Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever crash, should I go through insurance or not?

Options
  • 16-03-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hi,

Had my first ever crash yesterday. I wasn't paying attention as I exited a garage and rear ended a car. Some damage done to both cars. Not sure of what mine will cost but I'll need a new headlamp and some body work and the other car got a quote of €700. They have offered me the option of paying for it and avoiding the insurance company but I'm unsure what to do.
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s a tough call because nothing to stop them still lodging a claim against your insurance for personal injury, they have 2 years to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Notify your insurer and then get a quote for the repairs to your car.

At least then you’ll know if you can afford the upfront cost of paying it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

yes I notified my insurance this morning. How does it work if I pay for his car to be repaired then in 12 months he opens a claim but I have a receipt for the work done?
    Anyone have an idea how much the average jump in a premium is after a claim goes on the policy?
    thanks for the replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Given how common injuries resulting in compensation have gotten, I’d be inclined to go through insurance, get both cars repaired and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

tjc28 wrote: »
    yes I notified my insurance this morning. How does it work if I pay for his car to be repaired then in 12 months he opens a claim but I have a receipt for the work done?
    Anyone have an idea how much the average jump in a premium is after a claim goes on the policy?
    thanks for the replies so far.

The statute of limitations (the time a person has to make a claim) is two years. You could pay for the repairs then in 23 months the other party could decide to make a personal injury claim. Its a personal choice but if it were me I would let my insurer handle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Is your NCB fully protected ?

Advertisement