Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody know what type of bird this is? ��

Options
  • 22-02-2020 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I was in Southampton with Mrs. Rock and I was feeding unsalted mixed nuts and raisins to all the feathered friends.

They were extremely tame and were sitting on and eating from my hand. Thankfully there were no pesky seagulls! :)

This green fella came along and he too ate from my hand. He was extremely tame. There was four of them in total and all of them perched themselves on me.

He looks unusual and exotic to be a native bird to Britain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a ring necked parakeet, not native, but extremely common all over SE England. Nobody really knows where the original breeding pairs actually came from, there are lots of theories some believable, others less so. They can be seen roosting in large numbers in some parts of London, especially where there are lots of tall trees such as poplar.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

It’s an Indian ring necked parakeet, there are feral populations all over London since the eighties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

It's a wonderful park for wildlife. They have tame squirrels too. The squirrels also accepted nuts from my hand.

I hope I wasn't doing more harm than good interfering with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

They also have pelicans! I was very surprised to see them too.

I saw a man offering "food" and poured the contents of a pack of Doritos into his beak. I said nothing to avoid confrontation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

They’re in all the parks and they make such a racket, noisy yokes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

There were a few sightings of parakeets in north Dublin over the last few months so we may have them all over here in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I was in Southampton with Mrs. Rock and I was feeding unsalted mixed nuts and raisins to all the feathered friends.

They were extremely tame and were sitting on and eating from my hand. Thankfully there were no pesky seagulls! :)

This green fella came along and he too ate from my hand. He was extremely tame. There was four of them in total and all of them perched themselves on me.

He looks unusual and exotic to be a native bird to Britain.

Stuffed,,,,, sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Read an article recently where it said that apparently Jimmy Hendrix bought these birds and set them free in a London park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭piplip87

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/06/the-great-green-expansion-how-ring-necked-parakeets-took-over-london

Here's an article that describes some of the theories about the introduction featuring Jimi Hendrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SamSpade

They are fairly widespread now - not just the south of England. I've seen them in Paris, Barcelona, Brussels and most recently, Leiden in the Netherlands. I think they're simply escaped pets, which have adapted well to north Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement