stop me so assume all relatively good

I saw that all the South Dublin allotments closed a couple of days ago. Shame really given that social distancing is designed into allotments, but understandable from the Council given the circumstances.

Dónal wrote: »
    I saw that all the South Dublin allotments closed a couple of days ago. Shame really given that social distancing is designed into allotments, but understandable from the Council given the circumstances.

DLR are still keeping their's open for the moment. That said, I have not been up since the weekend, but was told they were being kept open as long as the parks were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

And that's that for some, everyone else will follow no doubt.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1245419354574983168

And that's that for some, everyone else will follow no doubt.

https://twitter.com/Fingalcoco/status/1245419354574983168

Just had a message from DLR council - all allotments closing at 5pm tomorrow !! Guess it will be a very lean year produce wise !!!

Guess none of them have ever been at an allotment !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Guess none of them have ever been at an allotment !
    maybe they have, but realise there are bigger things at stake.

maybe they have, but realise there are bigger things at stake.

Yeah there are bigger things at stake - I fully accept that. But in the grand scheme of things allotments are less risk than parks as numbers are very limited and there are dedicated spaces for each individual plot holder.

But accept these are extra-ordinary times ! But we need to keep in mind the longer this goes on the harder it becomes for everyone if it’s exceptionally strict. And I think most understand this will go on beyond Easter !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Reading this makes me glad I have my own land. Planting a quarter of an acre of veg.

Reading this makes me glad I have my own land. Planting a quarter of an acre of veg.
    Yes being master of your own destiny is always preferable. Lets see what the councils decide over the next while.

I see the Green Party have made a statement, but will see if it makes a difference. Its more about the sequence they reverse the lockdown as much as anything else at this stage

https://www.greenparty.ie/greens-call-on-minister-harris-to-recognise-allotments-as-essential-food-outlets/

Advertisement