Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling house because of Youth problem

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Gael23 wrote: »
    Who else do you think would want to live there! Better have the house flattened

There'll be a queue of people looking to buy it. The local estate agents will see to that.
    Which "left wing" government would this be??

I've lived here for 25 years and I can't think of one that hasn't been left leaning.
    deandean wrote: »
    You used to be able to have a chat with your local Sinn Fein TD or counsellor and these type of anti social issues would be sorted.

SF thrive in these areas. They are part of the problem. They support and enable this behaviour.
    tastyt wrote: »
    A few others have said this, if you can, get out of the city, its turning into an absolute dump.

Totally agree. Would buy a one off build down the country, if I was ever buying a home here. Took risky buying in an estate due to the issues noted in this thread and I wouldn't trust the people that build those houses either. Those houses are thrown up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Berserker wrote: »
    There'll be a queue of people looking to buy it. The local estate agents will see to that.

I've lived here for 25 years and I can't think of one that hasn't been left leaning.

SF thrive in these areas. They are part of the problem. They support and enable this behaviour.

Totally agree. Would buy a one off build down the country, if I was ever buying a home here. Took risky buying in an estate due to the issues noted in this thread and I wouldn't trust the people that build those houses either. Those houses are thrown up in no time.

this should be interesting! like who, and in what way have they been left leaning?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this should be interesting! like who, and in what way have they been left leaning?

Left leaning on every social issue for starters. Divorce, abortion, LGBTQ+ rights off the top of my head.

Left leaning on every social issue for starters. Divorce, abortion, LGBTQ+ rights off the top of my head.

thats not necessarily left leaning, not exactly conservative either mind you

thats not necessarily left leaning, not exactly conservative either mind you

What would you call it then?

• Advertisement

What would you call it then?

more liberalism than anything. its clearly obvious, our leading parties, and governments that they have created, are more economically conservative, engaging in, or try to be, more conservative by nature, by 'balancing the books', so to speak, even running surpluses at times. theyve also engaged in more conservative activities such as austerity etc. this is the most common outcome across the world, particularly in western nations , as we all have engaged in market based ideologies, and funnily enough, we re all ending up with the same or similar problems, particularly socially. left leaning, i dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I done the same thing back in 2010. Our house and cars were egged every weekend, there was a street light outside our house and it attracted them like moths every night. We made the decision to move out and do put the house up for sale and started looking for a new house. We moved out of town completely to a house in the country and couldn’t be happier.

Do it OP, life is too short, move now and enjoy your life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

The problem is Lone Parent Payments and Child Benefit. The Cash and Co types essentially become farmers with a herd of children. Maybe once a week stuff a greasy takeaway down their throats and you’ve really to do nothing else. Every goblin dropped out of her is a 7 years extension of her entitlement to sit on her ass.

The only way to stop these anti social problems is to cap welfare payments to a maximum of 2 children until the child is 2 years old. Scrap child benefits and administer it another way. Get rid of Lone parent welfare payments for under 18s (excluding disability allowance) to discourage teen pregnancies in certain cultures and prioritise social housing for single people to discourage queue jumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

OP is in a very similar situation to a friend of mine.
    He lives in a corner house in the East side of Galway City. He's always dealing with his house being targeted. He hopes to move to the country as soon as he can.
    There's no consequences for the young lads that attack his property.

more liberalism than anything.

Social liberalism, I would say in that case. I would associate that with the left.
    its clearly obvious, our leading parties, and governments that they have created, are more economically conservative, engaging in, or try to be, more conservative by nature, by 'balancing the books', so to speak, even running surpluses at times. theyve also engaged in more conservative activities such as austerity etc. this is the most common outcome across the world, particularly in western nations , as we all have engaged in market based ideologies, and funnily enough, we re all ending up with the same or similar problems, particularly socially. left leaning, i dont think so!

Do you think that they've been economically conservative w.r.t the topic being discussed in this thread? They been very generous when it comes to social payments. They've coupled generous social payments with conservative acts such as austerity but middle class workers were the primary targets when it came to austerity. These trouble makers are not middle class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Could buy a Mosquito alarm which might deter loitering.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The only silver lining here is that a lot of these scumbags will die young and do society a favour but unfortunately they will have bred the next generation before the drugs, smokes and dutch gold put them in a brown box.

I feel for the OP, it's like all the odds are being stacked against decent hard working people these days and the Government is doing nothing only rewarding the workshy scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

My friend and he's wife paid big money for a house and in the affordable section in the estate theres nothing but ex junkies and stay at home parents with loads of kids , while everyone else is working to pay for their home , the spongers pay next to nothing and sit around watching telly while their kids run amok .

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

mondeo wrote: »
    God knows how long it will take to sell the house, could take 6 months, I want to request with the estate agency we end up going with that they do not put a "For Sale" sign outside the house so no one knows we are moving... We think things will get worse if they see a sign outside the house.

We are looking to move maybe D16, it's not miles away but it's all private, or maybe somewhere in D14. I have always liked these areas and back in the day we did look at buying a house out there but they were much more expensive, I totally understand why now. More then likely when we sell our house, we will have to get another small mortgage to pay the price difference for a house in a nicer area. That's fine with us since we are still relatively young and don't mind paying off another part of a mortgage.

Looking forward to going out and viewing new houses in the new year, our last xmas in this house really makes me happy and buzzy inside. It's great we finally made a decision on this.

We went with this approach. Kept it quiet, no for sale signs, sold the second day it went up online. Thankfully the new buyer viewed on a quiet day. Still shocked it ever sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

We went with this approach. Kept it quiet, no for sale signs, sold the second day it went up online. Thankfully the new buyer viewed on a quiet day. Still shocked it ever sold.
    Were they buying to move in or to rent it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Do the councils buy hoses in established private estates?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I really fear for how the next generation will need to live. The way the country had changed in the last 20/30 years, makes it scary for the next 20/30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The councils seem to be buying up pretty much anything and everything they can get their hands on at this stage with predicatable results.

Although there are exceptions, generally people who get everything handed to them for free or next to nothing rarely appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

This is going off topic massively but pro-divorce, pro gay marriage and pro abortion as well as a very generous social welfare system are all left wing policies.

antodeco wrote: »
    I really fear for how the next generation will need to live. The way the country had changed in the last 20/30 years, makes it scary for the next 20/30 years

I'd say that Dublin and the commuter belt will be full of no-go areas. One of my mates is convinces that'll end up like LA, which is a horrible dump.

Pretty much. One of my friends paid €660K for her house. It's a lovely detached house, four bed in a small, old estate. The council bought the house two doors down from her recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The councils seem to be buying up pretty much anything and everything they can get their hands on at this stage with predicatable results.

Although there are exceptions, generally people who get everything handed to them for free or next to nothing rarely appreciate it.
    Pretty much. One of my friends paid €660K for her house. It's a lovely detached house, four bed in a small, old estate. The council bought the house two doors down from her recently.

So it's all a lottery then. Buy in a nice area and hope no one sells up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

One of my friends paid €660K for her house. It's a lovely detached house, four bed in a small, old estate. The council bought the house two doors down from her recently.

If i paid that much for a house and that happened, it would sicken my shit...

So it's all a lottery then. Buy in a nice area and hope no one sells up.

Yep, not a chance in hell that we'd buy in Dublin/Kildare etc. If we were going to buy here, it'd be a one off build down the country, on a nice plot of land. You are still only 1.5 hours from Dublin, which is nothing. I used to spend two hours a day driving in and out of Houston for work. My wife drove to Dallas every week or so and that was a three hour drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

The direction the country is taking is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Unless parents are held responsible for the actions of their little angels then nothing will change, also a two tier curfew, one for under 16 and one for under 18's should be trialed.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Were they buying to move in or to rent it out?

Move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi OP,

if the local Gardai could be persuaded to take an interest, it might be solvable, but that's a pretty big if (we spent two years trying to get action, which eventually worked, thank God).

Anyway, the only hopefully practical advice I can offer is to remove any signs of intensive surveillance, as surely that would cause potential buyers to wonder why its necessary - it would for me, anyway.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My friend bought his first home in City West back in 2001. It was the height of the Celtic Tiger and people were property crazy.

He lived there a few years with his young family. His neighbours were of a similar background and demographic.

When the crash came, he wanted to move his family to a larger and quieter place, so he relocated to a rural village. He signed a ten-year deal with South Dublin County Council to rent the house out for social housing. Guaranteed rent.

Every once in a while, an appliance breaks in the rented house. When he visits, he is always shocked at the deterioration if the place. Mildew, grubby, above average wear and tear, appliances that just 'broke' without a good explanation. The tenant was almost zero respect for the property.

Looking around the estate, he says it has slumped dramatically. Reckons it will be a problem area within 10 years. He has no interest in living in City West again. But he'd probably have to take a haircut on the selling price!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Funny how these characters who do this stuff think they're so 'hard' or 'badass'.

Always mob handed, never on their own, enjoy making others uncomfortable but would evacuate their bowels in two seconds in a warzone or a boxing ring.

Just like the workplace bully who knows full well that their quarry has their hands tied by wearing the psychological and financial shackles of being 'at work', usually in a supplicant position, and cannot tell their tormentor to 'F*** off' or mete out some rougher justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I bet the council wouldn't buy up houses around D4 to house people from the list in, D4 is the Beverly Hills of Dublin. The area will depreciate in value and the government wouldn't allow that anyways since it's where most of them are living themselves. All the big earners have their D4 homes. Imagine paying over 1 million + for a 3 bedroom semi in D4 compared to €370,000 for a 3 bedroom house in D24, only to have a family of wasters move in next door to you throwing garbage over your back wall. I doubt it would happen, it wouldn't happen.There would be murder if it did. The council will gladly buy up property in all the lesser private areas though, downgrading the value of everyone elses house there. Firhouse for exampe has fallen victim to this.

Advertisement