Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleas but NO PETS

Options
  • 25-03-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    First of all I'm not sure if this is posted in the right area , so admin please feel free to move it if its in the wrong place.

OK, we have NO pets at all. Never had any pets.We're living in the same place for 3 and half years. I'm convinced we have fleas.
    Two weeks ago one of the kids complained of 2 itchy spots he had along the waist line, I thought it was the onset of chicken pox. But he didn't get anymore. Then about 5 days later I had some around my ankles. And now we're all getting them on and off. Mostly around the ankles, lower legs , the odd time on the arm.
    I haven't seen anything. I've washed all the bed linen, been hoovering all the rooms and chairs and beds/mattresses every day for the past three days. We've been washing our bodies with tree tea shampoo and rubbing the shampoo into our limbs before going to bed. My toddler was the only one last night who didn't have a shower before bed but I rubbed tea tree shampoo (as I've no oil) into his feet, legs and arms, he was the only one that had the red spots this morning and they were on his thighs and buttocks where nothing was rubbed in. Now it was a while before I noticed them so I'm not sure if they happened over night or sometime after breakfast.
    Please please tell me how I can get rid of them . especially as I haven't seen any. I've no idea how they even got into the house. I just feel like crying all the time especially as I know it may get worse when more hatch.
    We're also isolating ourselves so anything I get will be ordered online.

Any advice and help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Have you examined bed bug info online? Is it happening a night?
    You really need a accurate diagnoses before you can address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I dont think fleas behave in the manner your describing of only biting at night.

Bed Bugs is a possiblity, you need to do an inspection of the mattresses including all crevices around the mattresses and beds. They crawl back into hiding in these crevices.

There is loads of advice online on how and where to look for them , do all those checks and either rule them out or confirm it.

There is loads of talk of people bringing these back from holidays and hotel breaks abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

From what I've read and looked at, the spots are exactly like flea bites and not bed bugs. Also bed bugs seem to be more on the torso and rapidly all over, ours are mostly on the feet and legs.
    We haven't had anyone stay with us and its been two years since any of us has slept away from the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Are they playing out more in grass?

tk123 wrote: »
    Are they playing out more in grass?

Since school closed on the 13th they've been playing out our small back garden. The first bites/marks/spots were noticed earlier that week before school closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Could it be scabies? Easily treatable with over the counter with over the counter treatments. They tend to cause flushes of rash that are more prevalent at night.

Could it be scabies? Easily treatable with over the counter with over the counter treatments. They tend to cause flushes of rash that are more prevalent at night.

I won't rule anything out, but from an incidence of scabies I had when I was a teen, these are not like what I had then.
    Back then what I had was more like a load of little clusters of lumps but coming from under the skin.

I'll see if I can upload a pic of it

Yesterday we were all free from any marks/spots/bites much to my delight!! This morning though my youngest had 3 along his nappy line, I had about 4 along my neck/shoulder. This was the only area of by body (other than face and hands) that was exposed. (pic attached)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It is possible that a cat visiting your garden dropped fleas which have been picked up, but fleas don’t really like human blood.

If the bites are happening at night and are in a line then I would be more inclined to say you have bed bugs. There’s no harm in checking for them at least.

Actually my neighbour's cat was there a few weeks ago. He's an indoor cat, they usually let him out their back garden and he doesn't go anywhere else except for that one time he made his way into my garden. They just has a new baby at the time so I imagine they'd be keeping an eye on things like that?

I really think its either of the two, bed bugs or fleas.
    Again my youngest was the only one with marks this morning. 2-3 along the nappy line again. He's in my bed with me, I have none. This would get me thinking bed bugs. Last night though when I was getting him ready for bed in my room (around 8pm) I noticed two near his wrist. I'm not 100% certain that this happened when he was in my room or when he was in the living room. This would steer me away from thinking bed bugs as it happened during late evening , all lights on, and possibly in the living room.

I've ordered a few cans of rentokil insectrol so until they arrive I'm afraid to look for them as I've nothing yet to treat them with. I would prefer to know what I'm dealing with first though.

• Advertisement

I was bitten twice last summer.. now I've been bitten before in the summer but not like this and never had a reaction. The bigger one I ended up in urgent care for (me who is never sick and never goes to the doctor lol), second one I went to GP as I woke up with it and they were open. That bite was on my hand but my whole arm was swollen with marks on it - the doctor was saying when you're lying down/asleep the histamine will track so it can look a lot worse than it is.

