Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird I. D.

• 08-03-2020 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I was walking down by the Liffey in Waterstown Park (Palmerstown) and spotted this guy in the trees sitting over the river at 9.30am this morning.

Any idea what it is?

About the size of a crow if not a little bigger.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,231 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Looks like a rook to me

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I thought rook too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it not a cormorant? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

DBB wrote: »

As I stood there googling I thought it was a Cormorant but I thought I'd ask here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DBB wrote: »

I was see sawing between the two as the pic is a bit blurry but the lack of a long neck made me think rook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I go with Cormorant

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was see sawing between the two as the pic is a bit blurry but the lack of a long neck made me think rook.

I think it's the angle of the shot and the way the bird is sitting, but he's got his neck folded up, as they do! The long, narrow bill, the white area on the face, the plumage, the general shape, is all cormorant to my eye at least :o
    The photo is blurry though!

Cormorants have webbed feet - doubt one would be able to perch on a branch: Rook

Cormorants routinely perch in trees, on navigation structures, railings etc!
    Cormorants living inland even nest in trees :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, if you rotate the picture by 90 degrees and crop and zoom it you can see it's a cormorant.

• Advertisement

Hangs head and learns not to assume...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Apologies for the really bad photo but I only had an old phone camera with me and I had to zoom it all the way in (8xzoom).

Thanks for all the help. I think the consensus is Cormorant but there is a Rook rebellion on the horizon. Ha ha ha.

Hangs head and learns not to assume...

:o Ah no, it's a fair enough assumption to make, and even though they regularly do it, they're not exactly elegant when they do! :)

Advertisement