Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ID please

• 14-03-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi,
    On my way to work last week I saw a pair of large birds, dark coloured and with a grey stripe or marking on the underside of their wings. They were hovering over a field in a fixed pattern and gradually working over the field in one direction.

I don't know much about birds but these were striking, I pulled in the car and watched them for a while, lovely to watch. Any ideas what they were?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hovering?....Kestrel or maybe an Owl of some kind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

fryup wrote: »
    hovering?....Kestrel or maybe an Owl of some kind ?

Think they were bigger than a kestrel. Looking at pics now I think they were buzzards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Buzzards, if the size is right. They can do a good impression of hovering in a headwind.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't know if it's ok to post here or if I should open a separate thread.

Recently I had a cage-trap out for an uninvited four-legged visitor. I found in it a bird about twice or three times as big as a finch but less than half the size of a crow. It was shaped like a ball, big beer belly and feathers an unattractive mousy colour. Was it a young starling?
    Unfortunately I didn't think to photograph it before releasing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

feargale wrote: »
    I don't know if it's ok to post here or if I should open a separate thread.

Recently I had a cage-trap out for an uninvited four-legged visitor. I found in it a bird about twice or three tines as big as a finch but less than half the size of a crow. It was shaped like a ball, big beer belly and feathers an unattractive mousy colour. Was it a young starling?
    Unfortunately I didn't think to photograph it before releasing it.
    possibly a young blackbird or thrush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Could someone identify this fellow please?
    I've looked through the finches, linnets etc and can't find it.
    Distinctive song; usually a pair of notes repeated three times ending with a single note. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

It's a warbler. That's the easy bit, for me. It could be Willow Warbler or Wood Warbler and I'd go for Wood Warbler.

https://www.birdid.no/bird/eBook.php?specieID=1116&compareSpecieID=1473

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Ulmus wrote: »
    It's a warbler. That's the easy bit, for me. It could be Willow Warbler or Wood Warbler and I'd go for Wood Warbler.

Thanks. That's an interesting website.
    I've been thinking it could be a chiff-chaff but need to investigate your warbler suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a good website, haven't seen that one before. Especially the ability to compare two birds side by side like that. Bookmarked!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'm never confident with warblers, given the variety of species and the fact that photos from different angles and in different light levels can be misleading. My instinct is saying Willow Warbler - they tend to be warmer yellows than Chiffchaffs. Wood Warblers are very rare in Ireland - not a diagnostic feature but worth bearing in mind for context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I am leaning towards Willow too, the description of the call made by the poster does not correspond to that of a Chiffchaff either.

Advertisement