Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-12-2017, 13:08   #1
starvin

Next Star Trek movie discussion

http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tar...ar-trek-movie/

Quentin Tarantino in talks about the next Star Trek movie.
Advertisement
05-12-2017, 18:26   #2
PhiloCypher

The path of the Federation is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish Ferengi and the tyranny of the Klingons. Blessed is the Captain who, in compliance with the Federation charter, shepherds the weak through Borg Space, for they are truly Starfleets finest, and the finder of new species. And we will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious diplomacy those who attempt to poison and destroy our member planets. And you will know our name is the Federation Starship Enterprise when we launch our photon Torpedos upon thee!
05-12-2017, 19:00   #3
pixelburp

I couldn't think of a writer less compatible with Trek than Tarantino. It's all well and good having a big name at the helm, but they should at least be a good fit for the franchise. This all sounds like a horrendous idea myself; the Kurtzman/Orci scripts will suddenly seem like peak Trek in comparison.
05-12-2017, 19:24   #4

Picturing Kirk, smoking a cigars smelling of whiskey, with a samurai sword and machine gun for a leg slicing up and shooting Klingons, blood all over the walls, with an epic quote.

Completely bizarre.
Thanks from:
05-12-2017, 19:28   #5
dilallio

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvin View Post
http://www.slashfilm.com/quentin-tar...ar-trek-movie/

Quentin Tarantino in talks about the next Star Trek movie.
They're going to need another 50 science-officers ...
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-12-2017, 19:57   #6
TherapyBoy

At least the soundtrack will be awesome.
05-12-2017, 20:06   #7
DivingDuck

This is like when you hear about pregnant women eating burgers with ice cream on them or something: I love both of those things, but the prospect of putting them together seems really wrong.

That said, I don't give a toss about the future of the Kelvin timeline, so I would actually find this hilarious and I'd be curious enough to give it a watch.
05-12-2017, 21:06   #8
degrassinoel
Assume the position

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyBoy View Post
At least the soundtrack will be awesome.
just thinking that myself, but yeah, this sounds like an awful, awful idea.

What's the bets Uma Thurman will be in it?
05-12-2017, 22:26   #9
TherapyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrassinoel View Post

What's the bets Uma Thurman will be in it?
Barefoot no doubt!
Advertisement
05-12-2017, 22:52   #10
Slydice

Mr Blonde and Policeman Nash at Tanagra
07-12-2017, 11:18   #11
murpho999

Joking aside, is it really a bad idea?

Last film was awful and very non-Star Trek.

Tarantino is an intelligent writer and has shown in the past that he is capable of directing different genres from War, Martial Arts and Westerns and not really doing bad at all.

There would be certain things he'd have to conform too and I think he could produce a better story line with better dialogue.
(2) thanks from:
07-12-2017, 11:26   #12
sheesh

did you see sign outside my house that said dead klingon storage Worf?
07-12-2017, 11:31   #13
pixelburp

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post
Joking aside, is it really a bad idea?
His voice & approach to narratives is all wrong for the franchise; you say he has turned his hand to different genres, and ostensibly that's true, but you'd never mistake The Hateful Eight for anything other than a Tarantino movie. His dialogue has a very specific ear of that hyper-exaggerated 'realistic' style you find in all his films. That just wouldn't work in a suite of films that swing between glorified submarine thrillers (Which to be fair, does remind me that Crimson Tide showed Tarantino can write for action), or just big blockbuster thrill rides that typify the latterday series. Indeed, Tarantino's films are full of tropes & idiosyncrasies - from the soundtrack choices, the foot fetishes etc - and none of those would sit within the world of the Federation.

You might as well suggest David Lynch direct a Trek movie for all the sense it makes; yes it's a bizarre, heady mix that's kinda enticing in its own way, but in reality they don't gel together.

Now, Denis Villeneuve directing a Star Trek; yes please. There's a director with a unique vision and set of creative sensibilities that work in many genres, but doesn't let those overwhelm the story on-screen. But as I said when he was rumoured to direct for Star Wars, that'd mean he had to abandon the Dune adaptation, and I'd much prefer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpho999 View Post

Last film was awful and very non-Star Trek..
Disagree 100%: it had some big plot holes, choppy action sequences & a rushed last act, but '...Beyond' was the most blatant example of an episode of Star Trek TV transplanted to the cinema since 'Star Trek: Insurrection' - only this time being actually fun & enjoyable. I genuinely don't get the hate for it: it was the first of the rebooted franchise that actually remembered to have its crew explore strange new worlds and maintain a utopian vision of the future.
Thanks from:
07-12-2017, 11:34   #14
Mickeroo
Category Moderator

t's a strange matchup but I think he's more versatile than his own films let on. Would be very interested to see how he handles an existing franchise with a few more constraints to deal with.

Didn't he write Crimson Tide? The most acclaimed Trek film was basically a submarine movie so who knows....
Thanks from:
07-12-2017, 11:59   #15
murpho999

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelburp View Post
His voice & approach to narratives is all wrong for the franchise; you say he has turned his hand to different genres, and ostensibly that's true, but you'd never mistake The Hateful Eight for anything other than a Tarantino movie. His dialogue has a very specific ear of that hyper-exaggerated 'realistic' style you find in all his films. That just wouldn't work in a suite of films that swing between glorified submarine thrillers (Which to be fair, does remind me that Crimson Tide showed Tarantino can write for action), or just big blockbuster thrill rides that typify the latterday series. Indeed, Tarantino's films are full of tropes & idiosyncrasies - from the soundtrack choices, the foot fetishes etc - and none of those would sit within the world of the Federation.
Don't you think Tarantino is intelligent enough to realise that too? I'm sure he knows what he can and can't do.
Also, I'd say the script would be written with a team of writers for balance.

Quote:
You might as well suggest David Lynch direct a Trek movie for all the sense it makes; yes it's a bizarre, heady mix that's kinda enticing in its own way, but in reality they don't gel together.
I think Lynch and Tarantino are completely different ideas.

Quote:
Now, Denis Villeneuve directing a Star Trek; yes please. There's a director with a unique vision and set of creative sensibilities that work in many genres, but doesn't let those overwhelm the story on-screen. But as I said when he was rumoured to direct for Star Wars, that'd mean he had to abandon the Dune adaptation, and I'd much prefer that.
Agree about Villeneuve. I really liked Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival.

Quote:
Disagree 100%: it had some big plot holes, choppy action sequences & a rushed last act, but '...Beyond' was the most blatant example of an episode of Star Trek TV transplanted to the cinema since 'Star Trek: Insurrection' - only this time being actually fun & enjoyable. I genuinely don't get the hate for it: it was the first of the rebooted franchise that actually remembered to have its crew explore strange new worlds and maintain a utopian vision of the future.
Well this is all down to opinion but I didn't enjoy the last one as it was far too action based for me and didn't really stick to the idea of Star Trek of encountering new life and worlds.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion