Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entrance width

Options
  • 14-11-2019 2:14pm

We renovated a house a few months ago and are just getting around to landscaping the grounds.

We are in an estate but the front of the house is very wide and has lots of space.

We are cobble locking most of the front and building a new front wall and entrance. Current entrance is a temporary one and too wide at over 5 metres.

Can anyone suggest what is the recommended width for an entrance? We are looking at around 4.3 metres.

Comments

This image might help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

House looks great btw

The vehicular entrance is a controlled item as per your Planning so you have to consult that in my opinion.
    For example in Dublin City, they will not let you go bigger than 3.6m. In South Dublin, in the last few months I got conditioned on 2 separate applications to reduce to 3.5m.

kceire wrote: »
    House looks great btw

The vehicular entrance is a controlled item as per your Planning so you have to consult that in my opinion.
    For example in Dublin City, they will not let you go bigger than 3.6m. In South Dublin, in the last few months I got conditioned on 2 separate applications to reduce to 3.5m.

Thanks. I'll have to ask the engineer we used but looking at the planning application it was extended to over 5 metres as per the picture and I don't think there was any objection to it when it went through planning.

If planning were not a concern, what would you suggest as a comfortable width?

Thanks. I'll have to ask the engineer we used but looking at the planning application it was extended to over 5 metres as per the picture and I don't think there was any objection to it when it went through planning.

If planning were not a concern, what would you suggest as a comfortable width?

Check the conditions to see if it was mentioned.
    Double check the drawings and elevations.

I’d keep the width as you can get more than one car straight in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Check you actually have planning permission to widen the entrance? It should have been (specifically) stated in the wording of your application (on your site notice, in newspaper notice, etc.).

I would find it strange that you actually got planning permission for a 5 metre wide entrance!

As KC states above, most local authorities limit to 3.5 or 3.6 metres max.

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Check you actually have planning permission to widen the entrance? It should have been (specifically) stated in the wording of your application (on your site notice, in newspaper notice, etc.).

I would find it strange that you actually got planning permission for a 5 metre wide entrance!

+1
    If you want to PM me the planning drawings or the ref number from the LA site I’ll check it for you.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Thanks, my engineer is looking into it for me. The 5 metre wide entrance was way too big anyway and we are looking to close it off a bit but obviously in line with regs and pp.

kceire wrote: »
    +1
    If you want to PM me the planning drawings or the ref number from the LA site I’ll check it for you.

Thanks a million for the offer but the engineer we had acted as PM for the job and is going to check it out and get back to me asap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd personally say ~3.5 metres is loads. I lived in a house once that had a very open driveway like yours and while it was good in some ways, I would have preferred to have it closed in a bit, from a privacy and security point of view.

It's over 5 metres in the photo above and it's way too big and open as you say. I'm shifting entrance to right so it's not right in front of door, but want to allow for easy swing to right and left as we will be able to park three cars so would ideally like to go over 4 metres as a neighbour has done. Thankfully we're the last house in a quiet cul de sac and are building a new wall and planting laurel as well as installing a sliding gate so security and being too open is not a concern.

• Advertisement
Advertisement