Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquid versus Sand & Cement Screed (New build w UFH & Heat Pump)

Options
  • 14-11-2019 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering what’s everyone’s take on the best screed to use over underfloor heating for a new build - sand & cement V liquid?

Provided each is installed correctly which is better for conducting heat and lasting well? Anyone had issues with either?

Keep hearing opposing things, that liquid is easier to install but easier to damage and prolonged drying time can cause issues; S&C requires more skill to install but when done correctly is stronger and cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

Doubt you’ll find many using sand and cement screed any more, it’s too Labour intensive

Unless you were to do the whole house yourself there probably would not be much in it cost wise.

There are different types of liquid screed with varying minimum installation thicknesses: someone else might post on these

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

I'd be really interested too in these responses, Liquid screed leaves a much better surface for florring/ tiling, I have a guy coming tomorrow for $660 to grind down and leveling a screwed up first floor, that was sand and cement, the lads got caught with a 2 hour delay on the last (3rd) pour (bank holiday Friday) and there;s a ridge between the second and third pour.

Sand and cement can cost you more, if the lads screw up or the cement truck is delayed..

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

liquid screed all day long.. unless your putting terrazo on it which would be very rare.

100% level No floor leveler / scabbling / grinding.
    smooth
    much quicker response times from underfloor heating
    can be thinner 50mm versus 75 upwards.
    quicker laid, a few hours will cover a lot of area with liquid screed & walk on the next day.

btw I dont suppy or fit either of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 HayDay18

Thanks for replies. Its interesting how most of what I hear about screed liquid being preferable is due to the ease of installation which (provided both are installed correctly by suitably experienced suppliers) shouldn't be a primary factor in decision making from a homeowners perspective. Its mainly how durable it will be, and how well it performs with underfloor heating that I would be concerned with.

Any other advice welcome, different types of liquid screed etc. ...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

HayDay18 wrote: »
    Thanks for replies. Its interesting how most of what I hear about screed liquid being preferable is due to the ease of installation which (provided both are installed correctly by suitably experienced suppliers) shouldn't be a primary factor in decision making from a homeowners perspective. Its mainly how durable it will be, and how well it performs with underfloor heating that I would be concerned with.

Any other advice welcome, different types of liquid screed etc. ...

Ease of installation ultimately has a bearing on the quality of the finish. It’s difficult to get a nice level and smooth finish inside the house with floated sand/cement

• Advertisement
Advertisement