Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IoT trends, predictions for 2019?

Options
  • 07-01-2019 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello everyone,,,,
    What is the potential value of the Internet of Things?

The Internet of Things (IoT) will continue to expand next year and reveal new ways of interacting with customers. Retail and supply chain industries will likely see the greatest growth as compared to 2018 (indoor navigation, smart barcodes, cashierless supermarkets, etc.) In certain countries including North America, China, and Japan, the impact will be even greater.

IoT will get the best results with Bluetooth 5.0 and beacons

With Bluetooth 5.0, indoor navigation is possible in areas such as shopping malls. Some already offer this service, but Bluetooth 5 with tracking will add more precision. BT 5.0 opens up a whole range of new possibilities for IoT development projects. It continues to drive how people experience the Internet of Things with simple and secure connectivity.

Cashierless Checkout

Cashierless supermarkets are gaining in popularity since Amazon invented “just walk out” technology. We see how retail is being affected by the power of IoT to connect customers and stores. Automated cashierless checkouts make customers happier and more willing to enter a store because it saves time. This is good for the store too, as this technology helps to reduce cashier staff requirement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

No not buying into it, but I'm a tinfoil hat person so maybe it's just me. There have been to many data breaches, to many case were customer data is leaked. I don't agree with companies send me messages to come to their shop bust because I have my BlueTooth on. Same with cashless payments, I use my bank card everywhere not my phone. What if I don't get to charge it and it dies. Only happens once a year but it would be a pain.

I see more in the home and in more homes, and app to control your TV, DVD, lighting heating..... but not in the wild, volvo cars have in build wifi and connect to diagnostic when it drives on the fore court. What I drive by or just call in to look at a new car. I don't want my entire GPS down loaded. I've nothing to hide I'm just sick of having to check "have i been pwned" what if somebody fakes the SSID of their neared Volvo dealer and decides to mess with my car (if I had one).

Personally I think it's very over hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Advantech

Hi everyone,

In my role I look after industrial IoT throughout Ireland. The term IoT for the industrial industry can be best visualised as a bridge between IT and OT departments within a company. Looking at edge of network intelligence (so that's sensors on machines (digital or analogue) connected to local PC's and cloud programs) which allows for actions and / or reporting in the data.

Looking at the statistical analysis of current and future trends then right now is a good time for industrial IoT deployments.
    AI IoT is the next step, by 2030 the industrial market will be working in an AI IoT world, there are already some companies with some very interesting AI programs for the industrial market.
    There's a few different meanings as to what AI means, we aren't talking about walking & talking robots like in I, Robot with Will Smith (although that would be interesting )... it's rather self learning analytics and machine learning etc.

James

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

This is not a place for advertising your business thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement