Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WARNING FOR CYCLISTS IN DUBLIN ALONG THE CANAL

• 19-12-2019 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey folks,
    Just another warning for cyclists...

My boyfriend was cycling home along the canal that goes to Clondalkin, in the section of the canal between Black Horse and Kylemore road, where the middle gate is, he's been attacked by a group of 4/5 kids 12-15 years old with an iron bar.

They jumped on him, threw the iron bar in the back wheel, beat him with the bar, punched him, asked for money, phone, bank card.

Please spare me the "it's stupid to go on the canal in winter", I know.
    Just be careful people.

The Gardai has been alerted.

Sab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I don't think it's stupid to go along the canal in winter. I do it myself.

Hope he's ok. Thanks for the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sabrina.t

Thanks Mad Benny!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Moved to Dublin County West, I think this is best place for it. @Mods, please move if you think inappropriate here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sabrina.t wrote: »
    Hey folks,

My boyfriend was cycling home along the canal that goes to Clondalkin, in the section of the canal between Black Horse and Kylemore road, where the middle gate is, he's been attacked by a group of 4/5 kids 12-15 years old with an iron bar.

They jumped on him, threw the iron bar in the back wheel, beat him with the bar, punched him, asked for money, phone, bank card.

Just be careful people.

Sab.

Its a real shame that this canal route can't be trusted. There is a thread in the cycling forum also.

Hope your other half recovers .

Thank you, I didn't know where to post honestly, that sounds like a better place for this post.

Yeah it's a real shame, it's happening a lot recently in that exact spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Catch 21. This could be a very decent commuting route from West Dublin into Dublin City if it were busy during commuting times, but unfortunately very few people cycle it. Because of these anti-social problems. And now probably even fewer do.

And never a guard to be seen anywhere near the canal. I regularly cycle it myself, but only leisurely and between the Adamstown and Clondalkin locks. More than a few times have I seen groups of anti social looking youths about, but fortunately haven't been attacked myself yet

I've been cycling down there myself during the summer but even if there were groups of young people trying to slap me on the helmet or scare me, during the summer it's a different story.

I really hope nothing will happen to you Unkel!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Gosh that must have been a scary experience!

Hope he’s ok.

Thank you _Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The canal itself presents an obvious solution, if it weren’t for the cost of dredging it after...

• Advertisement

Yeah :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

sabrina.t wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just be careful people.

Sab.

Really sorry to hear this, isn't it horrible that we are moving in to 2020 and this type of crime is aloud to happen to a taxpayer going about there normal business.
    I wish your other half a speedy recovery.

I fully agree tallaghtfornia, these things shouldn't happen.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

What is wrong with the Gardai. Is it too much to expect that a plain clothes garda with backup nearby patrol this until they catch these thugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think this has been going on for a couple of weeks. I saw on Twitter or Facebook the Dublin cycling campaign was recommending that cyclists should stop at every gate or junction and wait for a group of four or five to build up before moving on. Safety in numbers.

Kind of mad though that people know about it but the Gardai don't seem to be doing anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

phelant wrote: »
    What is wrong with the Gardai. Is it too much to expect that a plain clothes garda with backup nearby patrol this until they catch these thugs.

It would be great to see Gardai on bikes cycling along the canals

I live nearby and the Garda know full well what's going on down there. Too lazy to do anything about it. Useless shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 GeetarPick

I live nearby and the Garda know full well what's going on down there. Too lazy to do anything about it. Useless shower.

Too busy walking around shopping centre car parks.

Most of these scrotes congregate at Blackhorse and patrol up and down that stretch looking to intimidate people.

What are the consequences of defending yourself in these situations?

• Advertisement

GeetarPick wrote: »
    What are the consequences of defending yourself in these situations?

More than likely wouldn't end well for yourself. Most of them would be considered minors and if gave them a beating you can be sure it's you that will be made to pay. It's the Garda's job to sort this out.

More than likely wouldn't end well for yourself. Most of them would be considered minors and if gave them a beating you can be sure it's you that will be made to pay. It's the Garda's job to sort this out.

No wonder they walk around with impunity with a useless bunch such the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Irish Times had two pieces on the Grand Canal following the attacks.

On the attacks:
    Gardare conducting “high visibility beats” along the Grand Canal in west Dublin following a recent spate of attacks on cyclists.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-conducting-grand-canal-patrols-after-attacks-on-cyclists-1.4118613

Ongoing budgeting issues with the local Council due to the chronic vandalism of lighting/CCTV/poles:
    Grand Canal CCTV cameras to be reinstated following attacks on cyclists.
    Cameras had been repeatedly vandalised and are at risk of further damage, says council.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/grand-canal-cctv-cameras-to-be-reinstated-following-attacks-on-cyclists-1.4121543

Hopefully that might alleviate some of the problems. This is exactly why we can't have nice things in this country. Absolute vermin ruin it for everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

There’s already a thread regarding this area.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057903085/1

Advertisement