Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacks / Reverse Sash Clamps?

Options
  • 18-11-2019 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Thought that would get ye attention. It's certainly focusing my mind!

Keeping it 'simple' ~ ye don't need to cloud the issue with superfluous detail, believe me: I'm having a 'brick box' built. Only, one, or two, sides will have glazed portals.

This will necessitate my pressing glass against silicone around the inside of said box. Is that clear?

Please don't concern yeself with thoughts of silicone and brick. That's all sorted, thanks. I just need a way of applying very measured pressure, 'Outward', from inside the box.

See where I got the title from? Little car jacks could be used, to push timber against the glass. Or, something like sash clamps, which pushed out, rather than squeezed in.

This is a slow burn project. Wouldn't think I'd be doing it before the new year. But, this one bit of logistics has been doing my head in, for ages now!

Boards DIY Massive; Your thoughts, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

Stigura wrote: »
    Thought that would get ye attention. It's certainly focusing my mind!

Keeping it 'simple' ~ ye don't need to cloud the issue with superfluous detail, believe me: I'm having a 'brick box' built. Only, one, or two, sides will have glazed portals.

This will necessitate my pressing glass against silicone around the inside of said box. Is that clear?

Please don't concern yeself with thoughts of silicone and brick. That's all sorted, thanks. I just need a way of applying very measured pressure, 'Outward', from inside the box.

See where I got the title from? Little car jacks could be used, to push timber against the glass. Or, something like sash clamps, which pushed out, rather than squeezed in.

This is a slow burn project. Wouldn't think I'd be doing it before the new year. But, this one bit of logistics has been doing my head in, for ages now!

Boards DIY Massive; Your thoughts, please?

The quick release clamps in the link below can be used as you've described.

The jaws can be taken off and switched around so that your 'spreading' instead of 'clamping'

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/spreader-clamps-10-pack-of-2/3854V?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn8nuBRCzARIsAJcdIfPeiBnNgoQGr0yRIGWbmwY2NhuipLtaZsxgrvWyHH0zlCacDnICJzEaAns6EALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Damn!!! Cletus; Yo de Man!!! :D

Cheap as chips too! Consider some of them added to my next order!

That's made my bloody day! Exactly what I need. And I never even knew they existed :o

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mikehn

Must be a mighty small box if a clamp is going to work.I would cut a bit of ply the same size as the glass, apply mastic, glass and then the ply. Use a piece of say 2X1 about a half inch longer that the inside measurement to slip down inside as a brace against the ply thus giving you even pressure over the glass area.

Mikehn's idea above is excellent, something I had considered myself (but I'm aware of Stigura's penchant for drip feeding his projects to us :D)

Really, an idea of what size the box is going to be would be ideal, as well as some idea of the construction and maybe even use. Will you have access to the top and bottom of the glass, will the box have an opening etc

Not that I like 'drip feeding'. Actually more that I'm a chatty swine (I barely talk to another human, face to face, from one week to the next) so, I try not to let my posts become life stories ;)

'Box' is to be six foot wide. Four foot deep. Up to two foot high. Glassed along the front and at one end.

It's to be built out of blocks and bricks. What ever the Builder decides, really. On a fresh and level concrete base. I'll be sealing all the insides with 'Pond Paint'. Silicone sticks to that like the proverbial to a blanket.

It's going in here, at the foot of my futon. I'll build it a secure and ventilated lid. Because it's paramount that it keep my Dogs out and 'Snape' in. Snape is my Common Snapper Turtle :)

• Advertisement

Mikehn’s idea would work here, then.

The bar clamps are still worth picking up

Oh, I have quite the 'Thing' for " Bar Clamps " anyway! Never had them in my day. I'm fascinated with them :)

Fact that these things are reversible? Absolutely answers my prayer! I was thinking:

" If only I could get one of these squeezy handled yokes that expanded, rather than contracted. Then, put a bit of wood between them and the glass and they could push the wood out, holding the glass firmly. "

And, Boosh! The bloody things exist! :D

Agreed; Now I think about it, Mikehn’s idea, about a whole, glass sized sheet? Yeppers. That would, indeed, make for a more spread out, even pressure against the glass / against the silicone.

I don't intend to go raving mad, of course. I've worked with glass and silicone for years. Made tons of tanks. Shoving, fit to break the glass, just defeats the object. It needs to be held against the silicone. Not be crushed into it.

Anyway; Brucey Bonus is that I'll end up with half a dozen or so more clamps around the place! :) Worth their weight in gold, when ye Billy No Mates!

Advertisement