Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads covering threads

Options
  • 17-11-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, this has just started lately.
    On Chrome and full site on phone.
    If I click on the X to stop showing it,it leaves a blank square still covering threads.
    Want to keep using full site as I really don't like touch or any other version.
    In chrome setting I have ads and pop ups blocked.
    Any fix please?

Screenshot-20191117-100720.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

It's happening me as well, I report add as inappropriate and then refresh and it resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm getting huge ads on mobile that are really easy to click by accident when trying to scroll by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just came here for same reason, very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm getting them too on the phone. I keep reporting them under the heading 'ad covering content' but it's still appearing over the first few threads.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm getting huge ads on mobile that are really easy to click by accident when trying to scroll by.

That looks like the standard MPU size that we use (300x250) though some ads can be smaller than that so you may not be used to seeing them.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks for the reports everyone. As mentioned in an earlier thread this seems to be due to using a layout intended for a large screen on a much smaller screen. I see some of you prefer not to use touch.boards.ie. Are there any specific reasons why that is? No promises but maybe if we knew why you felt using desktop on a mobile screen was better than touch we might be able to help in some other way. As I said, no promises but would be good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks for the reports everyone. As mentioned in an earlier thread this seems to be due to using a layout intended for a large screen on a much smaller screen. I see some of you prefer not to use touch.boards.ie. Are there any specific reasons why that is? No promises but maybe if we knew why you felt using desktop on a mobile screen was better than touch we might be able to help in some other way. As I said, no promises but would be good to know.
    Hi Niamh.
    Hate the touch site.
    Full one justs gives you everything there to see,or at least seems so.

This issue has only started about 2 weeks so something has changed.
    Been using the same version with 10 years and never a problem until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Cannot get rid of these intrusive ads.

Please fix it.

Thanks

And again.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Bikerman2019, I've merged your thread into another thread on this topic. As Niamh mentions above, this is likely happening as a result of layout intended for a large screen being displayed on a much smaller screen. For mobile browsing, we recommend using touch.boards.ie.

If you could outline why you prefer to use the desktop site on a mobile, we can try to utilise this feedback. Thanks.

• Advertisement

To simple, no easy link to move about, very little viewable content about current threads.

It's only recently this started.

Boards.ie Employee

Thanks for your feedback. Does tapping the x on the Google Ad dismiss it?

It leaves a large white empty box.

I have just installed adblock browser which has stopped the massive ads but it's a pain in the butt having to change browsers.

Tapping the X leaves a blank space there still blocking some of the page.
    If it's as you say because of using the full site why has it only lately started?
    Something else must be the cause of it surely.
    It was perfect for over 10 years for me.

blade1 wrote: »
    Tapping the X leaves a blank space there still blocking some of the page.
    If it's as you say because of using the full sight why has it only lately started?
    Something else must be the cause of it surely.
    It was perfect for over 10 years for me.

This issue only started for me recently.

I've had the same problem recently, it has been fine for years. I'm now using the touch site and it is inferior to the main site. Lots of missing info that is handy that you don't miss till you haven't got it.
    The theory about using a large picture on a small screen doesn't sound right. Any website I've ever visited from my phone has always correctly sized the photos on the page. If that was the issue lots of desktop only websites would have the same issue but they don't.
    The major ommision I noticed on first glance on the touch site is no trending tab. And also you can't see where posters are from which is handy in the weather threads. When you get a thanks you have to click on the thanks button to see who it was.

The only way to dismiss it is to clink on a thread which is below the as and then click out of it and sometimes you get a new as an other times it's ok. It seems to have gotten worse which forced me to switch to the touch site the last few days.

iamtony wrote: »
    I've had the same problem recently, it has been fine for years. I'm now using the touch site and it is inferior to the main site. Lots of missing info that is handy that you don't miss till you haven't got it.
    The theory about using a large picture on a small screen doesn't sound right. Any website I've ever visited from my phone has always correctly sized the photos on the page. If that was the issue lots of desktop only websites would have the same issue but they don't.
    The major ommision I noticed on first glance on the touch site is no trending tab. And also you can't see where posters are from which is handy in the weather threads. When you get a thanks you have to click on the thanks button to see who it was.
    iamtony wrote: »
    The only way to dismiss it is to clink on a thread which is below the as and then click out of it and sometimes you get a new as an other times it's ok. It seems to have gotten worse which forced me to switch to the touch site the last few days.

Yep, that is pretty much what is happening with me. It is only recently it has occured though. Judging from previous responses here, it appears there may be no desire to fix it that if you want to avoid this issue, use the touch site (or whatever it is called)

I am now using ad-block browser for android and it appears to be killing ALL ads. Maybe worth you having a look.

Boards.ie Employee

Thank you for providing feedback on the Touch site.

Unfortunately, due to limited development resources, we are unable to dedicate the necessary time required to sorting this issue, which seems to crop up when using the desktop site on a screen size that it's not made for.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭homenotaway

If you tap on the 3 dots at the top right of your screen and choose 'desktop site' that should solve the ad problem ☺

• Advertisement
    Boards.ie Employee

If you tap on the 3 dots at the top right of your screen and choose 'desktop site' that should solve the ad problem ☺

Can people try this and see if it resolves the issue please?

So far so good.

Luckily there is one genius around the place! :pac:

Works but one you close your browser and then reopen it it's back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭homenotaway

blade1 wrote: »
    So far so good.

Luckily there is one genius around the place! :pac:
    👍👍

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement