Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prohibition by Stealth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

No.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

No more dricks!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

No.

Have you been paying attention for the last few months? There is no rational reason for the pub rules...none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Another one for the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭francois

https://extra.ie/2020/09/06/news/irish-news/politicians-covid-prohibition-stealth

Is covid being used by some to craft the nation into a drick free zone? I think so. Powers coming in now will never be fully released.

Leave dricko out of this manufactured outrage

• Advertisement

Pubs just the start...covid opression is ramping up

nobody likes knicker drinking at home alone

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

https://extra.ie/2020/09/06/news/irish-news/politicians-covid-prohibition-stealth

Is covid being used by some to craft the nation into a drick free zone? I think so. Powers coming in now will never be fully released.

I think you have probably had enough dricks at this stage, prohibition won't do you any harm whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No more dricks!!!

I'm sorry, the bar is closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I find pub owners, the Vintners and idiot TD's far more alarmist over "attacking d'rural pubs" etc etc than some people are over covid.

Here's a message to T.D McManamara..."go fcuk yourself". Sincerely, SFP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The dail voted unanimously in favour of minimum alcohol unit pricing.
    Including Michael mcNamara. How was that not prohibition by stealth Michael?
    This is just attention grabbing bnadwagon jumping.
    Clever but shameless policticking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Have you been paying attention for the last few months? There is no rational reason for the pub rules...none.

The reason for pub rules is because there are people like you.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No more dricks!!!

Actually it's.

No! More dricks.

I find pub owners, the Vintners and idiot TD's far more alarmist over "attacking d'rural pubs" etc etc than some people are over covid.

Here's a message to T.D McManamara..."go fcuk yourself". Sincerely, SFP.

Nah, nothing tops the covid hysteria. We've shown the nation will swallow anything.

The reason for pub rules is because there are people like you.

Nah, it is to please the gullible about covid

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

A man walked into a bar and asked for a drick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

nobody likes knicker drinking at home alone

Love a bit of knicker drinking. Nice and frothy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Moved to Conspiracy Theories, local charter now applies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is just attention grabbing bnadwagon jumping.
    Clever but shameless policticking.

McNamara was not a TD at the time. He lost his seat (for Labour) in 2016 and got re-elected (as an Independent) in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Nah, nothing tops the covid hysteria. We've shown the nation will swallow anything.

Covid has shown society there is a layer of morons who can't understand that a virus spreads

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Covid has shown society there is a layer of morons who can't understand that a virus spreads

Nobody is saying not to take precautions ...Sweden is the model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nobody is saying not to take precautions ...Sweden is the model

Sweden has a population that are, by and large, socially responsible. We get pissed and dance on telephone boxes singing "yay it's all over" as soon as the government caves to the vintners.

We suffer from acute 'ashuryehavta'. Swedes don't.

endacl wrote: »
    Sweden has a population that are, by and large, socially responsible. We get pissed and dance on telephone boxes singing "yay it's all over" as soon as the government caves to the vintners.

We suffer from acute 'ashuryehavta'. Swedes don't.

speak for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"Coronavirus cases rising, looks like we might have to keep pubs closed"

"Why?"

"Part of our secret prohibition plan, we must smite those evil pubs and all the jobs they create once and for all"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

Irish politians are conspiracy theorists lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just some detail about Michael McNamara TD and Minimum Unit Pricing.

He supported MUP as long ago as 2012

https://clarechampion.ie/shortalls-recommendations-provoke-mixed-reactions/

He was a member of the Health Committee which proposed MUP in 2015.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/press-centre/press-releases/20150622-new-alcohol-legislation-must-include-provision-for-robust-labelling-and-code-of-conduct-health-committee/

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Is covid being used by some to craft the nation into a drink free zone? I think so. Powers coming in now will never be fully released.

Indeed! Cause it worked out so well for the Yanks in the early part of the last century!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Indeed! Cause it worked out so well for the Yanks in the early part of the last century!

They are back and this time they are smarter.

Neo-prohibitionism is the name of the game.

https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/neo-prohibitionists-in-the-u-s-discover-their-goals-methods/

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

elperello wrote: »
    They are back and this time they are smarter.

Neo-prohibitionism is the name of the game.

https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/neo-prohibitionists-in-the-u-s-discover-their-goals-methods/

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES! BUT THEY WILL NEVER. TAKE. OUR POITIIINNN!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Soooooo. is the opening of the pubs on the 21st the next phase of the prohibition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,130 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Soooooo. is the opening of the pubs on the 21st the next phase of the prohibition?

Yes, in a cunning plan they are going to open them but wreck them with restrictions... people who had been looking at shut pubs like a kid at a toy shop window on December 8th will flock back to the pubs only to find them ruined.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

hows this working out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

hows this working out

Looking at the contents of trolleys coming out of the supermarkets not very well, if anything it has increased sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

odyssey06 wrote: »

That was never enforced though? I can still get a can in Aldi for 89c.

And what's the deal with the Cowboy Saloon type swing doors installed in the Offy parts of the Supermarkets? Must've been a Govt order cos they've all done it.

That was never enforced though? I can still get a can in Aldi for 89c.

And what's the deal with the Cowboy Saloon type swing doors installed in the Offy parts of the Supermarkets? Must've been a Govt order cos they've all done it.

Meat section next....sinners corner. You can scan your QR code for entry

• Advertisement

• And what's the deal with the Cowboy Saloon type swing doors installed in the Offy parts of the Supermarkets? Must've been a Govt order cos they've all done it.

To (i believe) hide the drink or something. The idea as I understand is it now keeps alcohol in an enclosed part of the shop, think aldi, at one time you could go through the pet food & cleaner sections and wander into the off licence part of the store, now, you can’t. Also they’re locked outside trading hours (I think)
    Meat section next....sinners corner. You can scan your QR code for entry

Grow up.

New rules will be introduced today on the sale of alcohol in supermarkets, which will see products cordoned off.

The new law, introduced under Section 22 of the Public Health Alcohol Act, 2018, will see mixed sale shops being forced to create a barrier or enclosure so alcohol is kept away from the rest of the store.

The legislation is aimed at reducing the attractiveness of alcohol to children and young people.

Alcohol Action Ireland said "these in-store separation measures provide a new opportunity to end the normalisation of alcohol throughout society; alcohol is not an ordinary product and should never be seen as such. "

I see ladies. I think that's fair enough.

• I see ladies. I think that's fair enough.

Who’s a lady? Certainly not I.

Ah I thought you were with the wee picture and Rachael! Apologies my good man!

• Advertisement

Who’s a lady? Certainly not I.

The wannabe lady here is V8. He is trying to pretend otherwise. V8 is the name he uses on sex chatroom sites and is the name of some big mechanical implement he bought online. All sounds ruff as, to be honest, but if it is what makes her happy, who are we to judge

• The wannabe lady here is V8. He is trying to pretend otherwise. V8 is the name he uses on sex chatroom sites and is the name of some big mechanical implement he bought online. All sounds ruff as, to be honest, but if it is what makes her happy, who are we to judge

bit rude bro

I'm beginning to have my doubts about Crypto's femininity now also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

The wannabe lady here is V8. He is trying to pretend otherwise. V8 is the name he uses on sex chatroom sites and is the name of some big mechanical implement he bought online. All sounds ruff as, to be honest, but if it is what makes her happy, who are we to judge
    I'm beginning to have my doubts about Crypto's femininity now also...

Mod - Drop it the pair of ye.

Advertisement