Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-07-2010, 17:21   #1

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

Threads for Anime/Manga recommendations for newbies and fans alike are always popping up on this forum, so I thought I'd make one handy thread that contains all this information.

First off, for the newbies:

What is Anime?

Anime is, quite simply, animation that originates in Japan. Anime is generally considered to be a medium that is made up of many genres. Anime is very easily distinguished from other types of animation due to it's visual characteristics.
The most common misconception of anime is that it is "just for kids". This is simply not true. Yes, there are plenty of series aimed solely at kids but the great thing about anime is there is something for everyone. Many series contain much darker, adult themes.

What is the difference between a "dub" and a "sub"?

Anime series are either dubbed or subbed for English speaking viewers. Dubbed means that the original Japanese dialogue has been replaced with English dialogue by English speaking voice actors. Subbed refers to anime that retains it's original Japanese dialogue and is subtitled in English.

What is Manga?

Manga are the Japanese version of comics. Like anime, there are many genres of manga and all age groups and interests are catered for. Manga are often adopted into anime series and less often, anime is adopted into a manga series.

Recommendations

A common question that arises in this forum is: "I'm new to anime, what would you recommend me to watch as an introduction to the medium?"

Well this all depends on what you're into of course. However, there are some series/films that many people recommend to newbies. Have a look at the articles I've linked to (they contain a synopsis and reviews of the series) and pick one your interested in.

Series:
- Dragonball Z/ Dragonball Kai
- Bleach
- Naruto
- Death Note
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Cowboy Bebop

Films:
- Any of the Studio Ghibli films
- Akira
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
- Rebuild of Evangelion films

So you've found an anime you love and are interested in watching something similiar or in the same genre. Well, make sure you check out this site as it lists anime by genre and is very useful (NOTE: After clicking on the genre you are interested in make sure you click on the ANIME tab to see the list - there is also a manga tab).
Another incredibly useful site is MyAnimeList. Here you can keep track of anime that you have watched/ are watching, read reviews, check out personalized recommendations and view high scoring animes.

Finally, here's a quick run down of anime/manga that are commonly recommended by users of this forum:

- Clannad
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC
- Elfen Lied
- Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Gundam
- Tenchi Muyo
- Ouran High School Host Club
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Baccano
- Sailor Moon
- Code Geass
- FLCL
- Haruhi Suziyama

Remember, there are many, many different anime series and films out there so if you don't like one - try another!

Also, if anyone would like to add to this or has any other information to share please feel free to do so!

Another excellent resource site is the Anime & Manga Portal on Wikipedia. Very concise!

Last edited by Konata; 16-07-2010 at 13:22.
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 17:29   #2
cherryghost
Frequent Support Feeder

Send a message via MSN to cherryghost Send a message via Yahoo to cherryghost Send a message via Skype™ to cherryghost
Nice simple beginners guide. Would be handy to sticky this
Thanks from:
14-07-2010, 20:43   #3
D4RK ONION

That's a great guide, Hotaru recommended Akira to me recently, and as a first time Anime watcher, I freaking loved it! I'll take a look at that recommendation site, thanks for the link!
Thanks from:
14-07-2010, 21:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RK ONION View Post
That's a great guide, Hotaru recommended Akira to me recently, and as a first time Anime watcher, I freaking loved it! I'll take a look at that recommendation site, thanks for the link!

I am surprised you have time to be watching this inbetween bouts of street fighter.. have you not cv's to be sending off
14-07-2010, 21:04   #5
Novella

Great thread, Hotaru. I love The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, my absolute favourite. <3
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-07-2010, 21:22   #6
Agnostic Mantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4RK ONION View Post

And to think I used to talk to you...

Cowboy Bebop - amazing. There's some nice remastered/PAL versions out at the mo which I must get my mits on. Also, seeing Dragonball Z up there makes me all nostalgic.

I didn't see Macross Plus or Patlabor on the list, they're pretty accessible serieseseses/movies. Also, there's a movie called Metropolis, released in 2001, which I thought was excellent.

It's a pity Cartoon Network doesn't show its late-night anime anymore, that's what started me off.

This list will definately get the ball rolling for people new to the stuff, good job!

Last edited by Agnostic Mantis; 14-07-2010 at 21:25.
Thanks from:
14-07-2010, 23:30   #7

Excellent thread/sticky Death Note forever <3
Thanks from:
15-07-2010, 00:25   #8

Excellent thread! About time someone decided to put some time into this forum!
(2) thanks from:
15-07-2010, 23:37   #9

Allow me to recommend Outlaw Star. It was one of the first series I ever watched back when Toonami used to show anime at night. Link provides a much better synopsis than I can presently give
Opening music kicks serious ass too

The Big O is also worth a look in. Think Batman meets Gigantor meets the Truman Show in terms of concept. It wins on style alone.

.Hack//SIGN as well as the other entries in .Hack franchise as a whole are another bunch of series that are worth getting into but often suffer pacing issues despite their merits. All deal with a MMORPG called the World and a suspicious incident leading to the players ending up in comas and suffering from physical and psychological truama as a result.
Also has pretty catchy music

Timeline Anime wise it goes SIGN-> DUSK-> ROOTS
ROOTS wins on style. Manages to capture what the series is like best through atmosphere the best too
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-07-2010, 23:48   #10

Oh! 5 cm per second is so very very pretty it merits watching.

/hates self for posting an amv
19-07-2010, 14:38   #11
Varik

For anyone who took Craguls suggestion and wants to watch .hack here is the order to watch them chronologically as there seems to be a lot of confusion on this that i found when trying to move on from //SIGN. this include the ova and the official name of dusk.

1) .hack//SIGN
2) .hack//INFECTION / .hack//LIMINALITY OVA1
3) .hack//MUTATION / .hack//LIMINALITY OVA2
4) .hack//OUTBREAK / .hack//LIMINALITY OVA3
5) .hack//QUARANTINE / .hack//LIMINALITY OVA4
6) .hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT (dusk)
7) .hack//ROOTS
Thanks from:
20-07-2010, 14:57   #12

Nice tread. i recomened Inital D but you will be waiting for the last sage if you get into it.
The best suspence one i wached was Perfect Blue really messed with my head.
20-07-2010, 20:45   #13
Funky

Doesn't seem to be many manga recommendations here so I'll suggest a few of my favourites:

Berserk - dark medieval/fantasy story, awesome art and characters. Not for the faint of heart. Only bad thing about it is it's not finished and the releases are pretty slow these days.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Seems a generic heroes chosen to save the world story but it has a twist to it. Some of the best characters I've read in a manga. Don't let the weird name put you off 8)

20th Century Boys - mystery story full of twists and turns. Hard to explain what it's all about without writing an essay on it but it's a great read.
Thanks from:
20-07-2010, 21:51   #14
Varik

yankee-kun to megane-chan (manga) it's the manga i look forward to.
Thanks from:
22-07-2010, 06:27   #15

I like most of your choice. I would like also to add a recommendation:... This is one of my favorite anime in the present. I really like it

Hope you like it also
You can watch the preview here:

Last edited by Konata; 22-07-2010 at 10:24. Reason: Stupid link

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion