Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker **Spoilers from post 2076**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

So, it’s official, Palpatine was a clone - as confirmed by the upcoming novelisation and the usual internet bloggers are ‘shocked’ at this revelation.

Did they not actually watch the movie, it was literally spelt out in front of them the Emperor was a clone. I thought the movie handled it well by giving you all the clues (eg Snoke clones etc) and letting you figure it out for yourself.

But these people are now complaining the movie wasn’t ‘dumbed down’ to get somebody to literally say ‘yer man is a clone’. In addition, some of them are now saying this ‘revelation’ fixes a lot of their problems with Rise of Skywalker and bringing back Palpatine now makes more sense.

They used to say Star Wars killed proper science fiction movies by removing the requirement for viewers to think about what was being portrayed, I guess they were right !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wedwood wrote: »
    So, it’s official, Palpatine was a clone - as confirmed by the upcoming novelisation and the usual internet bloggers are ‘shocked’ at this revelation.

Did they not actually watch the movie, it was literally spelt out in front of them the Emperor was a clone. I thought the movie handled it well by giving you all the clues (eg Snoke clones etc) and letting you figure it out for yourself.

But these people are now complaining the movie wasn’t ‘dumbed down’ to get somebody to literally say ‘yer man is a clone’. In addition, some of them are now saying this ‘revelation’ fixes a lot of their problems with Rise of Skywalker and bringing back Palpatine now makes more sense.

They used to say Star Wars killed proper science fiction movies by removing the requirement for viewers to think about what was being portrayed, I guess they were right !!

Does that even make sense in the consistency of the universe?

All the Jango Fett clones didn't inherit the memories of Jango, they are all individuals that had to go through training.

Whatever version of the Emperor in this, spoke like and seemed to have all the memories of the previous version that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If palps is a clone then why is he in such terrible nick?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Does that even make sense in the consistency of the universe?

All the Jango Fett clones didn't inherit the memories of Jango, they are all individuals that had to go through training.

Whatever version of the Emperor in this, spoke like and seemed to have all the memories of the previous version that died.

The movie strongly implies it’s Palpatine’s spirit/force ghost inhabiting the clone body, hence the memories. When he repeats the line from Attack of the Clones about ‘dark side... path to ... unnatural powers’ to Kylo, you’re being shown the trick Palpatine supposedly learned to ‘cheat death’.

When Palpatine later says ‘I’ve been dead before’, he’s further hinting he’s a spirit and final spellout when he wants Rey to kill him, so his spirit can transfer to her stronger physical body.

Am I the only one who got that information out of the movie 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wedwood wrote: »
    The movie strongly implies it’s Palpatine’s spirit/force ghost inhabiting the clone body, hence the memories. When he repeats the line from Attack of the Clones about ‘dark side... path to ... unnatural powers’ to Kylo, you’re being shown the trick Palpatine supposedly learned to ‘cheat death’.

When Palpatine later says ‘I’ve been dead before’, he’s further hinting he’s a spirit and final spellout when he wants Rey to kill him, so his spirit can transfer to her stronger physical body.

Am I the only one who got that information out of the movie 🤔

As JRant said, why is the clone look in such bad shape and being dragged around by a robot arm if his clone body was so brand new?

Why would he even need to go into Rey if he could just put together a new clone body?

I can see it being true that he is a clone but it doesn't really make much sense given other information provided.

The bigger issue was that it is completely stuck on the end of this trilogy with absolutely no build towards it from the first two movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As JRant said, why is the clone look in such bad shape and being dragged around by a robot arm if his clone body was so brand new?

Why would he even need to go into Rey if he could just put together a new clone body?

I can see it being true that he is a clone but it doesn't really make much sense given other information provided.

The bigger issue was that it is completely stuck on the end of this trilogy with absolutely no build towards it from the first two movies.

For me it makes more sense that the "other" Palps was the clone and what we saw in the last movie was the original ancient Palps. Hence the need for a machine to pump stuff into him and the decayed look of his body.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Total flop and a financial loss for Disney

Rubbish.

In The Force Awakens Han asks Maz where did you get that Lukes Sabre the reply a good question for another time.
    The whole of The Force Awakens was just a lame remake of the original Star Wars.

tumblr_p5g3jhbSp71rggwlco4_500.gifv

We could all see this trilogy was heading off the deep end.

Anybody expecting a coherent ending to this trilogy must not have been paying attention.:D

Rubbish.

