Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic Campervan Water

Options
  • 10-03-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Been to EP a few years now and considering hiring a campervan for 2020. One thing I've noticed is that there are no water hookups. How do we get water? Do we have to refill the tank from a bucket or should the on board tank be big enough to last 6 people 4 days?

I've never used a campervan so not sure how it works.

Any reviews from people who've camped here previously of the overall experience would be great too

Thanks,

Orlagh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Petitchoix wrote: »
    Do we have to refill the tank from a bucket or should the on board tank be big enough to last 6 people 4 days?

How big is the tank, and how much water do those six people typically use over a long weekend?

As a rule, people who aren't used to living in a campervan use (waste) a huge amount of water, e.g. letting the tap run while they're brushing their teeth, rinsing water glasses un-necessarily, flushing the toilet because they've thrown a tissue into it.

I take my campervan to six-day festival in the summer, to use as HQ for a group of volunteers, but they're under strict instructions to use the site facilities for washing, toilet, filling their water bottles, etc. With that kind of control, my 120 litres of water - filled up at home - is more than enough for cooking, morning tea/coffee, after-dinner washing up and occasional exceptions to the rules.

To make life easier for the less-experienced, I have two 5-litre bottles that stay in the communal area and can be used by anyone for anything - on the understanding that anyone who empties one refills it at the water point as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

In the event that you are going to use more than a tankful of fresh water over the weekend, you also need to figure out how you're going to deal with it at the "other end".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Check with the hire company but normally the fresh water storage is either a built-in tank or a removable tank. If it's built in you can either drive over to the tap to refill it or fill it up from containers. If it's removable you bring it over to the tap and then fill it up, normally these have wheels or are round so you can move them when full.

Everything you put down the toilet goes into another smaller removable tank, you need to keep a close eye on the level of this as if it's overfilled, removing it for emptying can be interesting... The "facilities" for emptying these are often horrific by the last day of EP, basically a large container in which you empty your waste and the worse it is, the worse other people's aim gets when emptying their containers and the whole facility gets rank.

Everything that goes down your drain normally just goes out a pipe underneath the van, you need to put a container under this and empty it frequently or you could make the area around your van all soggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Alkers wrote: »
    Check with the hire company but normally the fresh water storage is either a built-in tank or a removable tank. If it's built in you can either drive over to the tap to refill it or fill it up from containers. If it's removable you bring it over to the tap and then fill it up, normally these have wheels or are round so you can move them when full.

Everything you put down the toilet goes into another smaller removable tank, you need to keep a close eye on the level of this as if it's overfilled, removing it for emptying can be interesting... The "facilities" for emptying these are often horrific by the last day of EP, basically a large container in which you empty your waste and the worse it is, the worse other people's aim gets when emptying their containers and the whole facility gets rank.

Everything that goes down your drain normally just goes out a pipe underneath the van, you need to put a container under this and empty it frequently or you could make the area around your van all soggy.

For most campers, both freshwater storage and grey/ drainwater storage is in fixed tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Petitchoix wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been to EP a few years now and considering hiring a campervan for 2020. One thing I've noticed is that there are no water hookups. How do we get water? Do we have to refill the tank from a bucket or should the on board tank be big enough to last 6 people 4 days?

I've never used a campervan so not sure how it works.

Any reviews from people who've camped here previously of the overall experience would be great too

Thanks,

Orlagh

Have you priced rental yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Have been EP a few times now and feel a bit cheated by the added 100 euro cost for very very basic facilities for campers- but i wouldn't go unless had the comfort of my motorhome (getting too old):

(a) campers are put furthest away from the main arena - pain
    (b) facilities are very basic - some lighting; very few port-a-loos and tend to be used by nearby Janis Joplin camping - all the loo rolls disappear quickly too; one fresh water tap and two black waste (the nasty stuff)
    (c ) much camping between pitches (most are ok and work alright but others abuse the facility and expand at will to suit themselves with pals and offspring from camping)
    (d) as well as being furthest from centre of action also little nearby food trucks (I know we all fry up etc but a nice coffee or burger served to you now and again would be nice)

Positives - usually great crowd and good vibe; the black waste facilities have improved in recent years and if users observe a little care are usually fine for this dirty task even by Monday morning;

The entrance is a bit dodgy for any inexperienced drivers and worse if weather makes it a quagmire

But hey its otherwise great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Martin_D wrote: »
    Have been EP a few times now and feel a bit cheated by the added 100 euro cost for very very basic facilities for campers- but i wouldn't go unless had the comfort of my motorhome (getting too old):

It's only 100e per vehicle for up to four nights, that's good value as most vans would have 4 people sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Alkers wrote: »
    It's only 100e per vehicle for up to four nights, that's good value as most vans would have 4 people sharing

The question is what do you get for the 100e if you drive you don't get charged for parking your car (correctly)
    if there was improvement on port-a-loos, water points and location - yes then you get value. (some of that cost is for required courier delivery of the parking pass rather than normal post or eticket - why Im not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Martin_D wrote: »
    The question is what do you get for the 100e

You get to distance yourself from the majority of the scumbags and chunderheads (social distancing isn't just for covid you know :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

cannot see EP going ahead this august/sept hope im wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭macscoob

I work at Electric Picnic setting up ALL INFASTRUCTER. There are water points in every camp and campervan site. There is also a waste water tank in each site for you to dispose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gf9876

hello all. ive been goin to the picnic for years and absolutely love it. im still hoping that this year wont be cancelled. we still have time!!!
    anyway this is the first year ive god myself a campervan (getting to old as 1 poster said hahahaha) but ive never had a campervan ticket. does anyone know if you can pay in on arrival or if camper passes might be advertised anywhere?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

gf9876 wrote: »
    does anyone know if you can pay in on arrival or if camper passes might be advertised anywhere?

You can’t pay on arrival but even when sold out, passes can be got easily enough closer to the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Irrespective of where I get my water for the main tank I bring along a few 5l containers of water for drinking, making tea/coffee , even though my camper is relatively new I don't use stored water for anything other than taking a shower, washing up and the toilet, Aldi & Lidl prices are great...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

bogman wrote: »
    Irrespective of where I get my water for the main tank I bring along a few 5l containers of water for drinking, making tea/coffee , even though my camper is relatively new I don't use stored water for anything other than taking a shower, washing up and the toilet, Aldi & Lidl prices are great...

Interesting!
    In 15 years we've always used water from the onboard tank for everything.
    Although we do sometines treat ourselves to bottled water (from the fridge) when we want a refreshing drink.

Advertisement