Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: How might you vote in a United Ireland referendum?
Yes, but obviously after lots of debate and satisfactory finer details being finalised. 299 65.71%
No, would never support it. 156 34.29%
Voters: 455. You may not vote on this poll

25-05-2019, 16:18   #61
dxhound2005

The views of the people of GB would have to be taken into account as well.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-...-uk-poll-finds

36% in the poll said they don't mind either way, but 36% would not like to see the North leave. The Brexit experience has shown that there is a strong English nationalist element in GB, a lot of them being Labour voters. Faced with a political decision to lose the North, I could see a big backlash against it in GB. And the position of Scotland would come into play even more, if the North goes.
Advertisement
25-05-2019, 16:24   #62
funkey_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Nordies are dour, bad-tempered, and insolent. Many of them appear to be very poorly educated as well - lots of ‘I seen’ and there instead of their. That sort of thing. Wouldn’t be sure of the work ethic either.
That is complete nonsense. Every nation has its fair share of dour, bad-tempered and insolent people, alongside those who are gregarious, mild mannered and polite - and every characteristic in between.

To dismiss the entire population of Northern Ireland like that indicates that you have a low level of intelligence to be putting forward such a viewpoint.
25-05-2019, 16:27   #63
circadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlash View Post
Nordies are dour, bad-tempered, and insolent. Many of them appear to be very poorly educated as well - lots of ‘I seen’ and there instead of their. That sort of thing. Wouldn’t be sure of the work ethic either.
Watch your mouth their ya ****ing ****. We're an alright bunch. Nothing wrong with a 2 hour lunch every other day.

Seriously though. Broad sweeping statements about nearly 2 million people doesn't really do much to solidify your point.
25-05-2019, 16:34   #64
RobertKK

It doesn't matter what people in Ireland would like in theory. It is what the people in Northern Ireland who would ultimately decide on a United Ireland.
If they wanted it, I would not see the people in Ireland voting against it.
Thanks from:
25-05-2019, 16:37   #65
Bambi

Only way to stop the Brits fcuking us again, as they are with brexit, is to run them out of the country for once and for all.

Maybe slap a bit of sense into the nordies while we're at it. We'll have both sides as docile as a donegal bachelor in no time
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-05-2019, 16:53   #66
funkey_monkey

The NHS is a big plus point to life in Northern Ireland. If certain elements within the UK political system get their way and shift to an insurance based system then I can see a greater swing towards unification in the North.

There have been a number of studies done recently which conflict with each other in relation to the economic benefit of unification. This in itself indicates that there will be a need for a very intense and information laden debate on the matter when it eventually does arise.
I hope that the voters do listen, but really there will be those who vote Yes or No regardless of the facts and it will be the swing voters who make the decision.

It would be disappointing if the Yes vote in the South was not over 60% for unification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
We do. We get a separate ref. But the two jurisdictions vote separately. And probably not at the same time like SF wish.

And to be honest if the north voted to for a UI we would feel obligated to accept them more than anything.
I'm surprised that SF would want them together for the reason you outline. It would be more likely for a lower Yes vote or indeed a possible No vote if both were done concurrently. However, if NI voted to join, then as you say the Southern voters may 'feel obliged' to accept the request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by facehugger99 View Post
WTF are you bladdering about? - "legal realities" one minute and "obligated by history" in the next post - you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

They can fcuk off if they think I'm going to be paying 10billion a year to fund a mickey mouse economy.
Noone is asking you to pay €10B - you'll only pay a small part of it. The other tax payers will chip in too (apart from Bono).

In relation to the mickey mouse economy, how are things going outside of the pail? How is Health service? How about all those Post Offices and services in small towns and villages? Rural buses? Trains? Much work in the midlands? House prices?

Northern Ireland does indeed have some economical issues - mainly due it still trying to redress the effects of the 30 year conflict, discrimination against the Catholic community by the Protestant majority and neglect from successive governments over a number of decades. It is slowly redressing these issues, and predictions are that unification would bring a large financial windfall to the entire island.
So don't being sneering down your nose - you are not too many rungs further up the ladder.
25-05-2019, 17:55   #67
ToddyDoody

A genuine question. In a United Ireland, what do you do with the unionists, apart from saying 'go fcuk yourselves'?
25-05-2019, 21:51   #68
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyDoody View Post
A genuine question. In a United Ireland, what do you do with the unionists, apart from saying 'go fcuk yourselves'?
Just because unionists adopted such an attitude towards their nationallists neighbours for years doesn't mean their has to be reciprocal attitude displayed towards them.

They could still be unionist in a United Ireland.
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2019, 21:54   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyDoody View Post
One way tickets to Scotland.

Actually, if they'd just named the country Western Scotland (which it really is) instead of Northern Ireland back in the day then all this would be well put to bed by now and all this nonsense wouldn't even be thought of.
Advertisement
25-05-2019, 21:58   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
Just because unionists adopted such an attitude towards their nationallists neighbours for years doesn't mean their has to be reciprocal attitude displayed towards them.

They could still be unionist in a United Ireland.
I think that was the point of his question, many on here have the attitude that in a UI unionists should like it or leave.

That’s obviously not a viable strategy, but it does beg the question of what would happen.

Autonomous region? Federal state? Small but powerful party in the Dail? Something else?
25-05-2019, 22:07   #71
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcalester View Post
I think that was the point of his question, many on here have the attitude that in a UI unionists should like it or leave.

That’s obviously not a viable strategy, but it does beg the question of what would happen.

Autonomous region? Federal state? Small but powerful party in the Dail? Something else?
One would imagine that in any envisaged scenario involving a United Ireland, it would make sense to make the process a gradual transitional one.

Over the transitional years, I would imagine that a good sizable chunk of unionists might realise that they are in fact living in a happier more prosperous environment, that a lot of their fears were unfounded.

Any of the hard core bigoted ones will most likely up and leave for the UK, where they will quickly realise that they're just "Irish" over there.

It won't happen with a flick of a switch.
Thanks from:
25-05-2019, 22:16   #72
The Rape of Lucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dogs View Post
I'd be in support of reunification, but obviously it's not something we should (indeed could) rush into.
Reunification with the north, making the south part of the UK again? Its a nice idea, and would correct a century of mistake. But I would wait to see how Brexit pans out first. If Brexit reveresed, and UK stays in the EU, then certainly, Ireland reunifying with the UK is a winner.
Thanks from:
25-05-2019, 22:23   #73
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rape of Lucretia View Post
Reunification with the north, making the south part of the UK again? Its a nice idea, and would correct a century of mistake. But I would wait to see how Brexit pans out first. If Brexit reveresed, and UK stays in the EU, then certainly, Ireland reunifying with the UK is a winner.
I don't even read your posts trol. You stopped being funny a loooooong time old hand.

I just stick in a video of this seal clapping like a sap for replies these days.

Sorry bout that.

25-05-2019, 22:25   #74
Gatling

We should ditch any effort to reunite instead we should suggest to the UK that they should ditch the north too and declare an independent state ,

Leave them to their own devices
25-05-2019, 22:28   #75
Johnny Dogs
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatling View Post
We should ditch any effort to reunite instead we should suggest to the UK that they should ditch the north too and declare an independent state ,

Leave them to their own devices
You heard of the GFA - right?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion