Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-10-2019, 10:47   #1
frillyleaf

How do single people buy homes?

Genuinely asking how people are managing to do this. I’m currently renting and am constantly nervous of being given notice. Any time something is wrong with house I pay for it to be fixed unless it is to do with water or electricity. Rent privately but don’t I feel secure. Any time a letter comes in post I’m nervous it is an eviction notice. Have had to move house a few times now and want to get out of rent trap.

Long term I would like to buy but I just can’t see how this is ever going to be a possibility with current rental market and cost of living. I’m starting to become anxious about my future and children’s future.

How do people manage to buy as single applicants? Ideally I would like to stay in my area as children are in school here. I don’t live in an “affluent” area but can’t afford to buy. What are the options for single people to buy?

I feel quite disheartened and negative so I’m hoping there will be some positive feedback
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 10:53   #2
OSI

I know 2 people that bought houses while single.

1 works for a software company that throws stock at their staff like it's made of toilet paper.

The other is a consultant anaesthesiologist with a research fellowship.

There's a couple of options for ya.
23-10-2019, 10:56   #3
Seanachai

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillyleaf View Post
Genuinely asking how people are managing to do this. I’m currently renting and am constantly nervous of being given notice. Any time something is wrong with house I pay for it to be fixed unless it is to do with water or electricity. Rent privately but don’t I feel secure. Any time a letter comes in post I’m nervous it is an eviction notice. Have had to move house a few times now and want to get out of rent trap.

Long term I would like to buy but I just can’t see how this is ever going to be a possibility with current rental market and cost of living. I’m starting to become anxious about my future and children’s future.

How do people manage to buy as single applicants? Ideally I would like to stay in my area as children are in school here. I don’t live in an “affluent” area but can’t afford to buy. What are the options for single people to buy?

I feel quite disheartened and negative so I’m hoping there will be some positive feedback
I'm in the same position, my landlord has sold two of his other houses in the area, he's elderly and I don't think his children have any interest in being landlords. I have no single relatives or friends that own their own home, the only way that I could see myself buying or building my own place would be to move to my home parish and get the rebuilding Ireland or Credit Union mortgage. Ideally get a half decent site and put a wood cabin on it, it would have to be out of the way though for the council to approve this.
23-10-2019, 11:03   #4
Creamy Goodness

Single buyer here; The answer is super hard work and support from my parents. I know early on what I wanted to do with my life, parent's supported this and supported me through college. It turned out I picked a great career (Software) but it wasn't for the money I picked it, it's a bonus.

I've made some sacrifices in the last five years to be able to afford a house (relationships have suffered, friendships have as well) but in the end they were ones I was willing to make to be able to put a roof over my head.

OP have a look at some of the schemes available to help people buy, there are a few out there but I'm not familiar with the specifics.
(2) thanks from:
23-10-2019, 11:04   #5
Salary Negotiator

I bought as a single person; my commute has gone from a 21km cycle 5 days a week to a 100km each way drive 3 times a week.

I moved out of Dublin and back to where I grew up and quite a few friends have done the same over the last 2 years.

Being from the area I'm quite happy here and know a lot of people but if I was from Dublin and had been priced out of there I'm not sure I'd like it as much.
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 11:06   #6
gigantic09

I'm in the same situation as you and fully empathise. Up until the last couple of years I was happy enough to remain renting. About a year ago I got notice that the apt I was in was being sold and was given notice to move out again.This is the 4th time this happened in last 10 years so this time I said to myself enough is enough. Sick of the uncertainty, sub standard living conditions and spiraling rents.
Was lucky enough to be able to move into the mother's house in Feb when lease was terminated and this year have done any overtime going at work. Now have a deposit together to buy something at the low end of the market.ie wouldn't have thought this was possible before and sorry I didn't do it a few years ago when prices were a lot lower. Best of luck in your endeavours.
23-10-2019, 11:07   #7
Plumbthedepths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
I'm in the same position, my landlord has sold two of his other houses in the area, he's elderly and I don't think his children have any interest in being landlords. I have no single relatives or friends that own their own home, the only way that I could see myself buying or building my own place would be to move to my home parish and get the rebuilding Ireland or Credit Union mortgage. Ideally get a half decent site and put a wood cabin on it, it would have to be out of the way though for the council to approve this.
You won't get permission for a log cabins that are sold here as a permanent dwelling. For a log cabin to meet regulations the cost is similar to a traditional build.
Thanks from:
23-10-2019, 11:09   #8
ELM327

I bought a 3 bed in Athboy as a single applicant.
It's not the pinnacle of properties but I couldnt afford Dublin without overstretching and/or living in a bad area.

I work in a Fintech MNC as a risk analyst.
23-10-2019, 11:09   #9
frillyleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanachai View Post
Do you have children too? It’s very unsettling. I usually try not to think about it too much but am starting to get more and more anxious. I have priced log cabins too and would love to go that route but I don’t have anywhere that I can build it. I priced one and in desperation when I was evicted from a house a few years ago. I asked if I could build it on old family land that isn’t used to tie me over for a few years and was told this wasn’t an option.

I try to be optimistic but I was speaking with someone the other day and feel negative. She and her partner both work full time and have two kids and can’t afford to get a mortgage or save. I try to be positive but when I hear stories from dual income homes not being able to buy it scares me as I don’t have someone to buy with.
Advertisement
23-10-2019, 11:13   #10
gigantic09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post

OP have a look at some of the schemes available to help people buy, there are a few out there but I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Unfortunately apart from new builds there's not alot of incentives out there for a person looking to buy. In fact its the opposite as you have to pay stamp duty.
23-10-2019, 11:15   #11
frillyleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantic09 View Post
I'm in the same situation as you and fully empathise. Up until the last couple of years I was happy enough to remain renting. About a year ago I got notice that the apt I was in was being sold and was given notice to move out again.This is the 4th time this happened in last 10 years so this time I said to myself enough is enough. Sick of the uncertainty, sub standard living conditions and spiraling rents.
Was lucky enough to be able to move into the mother's house in Feb when lease was terminated and this year have done any overtime going at work. Now have a deposit together to buy something at the low end of the market.ie wouldn't have thought this was possible before and sorry I didn't do it a few years ago when prices were a lot lower. Best of luck in your endeavours.
I’ve noticed a few apartments going for sale in my block too. It is absolutely terrifying to see dual income families with children scrambling to find places to rent and I’m worrying it will be me next.

Well done on saving up for deposit. That is great news and I wish you all the best with your new home.
(2) thanks from:
23-10-2019, 11:18   #12
pg633

We built a house on a single income with a family.

For me a big difference was getting a site for free - we couldn't have bought the equivalent finished house.
Other big factors were:
Lots of savings built up over years.
Receiving a redundancy payment but thankfully not being out of work for long.
Relatively good salary to borrow against.

If we weren't able to build and had to buy we would have had to sacrifice somewhat on size and/or location but it would still have been possible.

No easy answer I'm afraid - mostly just a combination of factors mostly beyond my control.

My car is 12 years old and I dont like it but I keep driving it because it is cheap. I would like a newer/bigger/nicer one but I can't justify it at the moment.
Thanks from:
23-10-2019, 11:21   #13
Buttonftw

Biggest step would be to buy outside Dublin.
23-10-2019, 11:23   #14
Zulu

Single income with family.
Bought through hard work and frugality. Very hard work and a very tight budget for more years than I cared for, but that's in the past now. If you really want something, you'd be surprised how much you can save.

We bought 2 years ago (for context) and needed to save a 20% deposit.
23-10-2019, 11:24   #15
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by frillyleaf View Post

They have incomes/inheritance/parents etc that facilitate such purchases

Nothing cryptic about it

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion