Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall thermal bridge problem?

• 17-11-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a lot of concerns with where 2 walls join/tie on an extension I am getting built at the moment. i have attached a photo. There is a step-in on the wall where the 2 walls join. It looks to me like the outer leaf ties/joins with the inner leaf at this point, which seems very weird. I would have expected that this would never be acceptable due to cold bridging and moisture/dampness penetration? ie. I would have thought that the cavity and insulation should be running continuously from one wall to the other.
    I am going to raise this with the engineer - but based on my photo which I have attached and annotated, - does my understanding seem correct? Does this ever need to be done sometimes for any technical reason or as some kind of structural/stability trade off?

Here is the photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZecPeo5la1d_bA6odnTfRb93NLDGMSQJ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks once again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

ravendude wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a lot of concerns with where 2 walls join/tie on an extension I am getting built at the moment. i have attached a photo. There is a step-in on the wall where the 2 walls join. It looks to me like the outer leaf ties/joins with the inner leaf at this point, which seems very weird. I would have expected that this would never be acceptable due to cold bridging and moisture/dampness penetration? ie. I would have thought that the cavity and insulation should be running continuously from one wall to the other.
    I am going to raise this with the engineer - but based on my photo which I have attached and annotated, - does my understanding seem correct? Does this ever need to be done sometimes for any technical reason or as some kind of structural/stability trade off?

Here is the photo:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZecPeo5la1d_bA6odnTfRb93NLDGMSQJ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks once again!

The whole junction is wrong.
    Internal and external leafs should remain continuous and never meet with the exception of wall ties. Same goes for insulation leafs and dpc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

What's on your drawings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cant tell much from the photos. But is that not a window sill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

listermint wrote: »
    Cant tell much from the photos. But is that not a window sill?

No, the inner leaf is just up several feet, - not finished yet.

landcrzr wrote: »
    What's on your drawings?
    There was some change in plan due to existing wall detail when existing was opened/visible.
    Engineer and builder agreed on some detail to join the walls. I don't think this is what was agreed, - but I wasn't clear on all the details.

I wouldn't rule out that this isn't something the bricklayer has messed up tbh, or cut a corner on and not what he was directed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

The whole junction is wrong.
    Internal and external leafs should remain continuous and never meet with the exception of wall ties. Same goes for insulation leafs and dpc.

definitley. Whole thing just look like its been done a.se ways

SC024 wrote: »
    definitley. Whole thing just look like its been done a.se ways

For sure. Went to engineer who promptly replied to builder that it needs to be rebuilt. Will be keeping a very close eye on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Looks completely wrong. Where a new cavity wall meets an old cavity wall, it is usually necessary to chase out a slot of the existing wall so that insulation can be made continuous between the old and new and also to allow a cavity or vertical dpc to be introduced between old and new.

Advertisement