Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-04-2007, 15:33   #46
smashey
Administrator

Admin: GAA Mods, GAA, ZTest
dolanbaker, this is a sticky. Too much sun in Athlone.
Advertisement
06-04-2007, 15:52   #47
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashey
06-04-2007, 16:12   #48
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashey

What I meant is just one page dedicated to websites & blogs.

No sun for me, stuck in work in Tallaght
07-04-2007, 07:07   #49

Now we can post here also. We just got permission to build our 100M2 extension to our 1920-ish cottage her in Mayo.
It will be open plan living/kitchen/dining (5.5 x 14m)and then a huge utilityroom (3.5 x 6m). The existing cottage will become all bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and study.

It looks as if we have to do it ourself as we can't find a builder who is willing to qoute. They either come, say yes, yes, yes and you never see them again, or they don't come at all.
It can't be because it's too small a job, 100M2. That's almost a complete seize for a cottage.

But, if they don't want, ok, we'll do it ourself.
Next week we will go and have a look at a few houses that are being build with poroton block, because that's what we are going to use. 365mm with the special plaster for in and outside. No extra insulation as we don't want an airtight house. We always have a window or door open somewhere for the dogs, the cats or just because we love the fresh air comming in and the birds singing outside.
And we will have a stove, so then it's not airtight anyway.

We'll keep you updated.
15-04-2007, 13:26   #50

Self Build planning permission and Costs.

Hi,
I am trying to buy a site with outline planning at the moment in Mayo, but there is an anurement clause attached. Can any one offer advice on the best way to handle or recommend an engineer to assist? Also, looking ahead to the build ( if I can get planning ) can anyone offer the cost per st ft of their home or something similar to 2 storey 3500 st ft.
Thanks,
mac p
Advertisement
15-04-2007, 13:56   #51
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac p
Hi,
I am trying to buy a site with outline planning at the moment in Mayo, but there is an anurement clause attached. Can any one offer advice on the best way to handle or recommend an engineer to assist? Also, looking ahead to the build ( if I can get planning ) can anyone offer the cost per st ft of their home or something similar to 2 storey 3500 st ft.
Thanks,
mac p
What type of inurement is it?

Also you can read back through this thread and also the How long did your build take sticky on the main page where you will get info on prices etc
15-04-2007, 19:21   #52

Hi Muffler,

The son of the site owner received the outline permission and he must build and live in the property, he may sell the house after 5 years. Some advice would suggest that there is a way around this clause.
rgds
mac p
16-04-2007, 16:52   #53
alibride

self build update

well the foundation was started in late december. they are starting the roof on friday. the scoffolding is going up on wed (didnt budget for that)!! meeting the window guy 2moro, so hopefully the roof and stuff should be fully completed by mid may!! have the electrician and plumber sorted, trying to decide on a plasterer at the moment got quotes from 11.5k to 15k (2100sq ft house) and large garage!!
the weather is great to start building now - long may it last.....
17-04-2007, 07:31   #54

As we want to build our house with Poroton block we had a look at a house that is currently being build. We got the tel. no. from FBT.
Michael, that is the guy that is building these houses, showed us the house. He worked with poroton in Germany for more then 12 years and now started his own business here back in Ireland.
He uses German builders and a house goes up in three days up to ring beam level. Of course it depends on the size of the house. This one was 18 x 9 m. Dormer style.
It looks really very, very good. He will quote us for our extension and maybe it is tempting enough to let him do the building work instead of doing it ourself.

I'll post here as soon as we get his quote.
Advertisement
18-04-2007, 19:19   #55

planning issues

have been advised to meet with the planning auth to discuss the issue before making an application, any one with any advice would be great?
18-04-2007, 20:14   #56
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac p
have been advised to meet with the planning auth to discuss the issue before making an application, any one with any advice would be great?
Mac p, this particular thread is concentrating more on the construction end of things and although we have stretched a point to accomodate the odd planning query you are in fact quite a bit away from that stage. Please start a new thread if you have queries in relation to pre-planning issues. I was going to advise you to do this with your first post but it contained a question in relation to building cost so I let it go then.

For any other users reading through this thread we would like to keep the posts referring only to the constuction stages if possible. We can make a seperate sticky for planning queries if necessary.
25-04-2007, 16:33   #57
thekooman

a long road....

currently blocking ground floor in my(our! ) self build. hope to have hollowcore put in in the next 2 weeks.

doing a little self study these days on what kind of wiring i am going to put in. am thinking 2 network points to each room, one can be used for telephone if need be! loads to think about, alarm, cctv, network, video distribution, solar panels......

note to Salmon above: if you are ready for felting, then you will need a plasterer once that is done to plaster your chimney before the slates/tiles go on. i might be wrong, you might have no chimneys!
even though i am a long way off plastering, i have a crew booked already as we have the chimney to plaster, a step in the house as well and then get the outside plastered as soon as the windows are put in so we can get rid of the scaffolding outside!
25-04-2007, 16:39   #58
Salmon

Send a message via MSN to Salmon
Cheers kooman! The carpenter (My Bro) Told me this yesterday and I think I'll be ok for the chimneys! I have an uncle who is a plasterer and my fiancees uncle is also one so I might give them a call to get that part done at the weekend! Not sure who I'll get to plaster the whole house yet! Decisions decisions. I just got a plastering quote of €6 ft2 but beat him down to €5 *nudge wink. How does that compare to current quotes other people are getting for plastering?
25-04-2007, 16:44   #59
thekooman

i have been told upteen times.... "cheaper is not always better!" and i have seen it already! my plasterer is 20k for a 300m2 house(storey and a half) and 48m2 garage!
I tried 4 men for quotes, only got 2 back!
30-04-2007, 15:08   #60
alibride

Roof still not started

Our roofer was supposed to come on the 2nd of April, then it was the 16th, then today but now its changed to Wedneday, so we are a month behind and would like to be in by Xmas.!!
I presume this is the start of things to come........

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion