Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for 20 year old on 2.0 GTI

Options
  • 15-03-2020 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Looking to get insured on a Gti , I’m 20 years old with 2 years no claims in my name, I know the insurance companies still won’t like me but can anyone recommend a way to get insured on a 2.0 GTI.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Be honest and if they’ll have you, pay a tonne of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

giphy.gif

Seriously, might be better off trying again when your 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That cheered me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Looking to get insured on a Gti , I’m 20 years old with 2 years no claims in my name, I know the insurance companies still won’t like me but can anyone recommend a way to get insured on a 2.0 GTI.

Cheers

Going to be extremely tough. Ring everyone. Ring brokers. You will probably get it but it'll be mad dear. Good luck with it, I would have loved a Gti when I was 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

What's your budget, how old is the car and where do you live?

I don't suppose you'd get away with saying you are female?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Muppet Man wrote: »

Makes no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was the 2000 Mkiv GTI not absolutelty brutal? It wasn't until the Mkv came alone that the car regained any credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Muppet Man wrote: »
    What's your budget, how old is the car and where do you live?

Farmer/farm labourer works. Not on a GTI, funnily enough with a Octavia RS though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Cheers

If you have a current live policy earning a no claims bonus then your existing insurer have to provide you a quote. You may have to go down the route of the declined cases agreement and ultimately they can charge you whatever they want (within reason) but they are obliged to quote you.

But they can quote him €20k if they want.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    But they can quote him €20k if they want.

Nope, the rules of the road traffic act state that insurers cannot provide a quote that is tantamount to declining to quote ie figures like that. If he has a clean record both driving and personally (no criminal convictions etc) then there is no justification to attempt to quote like that. They would likely quote a couple of grand, maybe 4 or 5 at a push for the year but anymore than that there is no justification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

A Gti at 20? I’d even have issues getting insurance on one of those and I’m twice your age. If you can get someone to take you on prepare to throw away your money like confetti

Nope, the rules of the road traffic act state that insurers cannot provide a quote that is tantamount to declining to quote ie figures like that. If he has a clean record both driving and personally (no criminal convictions etc) then there is no justification to attempt to quote like that. They would likely quote a couple of grand, maybe 4 or 5 at a push for the year but anymore than that there is no justification.

Who decides how much is the correct amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Depends on the age/value of the car but at your age, not a chance for sensible money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Nope, the rules of the road traffic act state that insurers cannot provide a quote that is tantamount to declining to quote ie figures like that.
    Link please.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Yep. MK 4 was a tub of lard. Mk 3 was even worse with just 115bhp.
    Nearly bought one in late ‘92 into ‘93 but got sense. Would have been 24 at the time.
    Bought a ‘91 Vectra GSi instead and had no bother getting insurance.
    Around that time I got quoted £7,000 insurance for a Golf VR6 although six months later I could have insured it for £600.
    Went to try a six month old VR6 but decided I much preferred my GSi. Cracking engine.
    Was the 2000 Mkiv GTI not absolutelty brutal? It wasn't until the Mkv came alone that the car regained any credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cheers

Now THATS a first post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Cheers

Honestly, if you haven't bought the car, don't bother cause you are going to pay a serious amount of cash for insurance and will have to jump throw countless hoops and maybe tell a few lies. There's a reason why some cars are conspicuously good 'value' on the used market.

Usually it's cause they are crazy expensive to run ... This can be due to fundamental design flaws, through to high fuel/consumable use, comical unreliably or just fall into a group of vehicles that are hard to tax/insure.... (like you are about to find out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

Its interesting how insurance works as anything with GTI in the name will be loaded.
    What I did over the years was to buy a car that had the same maybe engine and power but without the gti badge.
    Example would be gti is a 2.0 turbo engine yet same engine used in
    Audi a6 2.0 turbo
    Audi a3 2.0 turbo
    With no gti badge.
    There are other makes like those.
    Back in the day a 5 series was only 50quid more than an avensis for some strange reason that only the gods know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

As a follow-up.

If you are a mad petrol head who really wants to go fast. There are actually much more serious performance cars than a Golf GTI that you might stand a decent chance of getting sensible insurance on..... but you will need to do some homework. (In fact I think there might be a thread on this topic on Boards somewhere).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 david_kirwan9

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Going to be extremely tough. Ring everyone. Ring brokers. You will probably get it but it'll be mad dear. Good luck with it, I would have loved a Gti when I was 20.

Exactly, would be nice to have one at my age , id definitely keep it for a good few years

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Who decides how much is the correct amount?

An underwriter, most likely a senior one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I was buying a gt TDI and couldn't get insurance, bought the seat Leon and no problems.....

Link please.

I'm on mobile, will see if I can dig it out, will have to wait til I'm at a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

Also a insurance company's work on statistics so if you buy a fast version of a popular car then they will have more red flags up for that make and model.
    If you can find something fast and not popular with the younglads as such it is possible to fly below the radar so to speak.
    Ugly cars that are fast .
    Unpopular cars that are fast.
    Family man cars that go like clappers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You might find someone prepared to take on that risk O.P. but it'll be horribly expensive. Nobody want s that sort of business on their books.

I'd have been a menace at aged 20 with a quick car.

Link please.

Apologies, I got mixed up with where the rules originated.

Its actually part of the declined cases agreement.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You might find someone prepared to take on that risk O.P. but it'll be horribly expensive. Nobody want s that sort of business on their books.

I'd have been a menace at aged 20 with a quick car.

And yet in some countries it wouldn't be considered a particularly quick car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Apologies, I got mixed up with where the rules originated.

Its actually part of the declined cases agreement.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

Interesting: noticed a line in there I'd never come across before, to wit "Where an individual has held a policy within the previous three years, the insurance company concerned is obliged to provide the individual with a quotation."

I've had a decline to quote from my 'own' insurer for an 06 1.2 Clio, with no reason given.

Full NCB (from them), no points or claims here, so at a loss as to why (other than it's an 06).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

bigroad wrote: »
    Its interesting how insurance works as anything with GTI in the name will be loaded.

+1 the magnetic appeal of the 'GTI' badge to young drivers is in inverse proportion to the willingness of insurance companies to insure them. For good reason.

In some cases, you go one step down in the range and avoid a lot of the the high loading. I had a 2007 VW Golf GT (1.4 TSi) which was 168 bhp and it wasn't loaded half as bad as a GTI.

Advertisement