Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insulate around socket

• 12-11-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

I’m insulating a stud wall which is open on one side since it is facing into the cold loft. I’m using Metac fiberglass insulation. The sockets are in metal boxes mounted to a piece of board spanning between two studs. Can I insulate right up to the edge of the metal boxes? Can I hang the insulation so that it covers the back of the piece of board? - since there is no support from the studs at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BarraOG wrote: »
    I’m insulating a stud wall which is open on one side since it is facing into the cold loft. I’m using Metac fiberglass insulation. The sockets are in metal boxes mounted to a piece of board spanning between two studs. Can I insulate right up to the edge of the metal boxes? Can I hang the insulation so that it covers the back of the piece of board? - since there is no support from the studs at this point.

Yes you can insulate right up and around the socket.

Make full sure the cables for the socket are inside a conduit though.. cable shouldn't come in direct contact with the insulation foam. The shielding can react with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭BarraOG

listermint wrote: »
    Yes you can insulate right up and around the socket.

Make full sure the cables for the socket are inside a conduit though.. cable shouldn't come in direct contact with the insulation foam. The shielding can react with it.

Thanks very much for your reply. The cable has no conduit around it. Do you know if I can get conduit which I can open so that I don't need to rewire the socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks very much for your reply. The cable has no conduit around it. Do you know if I can get conduit which I can open so that I don't need to rewire the socket?

You could run a blade up oval conduit . Alot of faffing.

Easier to just rewire socket since you have access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

https://www.raygrahams.com/products/132989-square-plastic-self-adhesive-conduit-16mm-x-16mm-x-3m.aspx

front face pops of can be got in any hardware shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

If it’s fibreglass insulation then there’s no need for conduit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭BarraOG

meercat wrote: »
    If it’s fibreglass insulation then there’s no need for conduit.

Yeah it was fibreglass, that's great if I don't need conduit. And again, its ok that the metal socket box is surrounded by fibreglass even on its back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭meercat

Yeah it was fibreglass, that's great if I don't need conduit. And again, its ok that the metal socket box is surrounded by fibreglass even on its back?

Yes the insulation can surround the metal socket box also

Advertisement