In The Force Awakens Han asks Maz where did you get that Lukes Sabre the reply a good question for another time.
    The whole of The Force Awakens was just a lame remake of the original Star Wars.

tumblr_p5g3jhbSp71rggwlco4_500.gifv

We could all seen this trilogy was heading off the deep end.

Anybody expecting a coherent ending to this trilogy must not have been paying attention.:D

Like all movie series, eventually you’ve seen it all and i’ll admit Rise of Skywalker just about made it over the line, but it made it none the less. Still made over a billion and over 85% of general audiences liked it.

These new movies are like the children of famous movie star parents. They can be competent enough and even remind you of their parents, but they will always be seen as lesser than their illustrious predecessors and therefore failures.

A bit like Scott Eastwood or Colin Hanks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JRant wrote: »
    If palps is a clone then why is he in such terrible nick?

LateDeepEasternglasslizard-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, I suppose it'll be out soon enough on DVD and spoilers are allowed and all that. I.....I thought it was poor enough. I actually really enjoyed The Last Jedi. I thought it brought in some interesting ideas that were immediately dropped due to toxic "fan" backlash.

To those who were b1tching about Rey being a nobody (Which I thought was brilliant). Happy now? She is somebody....

I thought the idea that she was nobody was very interesting. And the fact that there were more Force-aware people out there than first thought was optimistic and helped expand the universe beyond the Skywalkers.

Sure, TLJ had its flaws: A poor bad guy in Snoake that was then killed; A perfect out for Leia that wasn't taken. But I thought it was by the most interesting of the new trilogy by a long shot.

I enjoyed the hell out of the first one 'cos the characters were likeable and fun and it was basically A New Hope.
    I thought the second one was the most interesting.
    I thought the third one was the weakest by far and all the toxic "fans" who vented their little racist, homophobic, neck-beard, man- child spleens on the Internet have to take their portion of the blame for the studio not taking chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Well, I suppose it'll be out soon enough on DVD and spoilers are allowed and all that. I.....I thought it was poor enough. I actually really enjoyed The Last Jedi. I thought it brought in some interesting ideas that were immediately dropped due to toxic "fan" backlash.

To those who were b1tching about Rey being a nobody (Which I thought was brilliant). Happy now? She is somebody....

I thought the idea that she was nobody was very interesting. And the fact that there were more Force-aware people out there than first thought was optimistic and helped expand the universe beyond the Skywalkers.

Sure, TLJ had its flaws: A poor bad guy in Snoake that was then killed; A perfect out for Leia that wasn't taken. But I thought it was by the most interesting of the new trilogy by a long shot.

I enjoyed the hell out of the first one 'cos the characters were likeable and fun and it was basically A New Hope.
    I thought the second one was the most interesting.
    I thought the third one was the weakest by far and all the toxic "fans" who vented their little racist, homophobic, neck-beard, man- child spleens on the Internet have to take their portion of the blame for the studio not taking chances.

The changes and retconning had nothing to do with ' little racist, homophobic, neck-beard, man- child' or whatever other imaginary internet people you want to declare yourself morally superior to.

It was a mixture of of Disney reacting to the money with every graph pointing towards the floor & JJ being butthurt that R Johnson pissed all over his **** mystery box plot strands from the first film.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The whole thing was shit from beginning to end, because those in charge had no idea what to do with it. No amount of excuses or blaming fans is going to change that. It was Disney that fucked things up.

As for 'The Last Jedi' being "the most interesting", that really isn't saying much, when the other options are a cut'n'paste job and a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair if they had just built organically on TLJ the trilogy would've been fairly OK.

I don't agree with all the choices made in TFA or TLJ, but when the final act was still a great unknown, and accepting that TFA was an imperfect but serviceable reboot of ANH, they were perfectly OK and a strong finish could've strengthened them even further.

It was TROS that sunk the trilogy. It's entirely watchable but it's intentional and baffling lack of cohesion with what came before (and absurdly nonsensical plot) is just unforgivable.... and the whole trilogy as a unit, as a result, is a total mess.

In the end all said and done TFA is probably the most solid all-rounder of the 3, The Last Jedi has by far the best individual bits.....and Rise of Skywalker is just Attack of the Clones level guff with better acting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

This film is a blatant hot mess. I saw it five times in the cinema (go lighthouse!!) and I enjoyed it more and more each time after just learning ok you have to just let go and let it go where it takes you.