If you can get it Avon Skin so Soft is a great unofficial repellant for bitey things - eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avon-Skin-Soft-Original-Spray/dp/B00N2R43I8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27MLEMXGJL1D1&dchild=1&keywords=avon+skin+so+soft+original+dry+oil+body+spray&qid=1585392191&sprefix=Avon+ski%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-3 (you'll have to use parcel wizard etc)

I was bitten twice last summer.. now I've been bitten before in the summer but not like this and never had a reaction. The bigger one I ended up in urgent care for (me who is never sick and never goes to the doctor lol), second one I went to GP as I woke up with it and they were open. That bite was on my hand but my whole arm was swollen with marks on it - the doctor was saying when you're lying down/asleep the histamine will track so it can look a lot worse than it is.

Was this from a flea bite?

shashaela wrote: »
    Was this from a flea bite?

One was (allegedly) from a spider - the doctor was from South Africa so I took his word for it! The other was I assume from something I picked up in the grass in the park.

One was (allegedly) from a spider - the doctor was from South Africa so I took his word for it! The other was I assume from something I picked up in the grass in the park.

Oh no a spider bite !!!:eek:

I can't deal with spiders. I have an awful fear of them.

My oldest kid just came into my bedroom, he had been in the living room for a while playing his console, I was cleaning his ears, noticed his neck was red, he said he had been scratching it a few seconds earlier, I looked at it and it looks like he has 3 marks/spots/bites.

So I've no idea if it happened there and then in my room or few minutes earlier in the living room. And still none the wiser to what I'm dealing with. I just know I've had enough.
    My insectrol won't arrive until next week.
    I had a pile of clean laundry in my room that I just never got to put away (clean bed sheets, school uniforms etc. ) , as I've no dryer now it looks like I may have to wash them all again incase whatever it is is living in them or eggs are there. I just feel like crying. And we haven't been out anywhere since the schools closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

My oldest kid just came into my bedroom, he had been in the living room for a while playing his console, I was cleaning his ears, noticed his neck was red, he said he had been scratching it a few seconds earlier, I looked at it and it looks like he has 3 marks/spots/bites ...
    Hi. If it's cat fleas... try this:
    One room at a time close the door, keep everyone out of it for 10 or 15 mins. Then put on white socks, tuck trousers in to the socks. Walk around the room and if there are fleas in the carpet they will jump onto your socks. You'll clearly see them. The vibration of walking alerts them and they hope you are a passing cat.

You can try the same trick on couches or beds with white socks on your hands and pat the cushions or duvets, etc.

Indorex from a vet is excellent for treating carpets, furnishings, etc.
    This couldn't happen at a worse time for you with schools and everything else closed, but I think some vets have to be open...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had the same issue but knew a friend had stayed here who got a call from his brother to say that they had fleas in their house at the time. So clearly they hopped into his suitcase and into my home.

I got some diamataceous (sp.?) earth from Amazon and sprinkled it on mattresses and carpets. Washed all the bedding at high temperatures and it worked. Was so relieved as I'd been going out of my mind with the randomly appearing bites.

Well, I'm not sure if this is an update or not on my problem, or a coincidence, which could mean maybe I've got two different problems going on!!!

In my bathroom last night I found a little insect/bug. I squashed it and got rid of it. Today, while I was sitting on the bed reading, I found another one. So I got a better look at this one before I squashed it.

After looking at images on the net, this looks nothing like a bed bug or a flea. The closest thing I coukd find it looked like was a carpet beetle!!!

I'm not even sure if these exist in ireland. I'm not saying that's where our marks and bites are coming from , but I think I'd be happier if they were and I didn't have fleas or bed bugs.

So maybe its just a coincidence I found two of these and perhaps it could still be a bedbug/flea problem..?!??

It was like a tiny ladybird, but black with yellow dots or stripes on the back. If anyone has ever encountered these before I'd be happy to hear about it.

Well, I'm not sure if this is an update or not on my problem, or a coincidence, which could mean maybe I've got two different problems going on!!!

In my bathroom last night I found a little insect/bug. I squashed it and got rid of it. Today, while I was sitting on the bed reading, I found another one. So I got a better look at this one before I squashed it.

After looking at images on the net, this looks nothing like a bed bug or a flea. The closest thing I coukd find it looked like was a carpet beetle!!!

I'm not even sure if these exist in ireland. I'm not saying that's where our marks and bites are coming from , but I think I'd be happier if they were and I didn't have fleas or bed bugs.

So maybe its just a coincidence I found two of these and perhaps it could still be a bedbug/flea problem..?!??

It was like a tiny ladybird, but black with yellow dots or stripes on the back. If anyone has ever encountered these before I'd be happy to hear about it.
    Carpet beetles indeed look like tiny ladybirds and as far as I know they do not bite. But the larvae of the carpet beetle are covered in bristles which can pierce the skin and cause an irritation and possibly a rash.
    Another thought... any new carpets or rugs in the house lately? Or have you brought in a rug you had stored in a shed or garage (where a stray cat might have been sleeping)?

Rancid wrote: »
    Carpet beetles indeed look like tiny ladybirds and as far as I know they do not bite. But the larvae of the carpet beetle are covered in bristles which can pierce the skin and cause an irritation and possibly a rash.
    Another thought... any new carpets or rugs in the house lately? Or have you brought in a rug you had stored in a shed or garage (where a stray cat might have been sleeping)?

No new carpets or rugs. New carpet would be great , or indeed no carpet at all, we're in a rental , and the carpet is pretty ancient, its well worn!!

Do you know much about these little guys?? I was reading something earlier that said they're about the size of a pin head, but the two I found were about half the size of a sweetcorn. Definetely bigger than a pin head!!

No new carpets or rugs. New carpet would be great , or indeed no carpet at all, we're in a rental , and the carpet is pretty ancient, its well worn!!

Do you know much about these little guys?? I was reading something earlier that said they're about the size of a pin head, but the two I found were about half the size of a sweetcorn. Definetely bigger than a pin head!!
    No direct experience of carpet beetles (unlike cat fleas, plenty of experience there!) but your description of size seems correct. It's the larvae that do damage to carpets, rugs and lots of other furnishings. They could have been in the carpet when you moved in.

• Advertisement

We're here 3 years. I'm certain there is a spot in the living room carpet that is a bit baldy alright. I think its under one of the chairs or sofa. I always just thought it was probably from the wheels of the chair but I guess now there's a better explanation for it!!!

I've spent the last few days reading up on fleas and bedbugs , and now I'll have to study carpet beetles!! I will be relieved if they are solely the problem and not the other crawling guys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

To test for fleas put thin A4 copy paper randomly on the bed/floor etc and dim the lights - you can hear the thunk of them onto the paper. See them also. I felt sorry for a dog that was left out at night on the street and brought him in a few times and yup, ended up with fleas. Hope you find a solution soon.
    But carpet beetles could be the cause? These insects don't bite humans, but they can cause a bumpy, itchy, rash that is sometimes mistaken for bed bug bites. This is due to prolonged contact with the hair fibers on the body of carpet beetle larvae. Airborne fibers from carpet beetles can also cause respiratory tract and eye irritation.Jan 27, 2016

Just an update : confirmed sightings of carpet beetles and larvae/pupa. Big sigh of relief!!! Thank you all for your replies , help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

Hi,
    First of all I'm not sure if this is posted in the right area , so admin please feel free to move it if its in the wrong place.

OK, we have NO pets at all. Never had any pets.We're living in the same place for 3 and half years. I'm convinced we have fleas.
    Two weeks ago one of the kids complained of 2 itchy spots he had along the waist line, I thought it was the onset of chicken pox. But he didn't get anymore. Then about 5 days later I had some around my ankles. And now we're all getting them on and off. Mostly around the ankles, lower legs , the odd time on the arm.
    I haven't seen anything. I've washed all the bed linen, been hoovering all the rooms and chairs and beds/mattresses every day for the past three days. We've been washing our bodies with tree tea shampoo and rubbing the shampoo into our limbs before going to bed. My toddler was the only one last night who didn't have a shower before bed but I rubbed tea tree shampoo (as I've no oil) into his feet, legs and arms, he was the only one that had the red spots this morning and they were on his thighs and buttocks where nothing was rubbed in. Now it was a while before I noticed them so I'm not sure if they happened over night or sometime after breakfast.
    Please please tell me how I can get rid of them . especially as I haven't seen any. I've no idea how they even got into the house. I just feel like crying all the time especially as I know it may get worse when more hatch.
    We're also isolating ourselves so anything I get will be ordered online.

Any advice and help please

Have you bought any 2nd hand furniture in the past year? Did the people that lived there before you have pets? Flea eggs can lay dormant for over a year if there is no movement or heat and one flea can lay up to 400 eggs so numbers multiply quickly. I recommend getting a can of RIP house spray and spraying all carpets, furnishings, wooden floors and windowsills.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

redroisin wrote: »
    Have you bought any 2nd hand furniture in the past year? Did the people that lived there before you have pets? Flea eggs can lay dormant for over a year if there is no movement or heat and one flea can lay up to 400 eggs so numbers multiply quickly. I recommend getting a can of RIP house spray and spraying all carpets, furnishings, wooden floors and windowsills.
    Have you read the thread, notably the post before yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

I know cock roaches bite, and will do so at night while humans sleep so not surprised it may be a beetle. Try googling the one you saw to find out if that's the culprit and what to do to get rid of them. All the best.

Advertisement