Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine waste pipe trap

Options
  • 29-03-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

I'm having problems with a smelly waste pipe on a washing machine.
    I noticed there is no trap on the outlet pipe (a roughly 2 foot vertical pipe) Would adding one make any difference to the smell? Either a P-trap or Hepvo?
    I am reasonably certain the issue is not with the washing machine itself - I've cleaned every part of it and checked the filter and there were no issues.
    Or are there there things I can look for that might cause this?

Pic of outlet pipe

Also, can I put a blanking cap on the hot water pipe? I believe all washing machines now just use cold water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

fjon wrote: »
    Also, can I put a blanking cap on the hot water pipe? I don't believe all washing machines now just use cold water?

Yes you can but it won't make any difference, it's set to off by the looks of it as it's at a different setting (90 degrees difference) to the tap on the cold feed. Unless there's water leaking from it, leave it alone.

What's that vertical piece at the top of the outlet pipe for - the bit sticking up from the 'T' junction beside the socket? It looks to me like some waste water could be getting trapped in that section and causing the smell. Can you change that 'T' junction to a right angle (elbow) bend?

u64706_image_base.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes you can but it won't make any difference, it's set to off by the looks of it as it's at a different setting (90 degrees difference) to the tap on the cold feed. Unless there's water leaking from it, leave it alone.
    No, I just wanted to do it as there's a really long tube coming from it that is kind of in the way. It was more for the sake of tidiness rather than anything to do with the smell. However, it's not leaking so I guess I'll leave it alone and tuck the tube away somewhere.
    What's that vertical piece at the top of the outlet pipe for - the bit sticking up from the 'T' junction beside the socket? It looks to me like some waste water could be getting trapped in that section and causing the smell. Can you change that 'T' junction to a right angle (elbow) bend?

u64706_image_base.jpg

There's another smaller pipe coming in there. The boiler is directly above it - would that have an outlet pipe? I don't really know where it could be coming from otherwise.
    Would it help if I tried to push the washing machine outlet pipe (it's flexible) further down the vertical pipe so that it's below the T junction?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There are height limits with this pipe. If its too low it'll syphon the washing machine dry.

Modern boilers will have a condensate pipe and that's most likely what it is.

Look up your washing machine manual. that'll tell you the plumbing requirements.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's another smaller pipe coming in there. The boiler is directly above it - would that have an outlet pipe? I don't really know where it could be coming from otherwise.
    Would it help if I tried to push the washing machine outlet pipe (it's flexible) further down the vertical pipe so that it's below the T junction?

I assume the washine machine is to the left since that's where the water pipes are going. The waste pipe (coming from the left) has an 'up' elbow and then another 'up' from the T junction to the outside. Which means there's major scope for waste water to get trapped and cause the smell. Especially when there is an open pipe at the top in your picture.....

That pipe section above the T junction has nothing connected to it so why is it there? Why don't you replace the T junction with an elbow? Where is the boiler connected to that system? A boiler doesn't have a waste water pipe.

Wearb wrote: »
    There are height limits with this pipe. If its too low it'll syphon the washing machine dry.

Modern boilers will have a condensate pipe and that's most likely what it is.

Look up your washing machine manual. that'll tell you the plumbing requirements.

Yep, managed to follow the little pipe up and it's definitely from the boiler.
    The manual is almost useless in this and doesn't mention a vertical drainpipe.

• Advertisement

Yep, managed to follow the little pipe up and it's definitely from the boiler.
    The manual is almost useless in this and doesn't mention a vertical drainpipe.
    look up manuals from a couple of different makers. you'll find one that does give this info.

I assume the washine machine is to the left since that's where the water pipes are going. The waste pipe (coming from the left) has an 'up' elbow and then another 'up' from the T junction to the outside. Which means there's major scope for waste water to get trapped and cause the smell. Especially when there is an open pipe at the top in your picture.....

That pipe section above the T junction has nothing connected to it so why is it there? Why don't you replace the T junction with an elbow? Where is the boiler connected to that system? A boiler doesn't have a waste water pipe.

No, sorry I didn't explain the layout correctly. This cubbyhole is where the washing machine usually sits. The horizontal pipe at the bottom goes off to the drain/ sewer outside (or wherever the waste water goes). The slimmer pipe inside the wall that comes off the T junction goes up to the boiler above. The waste water pipe from the washing machine goes inside the top of the vertical pipe (it just sits in there like this).

No, sorry I didn't explain the layout correctly. This cubbyhole is where the washing machine usually sits. The horizontal pipe at the bottom goes off to the drain/ sewer outside (or wherever the waste water goes). The slimmer pipe inside the wall that comes off the T junction goes up to the boiler above. The waste water pipe from the washing machine goes inside the top of the vertical pipe (it just sits in there like this).
    You have the dimensions in that link above.

Wearb wrote: »
    You have the dimensions in that link above.

Yes, found that just after your post! I was just wondering if the pipe coming in from the boiler perhaps meant I needed it to push the pipe down further.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I actually thought this was a joke when you were describing things backwards and taking about water flowing vertically :D

OP, I wouldn’t agree either with the earlier advice from coyle. Do cap off that hot valve and you can do away with a useless Grey WM pipe if it’s just sitting loose. It’s also safer should that valve ever fail or someone inadvertently knock the lever on.

Also, is the smell there constantly or only when machine is running, a toilet is flushed etc.?

One thing to make sure is the WM waste pipe is not pushed too far down the exit waste pipe as that can cause siphoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There is a special trap for this purpose, i do not know the part name.
    I seen one a few weeks ago and it is special for this purpose.
    I expect any good plumbing shop have it in stock.
    It was dishwasher but the same thing.

dathi wrote: »

I don't think you can seal it like that. Nothing to break the syphon effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Idioteque wrote: »

OP, I wouldn’t agree either with the earlier advice from coyle. Do cap off that hot valve and you can do away with a useless Grey WM pipe if it’s just sitting loose. It’s also safer should that valve ever fail or someone inadvertently knock the lever on.

Great, I'll get a cap for it then. Yeah, the grey hose coming out of it is just getting in way and isn't connected to anything. I hate to think what would happen if it accidentally fails while the washing machine is in place - I wouldn't know about it until the whole floor is covered in water.

Also, is the smell there constantly or only when machine is running, a toilet is flushed etc.?

Not constantly, no. Only when the machine is running. I am wondering if it could be caused by having the boiler (heating) on and the WM running at the same time? I'll try running it with the heating off and see if that makes a difference.

That looks similar to the Hepvo I had initially been recommended in Chadwicks. Looking at the picture in my original post, where would I install it?

1. Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

That looks similar to the Hepvo I had initially been recommended in Chadwicks. Looking at the picture in my original post, where would I install it?

It just goes on the end of whats there already.
      I do not have one but friend with same problem fitted and it worked.
      I did not see the original picture,i don't think its there now.

2. Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I actually thought this was a joke when you were describing things backwards and taking about water flowing vertically :D

It's not impossible, the washing machine pumps out the waste water, it doesnt fall out by gravity i.e. it can go uphill.

But I thought that the pipe on the left was the outlet from the washing machine on the other side of that wall when in fact it's the waste outlet to the drain. I didn't realise that the OP had removed the washing machine waste hose from the photo and that it went into the top of that vertical pipe.

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

It just goes on the end of whats there already.
      I do not have one but friend with same problem fitted and it worked.
      I did not see the original picture,i don't think its there now.

Thanks! The pic is still there, you need to click on my link to see it though.

Advertisement