That said. When it works it really works. The Han Luke And Leia scenes especially. This was the Luke I wish we’d gotten in the last one. Not getting involved but encouraging and enabling and training her.
    Leia dies? Thought it was handled carefully and beautifully. But to immediately follow with That Scene with Han? I mean your just dead inside if that didn’t hit you. Adam ****in driver. A god. (Ford only returned because Fisher had died. That scene was meant to be with her)
    . Each time I saw it I bawled crying as did everyone in the theaters I was in. Audibly and openly.
    Such a fun film but the end with the battles and the emperor of it all and the fvckin kiss? Jaysis.
    But!
    Right now? It feels like a poor ending to the skywalker saga. (Ps I loved how it ended. I just wish Anakin and Ben Solo has been there with Luke and Leia)

But give it time and it’s there whether we like or not. Kids effing loved it and if that’s their entry into Star Wars and us grumpy internet middle aged cynical fat cranks don’t get it? Well this wasn’t for us. It was for them. As it always and will be.

That’s all.

Hope you’re all well.

david75

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think this is a solid fan Anakin/Vader montage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

this is another doozy:
    a3wcn7jkgel41.png
    why cant they just leave it alone?

also rumours flying around that kathleen kennedy has been banned from the set of mandalorian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Burgo wrote: »
    this is another doozy:
    a3wcn7jkgel41.png
    why cant they just leave it alone?

also rumours flying around that kathleen kennedy has been banned from the set of mandalorian.
    FFS! She never even met those two on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's just gets more and more ridiculous. It's like Disney's throwing out familiar names, trying anything at all, to make it look like they know what they're on about.

Leia hearing the voices of people she's never even clapped eyes on has to be one of the worst bits I've heard. She'd be committed to the Jedi nuthouse.

They really need to stop with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha jesus, i smell a new hope of a Leia movie/show brewing :pac::(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Runaway hit highest gross beating The force Awakens
    FFS! She never even met those two on screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohsLZxQYBk8&t=2m4s
    Yoda's in the next room, too. :p

I take your point though. They've fairly soured the whole thing for me, and I loved the old movies, and especially the extended universe books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Acosta

Read that this is now available to stream. They brought it forward because of corona. Any idea what service it's streaming on in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Acosta wrote: »
    Read that this is now available to stream. They brought it forward because of corona. Any idea what service it's streaming on in Ireland?

Streaming? I doubt it. Probably mean digital download. iTunes etc. Which I don’t think it’s that unusual to see early releases for as they tend to leak anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's available on Amazon somewhere I think

They’ll have a hard time beating the director and the Jedi documentary on last Jedi which I enjoyed more than the film it just was brilliant.
    but apparently the making of doco on this is even better.
    I love the nuts and bolts and guts stuff more than the films sometimes so call me a nerd but it’s so cool getting behind the curtain.

Itunes Extras:

The Skywalker Legacy - 2 hour doc

Pasana Pursuit: Creating the speeder chase 14 minutes
    Aliens in the Desert - 6 minute
    D-O Key to the past 5:35 minutes
    Warwick & Son 5:38
    Cast of Creatures 7:45
    The Mestro's Finale 11 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Is this available in Ireland or just the states? It is only preorder on iTunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

CptMackey wrote: »
    Is this available in Ireland or just the states? It is only preorder on iTunes

I think early next month here.

Look it was total rubbish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Watched it at the weekend,much better than episode 8.

It’s out everywhere except here it seems. Still on pre order on iTunes.

Got my hands on the making of doco that comes with. It’s so brilliant.
    It’s packed. The lengths they go to and amount of people involved in making these films is just absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Runaways wrote: »
    The lengths they go to and amount of people involved in making these films is just absolutely mental.

Except sadly the most important thing ,the actual script.
    Like the last series of Game of Thrones ,fabulous production and detail but a woeful script.

• Advertisement

Except sadly the most important thing ,the actual script.
    Like the last series of Game of Thrones ,fabulous production and detail but a woeful script.

Wasn’t for the lack of ideas. Rather I’d say there were too many. (That whole Harry Potter planet with the village and the little alien and 3PO. Pointless)

But when you think about it the whole mirror cave scene in the last Jedi and Ray seeing two bodies merge into one as well as all the copies/clones of her, flows beautifully into what we saw in this.

But all of it not even half baked upon delivery.

Have that doco in my Dropbox if anyone wants a link. Message me. It’s a brilliant watch. Where they found all that footage from the making of the original films I’ll never know. So much I’d never seen.Even Tarkin in a blooper reel with Leia. It’s so cool

Advertisement